Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 07:46 PM

14 posts, read 145,322 times

Advertisements

This is the first year ever I have had a balance left in my FSA. There are only but so many bandages and other little health related knick-knacks that I really need . I have already attended all of my usual annual health activities (annual physical, dental, vision etc). My vision is great, so no glasses/contacts needed. My teeth are fine, so no dental work needed. And there's not really any other medical services that I can think of that I may want to have done. With 12/31 quickly approaching, what are your suggestions so that I do not end up forfeiting the $500 I have in my account?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 04:21 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,833,507 times
Are there any prescriptions you can prepay for a year? Is this just for you? Anyone in your family wear contacts, etc that you can pay a years supply? I don't know if a gym membership counts but you can pay that up for a year etc. Do you have feet issues? Aching feet after working all day etc? You can buy custom shoe inserts as well.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:42 AM
cpw

85 posts, read 162,113 times
Skin check at the Dermatologist.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:05 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,503,289 times
Massage therapy, if its for a medical reason (you'll need a note of some kind). That's what I'll be doing with my fsa$. ©

Old 11-11-2013, 11:25 AM

416 posts, read 928,656 times
Thank God they are allowing for $500 carry over next year. What a waste to make people estimate their healthcare expenses only to forfeit money if God forbid, they are healthy.

I'd go with trying to get a bunch of massages if you can get an MD to write a note. Should be easy. Just tell your MD you are stressed out (aren't we all?).

Old 11-11-2013, 12:40 PM

999 posts, read 4,655,025 times
Any OTC meds you can get your doc to write a script for (they still allow that, right?), I'm thinking the more expensive stuff like prevacid (that's our biggest OTC cost).

Old 11-11-2013, 12:49 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,981,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
Thank God they are allowing for $500 carry over next year. What a waste to make people estimate their healthcare expenses only to forfeit money if God forbid, they are healthy.
The whole "use it or lose it" aspect made me drop out of the FSA program a few years ago. I usually had money left, and like the OP I ended up with a cabinet full of over the counter meds that I never really needed. Plus I hated how closely managed it had become: FAXing receipts, having paperwork rejected by the plan administrator because items did not have the little "C" on the receipt beside eligible items. The rules are aggravating. You can't use an FSA for sunscreen, or dental floss, or toothpaste, for example.

One year I bought some various children's medicine with the remaining funds, and mailed it off to a cousin who was raising some infants.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:03 PM

416 posts, read 928,656 times
Yeah, I managed to spend my entire FSA amount early this year. The account got to $0 and then they started hammering me for receipts. I've ignored them b/c there is nothing in my account. Hoping they can't do anything about it when next year's funds go in (I hate having to call every provider I've been to in order to requests old receipts).

Old 11-11-2013, 01:18 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,981,799 times
I would assume if you don't turn in the receipts and get cleared, those funds will be added back onto your 1099 as taxable income.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:05 PM

286 posts, read 689,486 times
You most certainly need you receipts. My claims are rejected without a receipt.

Other than big ticket items like eyeglasses and medical co-pays, dental, FSA limits what it can be used for in the drug store. Are any family members listed with you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte