Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2007, 09:46 AM

19 posts, read 58,857 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are looking to relocate from NYC. We have 2 boys (4yr and 1yr old). We have been looking at the following subdivisions, Hunter Oaks, Somerset and Weston Glen.

I have read very positive things about the Union schools, but Weston Glen is zoned for a new elementary school "Elon" and there isn't any information on it. Does anyone know if it is a good school and what composition of students make up the student body. Are students brought in from other areas as well or are the students basically from the neighboring subdivisions.

Basically, we are looking to raise our family in a good, desirable neighborhood/subdivision with good schools (basically what everyone wants I guess). Being that we don't live there and not very familiar with the area, its really hard to know if we are making the right decision. We are in the
$300-400K price range.

Any information on the above mentioned subdivisions will be greatly appreciated, we are just trying to make the right decision for our family.

Thank you in advance for anyone who takes the time to help us out with some information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 10:39 AM

755 posts, read 2,492,613 times
I know families in Somerset and Hunter Oaks and they both have nothing by praise for their neighborhoods and their neighbors. You can't go wrong with either one.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:59 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,167,413 times
Elon is a new elementary school -- it is actually housed this year in a "swing school" which will become Flat Branch elementary once the Elon facility is built. The reason you are not finding information on it is because it just opened this year. To find out the composition of the students, I would check Hawk Ridge Elementary, since the majority of the student population (if not all) would be coming from Hawk Ridge.

We lived in that area prior to moving to Hunter Oaks. We were very happy with Hawk Ridge, but moved because we needed more space (a surprise addition to the family ) We looked in south Charlotte, but didn't see what we wanted which is how we ended up in Hunter Oaks.

We have also been very happy with the school here. My youngest two are at Rea View and my oldest is at Marvin Ridge Middle...so far so good

Weston Glen is a nice community -- all of the homes there were built by Pulte. There are not as many treed lots there as you might find in Hunter Oaks or Somerset, and it is in Mecklenburg county, so the taxes are higher at least for the time being.

Best of luck to you

Old 11-16-2007, 12:34 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,767,094 times
Nothing bad about any of them that I have every heard. South Chlt & Union is on the money about Weston Glen not having as many wooded lots.

Out of all my clients that were looking in those neighborhoods everyone of them decided on Hunter Oaks. I still keep in touch with all of them and they are very happy with the choice made. There are also two or three agents in my office that have or do live in Hunter Oaks.

In the past I have spoken to many residents around the neighborhood and everyone seems to be heavily involved in the community.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:11 PM

47 posts, read 139,358 times
All the above are great if uou want to live further out. Here is a close-in one, 20 minutes to Uptown and affordable. Have a look at this community in south Charlotte- Moderator cut: TOS VIOLATION - one of the most family friendly I've seen, close in excellent Elizabeth Lane elementary.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-17-2007 at 08:27 PM..

Old 11-17-2007, 08:15 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,373,429 times
I live in Hunter Oaks as well, there are also alot of City Data people that have recently moved here as well..We are happy here, absolutely love the schools, as I have 1 in Rea View and 1 in Marvin Ridge. DM me if you would like more info for this development..

Old 11-17-2007, 08:29 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,024,837 times
Is it true that the Chartlotte-Mecklenburg schools present mostly issues from Middle to High school? The ratings at greatschools.net kind of support that.

If so, is that getting any better?

Old 11-17-2007, 09:17 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,373,429 times
oh hunter oaks in case the original poster didnt know, is in Union County...our mailing address is Waxhaw even though we are closer to Marvin.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:34 AM

125 posts, read 376,127 times
Ellenitsa-sent you a PM w/in 5 min. of your original post but it is still unread. Just go to your List messages and open up.
All three areas are good but I happen to prefer the Hunter Oaks and Somerset Properties.
Had 2 Open Houses on Weston Glen and is also very nice. Very Convenient to Meck Schools-Ardey Kell just behind Sub. and across from Community House Middle School. Think you will get bigger treed lots in the Union Co. Subd. and they are also minutes to
Blakney-where Weston Glen is located. ALL three are very family oriented. School info: Union County Public Schools (Union Co-Hunter Oaks/Somerset) and Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools for (Mecklenburg-Weston Glen) for more info.
Best of Luck to you and your boys!

Old 12-18-2007, 09:21 AM

52 posts, read 149,838 times
Can anyone advise the tax comparison compared from Hunter Oaks (area) as to Waxaw)(Chimneys of Marvin)?

Thanks !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: