Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2013, 08:50 PM

136 posts, read 390,862 times

Advertisements

Hoping for a little advice. We are recent transplants from NY and are currently living in the University/Mallard Creek area. We love it here so far and feel like this area is great for getting a lot for your money - we are renting now while we get used to the area, but will be buying in about a year. My husband's job is in this area, which is why we chose to start here and I work from home.

There is talk that his office may be moving to Ballantyne in the next year. I am hoping to be working Uptown starting in January. Assuming that this comes to pass, what areas would you recommend we look for homes? Our max budget is 250k, so I'm assuming Ballantyne proper would be out. We'd like to get as much house as we can for the money, at least 3 br (preferably 4)/2+ bath with a fenced yard for the dogs. Would love some input as to what areas you all might recommend that would allow each of us to have no more than a 30 minute commute to work and fit within our budget.

Oh, also, we have no children (and no plans to change that), so school districts won't be as much of a concern for us. We are both in our early 30s and like being outdoors and near shopping, groceries and parks.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 11:58 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,354,244 times
Try Steele Creek , or areas close to it. McDowell Park is out here , and there is shopping , but nothing unique about it (the shopping). There are several subdivisions out here , where you could get a house close to that size , 3 bedrooms/2 baths , but a 4 bedroom/2 bath is unlikely. Also , there are areas along Pineville Matthews Road where you could make it happen , but the nearest outdoorsy area is the McMullen Greenway. There are parks in that area , such as Francis Beatty Park , that are decent , but that is further S/SE near Marvin. Other areas may be off of Shopton Road West , such as Berewick. I think the houses range from £125K to £300K , but I'm not entirely certain. Good Luck!!

Old 10-23-2013, 05:52 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,829,165 times
Steele creek close by McDowell park is quite a drive to ballantyne and easily 20 minutes with no traffic. Forget it with traffic. (Hubby did it for a year and hated it)

I would look up by freedom park area, you get these hidden gems of homes in your range and an easier commute to both ballantyne and uptown. Or Carmel and their greenways. Those I'm familiar with, there are others.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:23 AM

286 posts, read 689,356 times
Fort Mill, SC is close to Ballantyne. Waxhaw, Union County. Matthews, Pineville

Old 10-23-2013, 10:37 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,829,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeLocks View Post
Fort Mill, SC is close to Ballantyne. Waxhaw, Union County. Matthews, Pineville
But not uptown. OP said she might have a position in uptown in January. And while it isn't a bad commute in terms of mileage but traffic will be pretty bad since a lot of them commute from SC to uptown.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:47 PM

136 posts, read 390,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
But not uptown. OP said she might have a position in uptown in January. And while it isn't a bad commute in terms of mileage but traffic will be pretty bad since a lot of them commute from SC to uptown.

Yup, this is my dilemma. It seems like there are some good options close to Ballantyne, but not as many that don't make me have to drive for over an hour each way. We still have some time and things will change, but I will definitely check out some of the areas that have been mentioned.

Any other suggestions welcome!

Old 10-23-2013, 06:08 PM

531 posts, read 1,079,965 times
Try Matthews..there are some houses in that range near mckee road, weddington-matthews road near Socrates academy. Ballantyne is 2 exits away. See if you can find something in Thornhill, right in Ballantyne.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:31 AM

186 posts, read 287,646 times
Try these neighborhoods in the Ballantyne area. All have exactly what you're looking for on that budget and they are within 30 min of Uptown via I-77:

Providence Pointe, Bridlestone, Polo Fields, Amberleigh, Brittany Oaks, Edinburough, Glen Finnan, Carlysle

This is just a short list off the top of my head. There are so many more. People get the impression that you can't live in or near Ballantyne on a budget of $250k, but that's untrue.

You can go to the MLS and look at houses based on neighborhood. Just select these and your budget and you will find some good choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte