Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 11:23 AM

107 posts, read 112,163 times

Advertisements

I looked through some of the threads about Concord and it was somewhat helpful but not specific enough to my questions.

Would the downtown area of Concord be a good place to live? Are the older neighborhoods around Cabarrus Ave relatively safe?

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 11:36 AM

328 posts, read 616,087 times
I'm pretty familiar with the downtown Concord area, having worked there and also lived in Concord prior to moving to Charlotte. The first thing to know is that it is a historic district, meaning that for all of the charm, it can also be very quiet. That said, I think that Concord's historic downtown is head and shoulders above most others - there are several restaurants, coffee and sandwich shops, independently owned stores, and a few bars. It isn't a dying downtown; if anything, it has grown in the past several years without sacrificing its historic feel.

The downtown also has a fabulous greenway/bike path (about 4 miles and runs through a couple of parks), a beautiful memorial garden, and a lot of arts and cultural options. The Old Courthouse Theatre and the Cabarrus Arts Council help the area to thrive after daytime - there are constantly performances or gallery shows, festivals and concerts throughout the entire year. Again, as far as small downtowns go, this one has a ton going on.

As far as livability - Union Street has the grand houses that are really beautiful, but a lot of them are either (1) unreasonably expensive or (2) long-held family properties. Gorgeous to walk/drive down, however. Concord is largely a very safe (and suburban) town - the only exception is the neighborhood immediately adjacent to downtown Concord (along Kerr Street). It isn't terrible, but it isn't totally safe. Coming along nicely, though - the city just put in a huge art venue right there.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the information. I will be relocating to the area soon and I don't like the suburbs. I've checked out some apartments and town-homes up and down I-85 from Harris Blvd up through Concord. Some places are new and nice and luxurious I just don't like the congestion and parking lot flavor. I was thinking if I found a place close to downtown Concord I would get a better flavor. Quiet is fine for me, especially for living space. I can find the loud and fun places, that's no problem.

Also, thanks for the heads up on Kerr Street. That is the type of info I am looking for. I'll be sure to avoid that side of town.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:05 PM

328 posts, read 616,087 times
The area between downtown Concord and the CLT line (south of downtown Concord - especially along 85) will likely be very suburban. You can find some older neighborhoods (that are less cookie-cutter) north of downtown, but be careful not to move too far in that direction because you'll wind up a little too remote.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast127 View Post
The area between downtown Concord and the CLT line (south of downtown Concord - especially along 85) will likely be very suburban. You can find some older neighborhoods (that are less cookie-cutter) north of downtown, but be careful not to move too far in that direction because you'll wind up a little too remote.
OK, thanks. I am interested in living right downtown in Concord. Which should be minutes away from 85 but still not in suburban purgatory.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:57 AM

I'm not finding much luck with downtown Concord area. I checked out a couple of rentals and they were subpar.

Does anyone know what a commute from Salisbury to Concord would be like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte