Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 08:50 AM

31 posts, read 85,747 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity to move to charlotte if I want so I am trying to determine the correct choice. I am currently in the dfw area (scorched earth and concrete) . What we have going for us is no income tax although higher property taxes offset. I have two elementary school age students. One is an avid baseball player. How are the little league sports opportunities for kids. Schools are generally pretty good here. I do have a child with auditory processing disorder so that is always a concern. We are active in church as well so that is important to us. What neighborhoods so you recommend? I hear going across the line into SC is fairly common with tax advantages. I am looking for 4 bedrooms, 2800 to 3500 sq ft with a budget of around $300k. Also like larger yards - half acre minimum but more is certainly better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 09:16 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,325,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jase1125 View Post
I have an opportunity to move to charlotte if I want so I am trying to determine the correct choice. I am currently in the dfw area (scorched earth and concrete) . What we have going for us is no income tax although higher property taxes offset. I have two elementary school age students. One is an avid baseball player. How are the little league sports opportunities for kids. Schools are generally pretty good here. I do have a child with auditory processing disorder so that is always a concern. We are active in church as well so that is important to us. What neighborhoods so you recommend? I hear going across the line into SC is fairly common with tax advantages. I am looking for 4 bedrooms, 2800 to 3500 sq ft with a budget of around $300k. Also like larger yards - half acre minimum but more is certainly better.
Greater Charlotte's best schools aren't in Mecklenburg county. Fort Mill, SC has a good school system. Would you prefer to live in a suburb? Would a job commute be a determining factor?

Old 09-01-2013, 09:40 AM

140 posts, read 239,600 times
Quote:
I was one of seven children and our house wasn't half that size. It would have been impossible to keep clean if it had been...

Old 09-01-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Greater Charlotte's best schools aren't in Mecklenburg county. Fort Mill, SC has a good school system. Would you prefer to live in a suburb? Would a job commute be a determining factor?

I am open to anywhere. Commute is expected but I can work from home some too.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theory87 View Post
I was one of seven children and our house wasn't half that size. It would have been impossible to keep clean if it had been...
I am in 4000 sq ft now and cleaning isn't a problem. I suspect the cleaning challenge had more to do with 7 kids and less about the home size.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:02 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,741,920 times
Quote:
Is the job in Charlotte or near it? Do you have frequent need of the airport?

Old 09-01-2013, 10:09 AM

Job is at I485 and I77 in Charlotte. Flying about 6-8 times a year so airport probably isn't much of a factor. We are in the hustle and bustle of North dallas (plano specifically). My wife and I were raised in the country so living somewhere that is a little more laid back would be nice. I know it won't be the country, but hopefully an improvement. My budget is a bit flexible considering... My current home is at $420k with property tax around $8K and no income tax. Considering a income tax in nc/sc I figured $280k to $300k would be okay. I am also willing to sacrifice home size for more yard. Just need good schools or I end up paying for private school too.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:23 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,983,836 times
If the job is in south Charlotte, and you want a large lot and a large house with good schools, then Fort Mill (York County SC) is a no brainer. Maybe father west towards York or Clover if you don't need many "suburan" amenities and your kids gets enough socializing at school.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:25 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,325,197 times
Why not just live in South Charlotte?

Old 09-01-2013, 12:30 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,843,683 times
Have you done cost of living comparison between the two cities? When I did a couple of years ago they were roughly the same. Also there is a general income tax calculator on the NC department of revenue site so you can see what tax bill to expect. You also pay annual taxes on your vehicles. (Living in NC)

As for where to live, you will want to stay to the west of Charlotte all up and down the I-77 if you are working near the area 485 crosses the 77. Fort mill, Tega Cay, and others I am sure others posters will chime in on. Those are the ones of the top of my head for being SC and larger yards, good schools. By the way living in SC, you will still have to pay NC income taxes albeit slightly reduced. And it's less but you will also pay SC income tax too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte