Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 03:07 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,551,719 times

Advertisements

Wow...I could not believe reading about this. My Advice: Do What Jesus Would Do !!!

Pastor e-mail: "Only white people" at front door of church - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 03:36 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Imagine the shock and awe from white visitors once they get through the door?

Lol at best foot forward... more like in her mouth

Old 09-04-2013, 05:11 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,584,695 times
unreal. I'm so glad for where I go to church. Black white and everything in between, and yes we have some black people as greeters. Just preach the word, and the rest will take care of itself.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:41 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
I can't think of any explanation for that email that would be acceptable.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:25 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,047,500 times
Ridiculous!

Old 09-04-2013, 07:56 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Ridiculous!
It might seem that way my friend, but even MLK made numerous comments about segregation within the church. He called church "the most segregated hour in Christian America". He even stated that "the church, in its present state, is not the hope of the world. I believe that nothing has so persistently and effectively blocked the way of salvation as the church.” Today, there are efforts to change that image of the church that King was talking about.

As for this Charlotte pastor, I truly believe that her heart was in the right place, but her head was not. Sister-girl kinda looks like an uncle-Tom right now and she will probably never live this one down. White people at the front door = a "good face" for the church? Or maybe she thinks more white folks would donate larger amounts in the collection plate?

Old 09-04-2013, 08:26 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,047,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
It might seem that way my friend, but even MLK made numerous comments about segregation within the church. He called church "the most segregated hour in Christian America". He even stated that "the church, in its present state, is not the hope of the world. I believe that nothing has so persistently and effectively blocked the way of salvation as the church.” Today, there are efforts to change that image of the church that King was talking about.

As for this Charlotte pastor, I truly believe that her heart was in the right place, but her head was not. Sister-girl kinda looks like an uncle-Tom right now and she will probably never live this one down. White people at the front door = a "good face" for the church? Or maybe she thinks more white folks would donate larger amounts in the collection plate?
I think you misunderstood me my friend. Of course the church is the most segregated place in America. What is ridiculous was her SOLUTION to the problem. What would have been better would have been to have a MIX of different races as greeters at the door.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:15 PM

359 posts, read 591,891 times
Hopefully the ACLU steps in to file a lawsuit against this pastor for racial discrimination.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:40 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
Although this email was just plain stupid, shocking and all adjectives that you can think of, it has been reported that the pastor sent out an apology email within 24 hours of sending that one. The church has been trying to refute the perception that it is a discriminatory church...I foresee a LOT of changes and other things happening to make sure that this does not happen again. It is despicable, but, I don't think that this is reflective of the entire church or their beliefs. I know quite a few people that attend there and I know that they are hurting right now due to the actions of not only an errant pastor, but, also, the individual that chose to go to the media rather than discussing the situation with her church elders. Very sad.

BTW: the pastor that wrote this is a black lady.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:11 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
BTW: the pastor that wrote this is a black lady.
It was the joke of the day on Steve Harvey's morning radio show and this show is national.

"Why stop at the door? If she's really serious the church could go out and get a white pastor"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte