Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2011, 07:51 PM

63 posts, read 125,585 times

Advertisements

Where would you find larger pieces of property in and around these areas where there are great schools..(rated 10) according to www.greatschools.com? It seems that most homes in newer subdivisions/great towns are build one on top of the other. I like the idea of living in a neighborhood/subdivision for the young kids, but would like a little "green in between" to offer some privacy. It is difficult to find properties that are at least .5 an acre?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 07:57 PM

810 posts, read 2,295,331 times
What's your price range and definition of "newer"?

You can get .5 acres, full brick, 3 car garage and about 5-7 years old in the Waxhaw/Weddington area for between 350-500K.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:02 AM

8 posts, read 8,871 times
Depending on your price range, Oak Grove Farms in Waxhaw has
homes with several acres.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:32 AM

Question Some Background Information for much appreciate advice you can give

Thanks all!

I think you may need a little bit of where I'm coming from and then I think you all could help me out a lot. I do appreciate any advice. I have only visited on a few occassions and do not know the idiosyncrasies
of the area. For example, how I've read that Waxhaw has a foul "oder"...I would want to see this area in person before I make a final judgement. So what areas should I drive through? Things like that.

Our family is considering a company relocation to the Charlotte/Fort Mill area and at this point I am researching the area for my family, should the company relocate there. Where should we buy a house? I have narrowed down to these towns because of good schools, according to the rating on greatschools.com. Where we live now, our district is known to be a good school system and is rated 8 and many areas surrounding Weddington are showing a rating of 10, which is amazing! Our price range would eventually be somewhere around 350,000. However, it is hard to say as those ranges may change when we are actually ready to buy.

Here's the rub. My husband and I think it would be wise to rent for a while, in order to get a better sense of variuos communities before making a big purchase committment--only to find out that we don't like the subdivision or whatever the case may be. We like to do our homework first. A lot of homework!

I don't want to bounce the family around too much and figure if I can focus an area like the Weddington, Waxhaw, Wesley Chapel to find properties that fall into what would appeal to us--a 4-5 brm on more than 1/2 an acre but under 1.5, then at least I would know that that is the area I would try to find a rental first. Perhaps someone who is unable to sell their home (like a 3brm for now) or a townhouse with 3brms.
I realize my price range may be low, but that is if I were looking today. I don't know what the price ranges will be 1-2 years from know. Maybe Weddington would be too expensive right now.

As I said, I'm a big fan of doing homework and have gotten much valued advice from good samaritans, so the more the merrier to make the best decision. Moving from the North is and adjustment enough, I would imagine.

Last edited by theflight; 11-04-2011 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 11-09-2011, 12:38 PM

123 posts, read 329,116 times
Houston Ridge in Waxhaw has new homes being built by True Homes that are 1 acre and over. The adjoining area, Hazel Ridge, has homes in the 1 acre range. The schools are New Town elementary and Cuthbertson Middle and High School.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:45 PM

285 posts, read 801,545 times
ha ha on the smell. the skunk is back on waxhaw indian trail and newtown road. STINKY,

Old 09-16-2012, 04:14 PM

50 posts, read 132,477 times
Default On the same path

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflight View Post
Where would you find larger pieces of property in and around these areas where there are great schools..(rated 10) according to www.greatschools.com? It seems that most homes in newer subdivisions/great towns are build one on top of the other. I like the idea of living in a neighborhood/subdivision for the young kids, but would like a little "green in between" to offer some privacy. It is difficult to find properties that are at least .5 an acre?!
Hi there...we are on the same path you were on in looking for areas in south Charlotte with a little "green in between." Just wondering where you ended up and if you're happy. We also like to do our homework and will be visiting the end of this month. Schools are very important. The whole process is overwhelming. We are from NJ and the towns around us really don't have all the confusing subdivisions. Any advice?

Old 09-16-2012, 04:24 PM

5,468 posts, read 6,104,388 times
Weddington has a 1 acre minimum zoning on all residential.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:06 PM

441 posts, read 1,490,093 times
Those all all different areas and it would be wise to rent and spend some time here before you commit. The smell in Waxhaw is localized and only really affects a handful of nieghborhoods on occasion. Not that often anymore. One thing to consider, the areas you list have grown quite fast in the past ten years and continue to be quite a popular destination. It will not be much longer and the infrastructure will be overwhelmed. I have lived out here and in the general area you speak of for the last 35 years, and I'm now considering a move to the eastern part of the county. We came here to escape Charlotte and it has come to us. If you like your space and the true feel of the south, I'd look more into Fort Mill, Rock Hill and that area. It's growing too, but I think at a slower pace.
Welcome and good luck.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:44 PM

Thanks for all the replies. The date is getting very close and we have moved forward towards relocation. I did not know that Weddington had a 1 acre min. property ordinance? This forum has been the best tool for getting information and everything we went down to check things out, our findings were consistent with your feedback. I've come to terms with accepting less property so that my kids can have neighborhood children to play with and a amenities. I never did see anything that wasn't over 360,000 that could offer what I was looking for, which did surprise me, being from the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte