Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 08:42 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times

Advertisements

mod note:

Quote:
Copyrighted Material - Instead of copying-and-pastingarticles, photos, or other material you find on the Internet, you should be posting links to those articles. Posting a snippet from the article and then the link is the appropriate way to post.
Please refrain from posting inserting other people or company work.
A link to the work is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 09:37 AM

1,055 posts, read 2,128,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShlomoLowenstein View Post
If you think that's ugly, you should see 8 Spruce and 56 Leonard, two 900 foot monuments to NY craziness. While our towers in Charlotte might be short and boring, at least they're not crazy!

8 Spruce
Reminds me of Aqua in Chicago.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:44 PM

601 posts, read 964,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShlomoLowenstein View Post
If you think that's ugly, you should see 8 Spruce and 56 Leonard, two 900 foot monuments to NY craziness. While our towers in Charlotte might be short and boring, at least they're not crazy!
I think those buildings look really nice, actually. Perhaps the reason why they look "out of place" is because of the large amount of older, Gothic buildings surrounding them. I actually think if they were in a city like Charlotte, for instance, I think they'll fit in more, especially near the Duke Energy Building. But even then, those buildings still look amazing in New York.

Also, if you want to see a pretty off the wall project being planned in New York, you should check out the Hudson Yards complex:

Hudson Yards Groundbreaking - Business Insider

Old 09-10-2013, 10:08 PM

43 posts, read 118,442 times
Nice and interesting post. I think that Uptown Charlotte is doing things right! The new center city park is beautiful and was great to see parents and kids playing ball, having fun in the fountain and just relaxing. Also, the baseball stadium is going to be yet another awesome addition to Uptown. Moving that from SC to center city needed to happen a long time ago. This will benefit restaurants, bars, hotels and other businesses in Uptown.

I think Charlotte's skyline looks great..especially when you drive in to the city from Independence Expressway. I don't think a 1,000 ft skyscraper is out of the question. Today, these buildings are often not used just as an office building; they are mixed use towers. I could easily see one having office, condos, hotel and some retail shops on the lower floors. Hopefully Mr. Trump will pursue his interests in Charlotte metro.

So from reading this post, there are around 3 smaller towers in the works between 30-40 stories? If so, awesome! I want to see Charlotte's growth continue! No wonder everyone is moving here....Charlotte Rocks!

However, they really need to get more aggressive expanding the light rail to CLT Airport and widen I77 past Lake Norman! Why I77 is not widened yet is beyond me...with or without toll HOV lanes. Coming into a top 20 metro region on a 4 lane highway today is beyond ridiculous!

Old 09-11-2013, 02:49 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesideout View Post
Hopefully Mr. Trump will pursue his interests in Charlotte metro.
Those plans have long been scraped. His interest in Charlotte is at the Trump National Golf Club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesideout View Post
So from reading this post, there are around 3 smaller towers in the works between 30-40 stories? If so, awesome! I want to see Charlotte's growth continue! No wonder everyone is moving here....Charlotte Rocks!
There are two 20-somethings that are going up near the new baseball stadium, a taller one planned for the location the Westin hotel parking deck is currently located.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:10 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
Trump told Channel 9 last month he may still be interested in an uptown Charlotte project. So maybe previous plans will be reconsidered as economy improves.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:09 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Trump told Channel 9 last month he may still be interested in an uptown Charlotte project. So maybe previous plans will be reconsidered as economy improves.
Doubt it. The economy isn't that bad. It would be very nice to have a Trump hotel/resort in Charlotte, but I don't think that's going to happen anymore.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:29 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
I think the best location for a 1,000-footer would be on top of Epicentre. This could happen by 2025.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:25 PM

401 posts, read 657,085 times
The Trumph Towers has a chance of coming back. If not the Trump Towers then i estimate maybe this year or somewhere in 2015, atleast the construction should start. With over a million people in Charlotte (estimated) i think it won't be long. Honestly, for future 1500+ towers i think Raleigh would get that faster. Raleigh has more headquarters.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:57 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
I wish the previously planned First Union/Wachovia tower had been built. It was an impressive design and was rumored to be 100 stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte