Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 07:06 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,569,264 times

Advertisements

I am still not getting FOX 46.1 clearly and I am in south Charlotte. Any idea if that will change or I just have to live with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 11:14 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,353,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
We will have to complain as we aren't getting NBC or CBS anymore. We get Fox and ABC great, but we've scanned and rescanned and nothing. What's interesting is that some of our neighbors get it and some don't. I'm guessing it's the strength of the antenna they have and perhaps the position of their house/antenna.
Be ware that Charlotte stations transmit from 2 different locations, western Gaston County and northeast Charlotte. So you may need to find a sweet spot to aim your antenna between the 2 locations.

3, 36, and 46/55 broadcast from Gaston County near Dallas, and 9, 64, and 18 are in Mecklenburg County near Newell.

A proper antenna and amplifier is necessary for reliable reception. You may consider Clearstream 4MAX, Antop 400BV, and Antop 800SBS. The Antop antennas come with adjustable gain amplifiers and have an indoor stand, but may also be used outdoors or in the attic.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I am still not getting FOX 46.1 clearly and I am in south Charlotte. Any idea if that will change or I just have to live with it?
They are now full power with a stronger signal on their new repack channel 25. You may need to rescan again.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:12 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
We will have to complain as we aren't getting NBC or CBS anymore. We get Fox and ABC great, but we've scanned and rescanned and nothing. What's interesting is that some of our neighbors get it and some don't. I'm guessing it's the strength of the antenna they have and perhaps the position of their house/antenna.
I'm going to reposition my antenna at the beginning of October. I decided that that's enough time for them to be set up.

I don't know what all WBTV has been doing, but they've been making adjustments.

Do you have a signal amplifier connected to or built into your antenna?

Old 09-24-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm going to reposition my antenna at the beginning of October. I decided that that's enough time for them to be set up.

I don't know what all WBTV has been doing, but they've been making adjustments.

Do you have a signal amplifier connected to or built into your antenna?
Yes Antop 800SBS antenna has a built in amplifier and my attic antenna 8bay is connected to Winegard LNA200 preamplifier.

A better antenna and good amplifier is crucial to reliable reception. That may be part of the problem.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Yes Antop 800SBS antenna has a built in amplifier and my attic antenna 8bay is connected to Winegard LNA200 preamplifier.

A better antenna and good amplifier is crucial to reliable reception. That may be part of the problem.
Part of my problem may be fixed by tweaking the antenna position. The current position was determined by setting for best position to pull in UNCTV Asheville and UNCTV Concord. I'm going to have to pick a different pair, I think.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:04 PM

Since UNC-TV has shut down their interfering translators, I now get reliable reception of WSOC on their new repack channel. There had previously been problems in the western fringes of NC and Upstate SC. The new Channel 9 signal is stronger than before, and helps cover the gap from the old Crowder's Mountain translator. When the translator moves to VHF it may be harder to receive, so it is good the main signal is stronger. I am now able to reliably receive the main WSOC signal in Spartanburg County, so their repack has indeed been an improvement.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Overall, WSOC is better, but having the translator back would be helpful.

I'm wondering if WYFF has dialed back the Gaffney translator power, or possibly don't have it up and running yet. WCNC is still missing in action most of the time. I'll wait for October, and if I still don't have NBC most of the time, I'll call WCNC and lodge a complaint. If I call them, I'll promise them that the next time that I contact them it will be via a letter, with copies to the FCC and NBC. Giving me coverage is their responsibility, not the responsibility of WYFF.

I'll also wait until October to tweak the antenna. I want the signals to be as stable as possible, first.

WBTV is having big internal problems, which they are saying is new equipment. Sounds fishy to me. In the 20 years that I worked in TV as a broadcast technician, new equipment came with massive assistance from the manufacturers. Software changes meant numerous personnel were sent to the company for training.
WBTV still having major technical problems from new equipment. Thursday they were unable to broadcast the 6pm news, and aired a rerun. And signal strength was up and down rather than normally strong and stable. They may possibly be moving parts of master control to Atlanta or some other remote location since the Gray takeover, and that could be causing part of the problem. But not sure to what degree, but cost cutting measures may be in effect since the transition from Raycom. But whatever the case, hope it all eventually gets corrected. But still no coanchor for 11pm news since Paul Cameron retired.

Also WSOC parent company Cox Media has been sold to private investment company, and the Atlanta flagship newspaper AJC and WSB radio and TV operations have been split off and sold to separate entities. More mergers and consolidations.

Also WSOC has several new anchor/reporters. But still don't know what happened to Paul Boyd unless contract dropped due to salary issue or some other reason. But he was good going back to his days at Inside Edition.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:06 AM

821 posts, read 1,854,700 times
Default Over the Air (OTA) for TV Stations

Use this web site to determine your location in relation to the TV towers. https://www.antennaweb.org/

From this, if you have not already seen the tower location in reference to where you live, this may help.

I had the same problem with OTA when it comes to WSOC because of my location (Matthews) in relation to their tower vs other primary station towers (NW of my location), where WSOC is NE of my location. I am NOT an engineer nor do I profess to understand the issues related to signals and signal strength, but a medium multi-directional antenna should solve your problems without a pre-amp to boost reception.

Old 10-21-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
WBTV still having major technical problems from new equipment. Thursday they were unable to broadcast the 6pm news, and aired a rerun. And signal strength was up and down rather than normally strong and stable. They may possibly be moving parts of master control to Atlanta or some other remote location since the Gray takeover, and that could be causing part of the problem. But not sure to what degree, but cost cutting measures may be in effect since the transition from Raycom. But whatever the case, hope it all eventually gets corrected. But still no coanchor for 11pm news since Paul Cameron retired.

Also WSOC parent company Cox Media has been sold to private investment company, and the Atlanta flagship newspaper AJC and WSB radio and TV operations have been split off and sold to separate entities. More mergers and consolidations.

Also WSOC has several new anchor/reporters. But still don't know what happened to Paul Boyd unless contract dropped due to salary issue or some other reason. But he was good going back to his days at Inside Edition.
I'm wondering if WSOC is trying to turn their employees into part-time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte