Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2013, 04:32 PM

19 posts, read 28,475 times

Advertisements

SunnyKayak posted this in another thread. I thought I could copy it into a new thread, but didn't quite work. Anway, I just did a copy and paste and listed my answers to her questionnaire in blue.

[quote=SunnyKayak;22597909]Hi welcome,

To help the members of the forum guide you more quickly towards a compatible neighborhood and lifestyle, here are "just a few" starter questions to choose from.

When are you moving? Hopefully next Spring (2014)
Where are you coming from? Wisconsin
Why are you moving? Possible job opportunity, be closer to family, and better weather
Where will your work location be? The new oulet mall near Steele Creek
Maximum commute time desired? No more than 25 minutes one way
What city are you moving to? Looking at Steele Creek area, but want other suggestions as well
Have you been here yet? Not yet. Planning trip beginning of October

Will you buy or rent? Rent at first, but will buy once we settle in
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Would prefer to rent a house or duplex. Is it possible to get a decent 2 br place for $1000 or less?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Prefer no steps if possible, but wouldn't rule out to get the "best of the best"

Are you married or single? Do you have children? married with a 3 year old child
Do you prefer public or private schools? Can't afford private, so public it is
Do you have pets? one cat, so rental needs to accept pets
Do you want or need a yard? Definitely when we buy
Do you have a car? or need public transportation? 2 cars and we may keep our boat. (yeah that will be fun to deal with while renting)
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? A little bit of both. We don't mind living in suburbia as long as shops and stuff are within a 15-20 min drive. Would be neat to walk to shops, but we have never done that before.

Specific wants/desires? Safe area that is kid-friendly. Haven't rented since I was just out of high school, so is it best to go with a broker especially since we are out of state? Need a list of rental properties in the Steele Creek area (or other areas that might match my criteria here). Would like to rent in the same area that we eventually buy a house.

. Have you searched this forum for answers to your questions before posting a new inquiry? Yes, I have spent hours/days/weeks/months reading the Charlotte forum. Have gotten lots of great info! I also threadjacked a few forums, but didn't know I was doing that--oops.

. What specific topic have you not found answers to? With regard to a job at the new outlet, Steele Creek area seems a no brainer. I am curious as to Pineville. Didn't get any feedback on that city. Someone said Waxhaw and Matthews, during peak travel times would have my husband stuck in traffic. Would this include Pineville as well. Also, rental topics I have read are outdated, so would like recent info on ones to avoid and ones that are decent.
If we want to get the most feel of Steele Creek when we visit, what area hotels would be best? Pineville area?? Sorry for so much info, but now you know what I am looking for.

Last edited by coconutmonkey; 08-17-2013 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: So peoplel understood I wasn't the creater of the questionnaire, but was using it to get feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 10:31 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,265,165 times
Steele Creek is a great place to live, work, and play. What ever I have to say about it, I put here: Steele Creek Residents Association or here: Steele Creek Forum.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:55 PM

Thanks NCDave! I am not sure if you directly replied to any of my previous posts, but I have read several posts and have viewed the Steele Creek Residents Association site several times. I think I have even read the Steele Creek Form, but did check out your link again.

I guess I may have more questions after we visit. Hard to know what to ask when I haven't see what I am looking at. Are most hotels on the South or Southwest side safe? Pineville area is where we are thinking of staying as I didn't see any specific hotels in what is zoned as Steele Creek.

Thanks!

Old 08-21-2013, 08:42 AM

533 posts, read 936,670 times
Berewick. It will border the new outlet mall. ZERO commute time for you. Heck you could even take a golf cart to work lol

You can probably find a townhome to rent in there for 1000+-

Berewick New Homes Charlotte NC, Charlotte New Home Community

Old 08-21-2013, 09:04 AM

43 posts, read 96,863 times
I lived in Steele Creek for a few months earlier in the year. Just a suggestion: Know that Charlotte - Douglas International is the 6th busiest airport in the world (that's right--in the WORLD), and much of Steele Creek is directly under the flight path of the 3 main runways. Check a map and try to avoid areas close to those flight paths, especially if you're a light sleeper and/or bothered by airplane noise. I lived off South Tryon near Steele Creek Rd. which is 6 miles as the crow (or jet) flies and it was bad enough out there.

As for hotels, when I was down there apartment hunting I used to stay at the Wingate by Wyndham at Tyvola and I-77. Area was OK, traffic heavy, but I got a discount from my future employer and it was a real nice hotel with clean rooms and a great breakfast.

HTH

Old 08-21-2013, 10:44 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk55 View Post
As for hotels, when I was down there apartment hunting I used to stay at the Wingate by Wyndham at Tyvola and I-77. Area was OK, traffic heavy, but I got a discount from my future employer and it was a real nice hotel with clean rooms and a great breakfast.
HTH
There are also a couple of hotels a bit closer (Hilton Garden Inn and Hilton Homewood Suites) in Ayrsley, which is just inside or outside of Steele Creek depending upon who you ask. You may also want to check out the apartments and homes in that neighborhood as well.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:36 PM

Thanks for all the replies! Yeah, I just recently stumbled on some posts regarding the topic of air traffic and noise and that is definitely something to consider.

How do I find a map of flight paths?

Also, dumb question, but is Berewick and Ayrsley part of Steele Creek? I know Tober138, you said it is just inside or outside depending on who you ask. I have a map of the zoned area of Steele Creek and it is quite a large area.

No one has said much about Pineville. You all seem very familiar with Steele Creek, so would Pineville be a crazy commute to the new outlet mall?

Thanks again for all of the help.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:58 PM

372 posts, read 659,536 times
Actually, I live just south of S.Tryon on Steele Creek road and find noise from air traffic almost non-existent.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:52 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,265,165 times
The Steele Creek community approximates the old Steele Creek Township, which shrinks as Charlotte annexes. It includes both Berewick and Ayrsley. Google Maps shows Steele Creek as a smaller area, but that is based on old neighborhood statistical areas that the city used to use in its data analysis and is nonsense.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte