Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 09:42 AM

279 posts, read 447,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I
I honestly got greedy and wanted the most bang for my buck so I am building it.
There is nothing wrong with this. You get what you want designed for whatever you plan to do with it. I'm running a whole house DVR that consists of a main DVR and two remote frontend boxes. In this case size and noise are primary concerns. No or almost no fans are preferred and the remote boxes had to be very small but still have enough umph to drive a display at 1080p. Tricky problem that was easier to solve by building.

Unfortunately, Charlotte isn't much for this sort of thing retail. That is why I went online for parts. I suspect it might be a bit better in the Triangle, but it's not worth the drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 10:11 AM

834 posts, read 1,015,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barфsa View Post
There is nothing wrong with this. You get what you want designed for whatever you plan to do with it. I'm running a whole house DVR that consists of a main DVR and two remote frontend boxes. In this case size and noise are primary concerns. No or almost no fans are preferred and the remote boxes had to be very small but still have enough umph to drive a display at 1080p. Tricky problem that was easier to solve by building.

Unfortunately, Charlotte isn't much for this sort of thing retail. That is why I went online for parts. I suspect it might be a bit better in the Triangle, but it's not worth the drive.
People avoid fans on those builds because they buy ball bearing and sleeve bearing fans and assume all fans are noisy and wear fast..

Fluid dynamic bearing and magnetic fans just barely produce human noise range sound.. Magnetics are the best.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
People avoid fans on those builds because they buy ball bearing and sleeve bearing fans and assume all fans are noisy and wear fast..

Fluid dynamic bearing and magnetic fans just barely produce human noise range sound.. Magnetics are the best.
No. The noise comes from the moving air, or rather blades moving through air. Bearing noise has little to do with it. If you have to have a fan it's best to have one moving as slowly as possible. My solution to this is to take the fan apart, place a miniscule drop of air compressor oil on the fan bearing, put it back together, and then wire an appropriate resister in series on V+ to drop the voltage across the fan coil. Works like a charm and in in this case the bearing is completely irrelevant because the fan doesn't turn fast enough for it to matter.

it's better if you can go with completely passive cooling for a low noise box, but sometimes this isn't practical.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
No. The noise comes from the moving air, or rather blades moving through air. Bearing noise has little to do with it. If you have to have a fan it's best to have one moving as slowly as possible. My solution to this is to take the fan apart, place a miniscule drop of air compressor oil on the fan bearing, put it back together, and then wire an appropriate resister in series on V+ to drop the voltage across the fan coil. Works like a charm and in in this case the bearing is completely irrelevant because the fan doesn't turn fast enough for it to matter.

it's better if you can go with completely passive cooling for a low noise box, but sometimes this isn't practical.

One issue with passive is if you're decoding videos for playback all night and you shut down, thermal expansion causes cheaper solder on cheap motherboards to crack, usually under CPU, northbridge or southbridge. You can reflow it if you're skilled, and it'll just do it again..

fans are cheaper than motherboards and a potentially CPUs..

Of course being IT veterans with years of hands on experience, some people in this thread must of known this..

Old 08-18-2013, 01:47 PM

It's not thermal expansion that would be the issue as that is the same in either case. It's thermal shock. Thermal shock is worse with a fan solution because the delta T is much faster.

If you pour hot water into a cold glass, it shatters. Thermal shock. If you gradually warm the glass up, it has no problem with the hot water. Lack of thermal shock.

Generally, this really isn't an issue with cards anyway. The vapor phase & wave soldering processes subject the cards to far higher temperatures than what the CPU or GPU will ever generate. Tin/lead solder (or the newer lead free mixes) are quite stable and also slightly elastic. It won't crack.

-----------

I leave the main DVR running all the time. It only uses 47 watts on idle. This makes it available to record at anytime or act as a frontend for the TV it's connected to. The two remote FEs get turned off when they are not being used. They boot up in about 5 seconds given that they are running off a cheap SSD & linux, so it isn't an issue.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
It's not thermal expansion that would be the issue as that is the same in either case. It's thermal shock. Thermal shock is worse with a fan solution because the delta T is much faster.

If you pour hot water into a cold glass, it shatters. Thermal shock. If you gradually warm the glass up, it has no problem with the hot water. Lack of thermal shock.

Generally, this really isn't an issue with cards anyway. The vapor phase & wave soldering processes subject the cards to far higher temperatures than what the CPU or GPU will ever generate. Tin/lead solder (or the newer lead free mixes) are quite stable and also slightly elastic. It won't crack.

-----------

I leave the main DVR running all the time. It only uses 47 watts on idle. This makes it available to record at anytime or act as a frontend for the TV it's connected to. The two remote FEs get turned off when they are not being used. They boot up in about 5 seconds given that they are running off a cheap SSD & linux, so it isn't an issue.

Your physics and chemistry are filled with assumptions. With a fan the material states never reach a temperature high enough to be affected by rapid decrease, unless there is inadequate thermal power. Engineers at motherboard companies seem to agree with me hence why they started using epoxy additives and gluing corners; which only keeps it from happening sooner, unless they design for maximum TDP and have firmware teams cap voltage limiters and/or use more idle states..

I'm done with the thread. Most of my posts will probably be deleted anyway..

Old 08-18-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
Your physics and chemistry are filled with assumptions. ...thermal power. ....Engineers at motherboard companies ..
It's filled with experience & knowledge. I am an engineer and have designed electronic cards for a living and seen them through all the processes used in high volume manufacturing.

The purpose for the glue is to hold the components in place while they are being soldered. This is especially important if a wave solder is used. In the days of PTH (pin through hole) only there was no glue because the pick and place inserters would crimp the pins. No pins means glue is needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte