Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 5,212 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move in june to nc from nj. We have some friends in waxhaw that love it and claim good school systems.... we r going to rent for 6 months to a year first and then make a home purchase if we like it. I know life will be differnt in a way and no comparison to bergen county nj but cost of living is ridiculous for a 1 income family with two small kids. All im looking for is a safe area with the best school system. My oldest will start kindergarten in sept of 2013. Any insight/advice would be appreciated if anyone has made this move and ur insights on it. My hisband will be commuting from nc to nj 3 days a week he is an aircraft mechanic based out of newark..but being close to an aiport for his commute is not priority. Thank. U. In advance very nervous about making this move but trying to have an open mind..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 08:16 AM

40 posts, read 77,124 times
We are planning a move to Waxhaw from Monmouth county in June as well. We are looking at either PDS or Skyecroft to build. Lots are a premium right now and the market is really taking off down there. Maybe it will slow down in the next year or so. We have been down 6 times in 7 months to look and really like the area. The schools they say are great, but we are sending ours to St. matthews as they are in Catholic here as well. Good luck!

Old 01-27-2013, 01:45 PM

63 posts, read 125,790 times
We are also relocating from NJ, possibly as early as this summer. I have researched a lot of the area for the last four-five years since anticipating this move. Use the "search this forum" tool to guide you in answering some of your questions. I have found this site to be the most informative as well as spot-on accurate, as I have travelled to Charlotte a few times to check things out for myself. GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community is a wonderful tool as well. You will find that you don't need to live in an expensive town like upper Bergen County NJ to have a 10 rating of the schools, as does most schools in Union County. Depending on where in Bergen County you are from, I would imagine you will find Waxhaw/Marving to be much "safer" than some towns that you are used to.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:58 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,345,491 times
All these people moving here from New Jersey! What's wrong with New Jersey? You'd think it was a prison or something!

Old 01-27-2013, 09:08 PM

527 posts, read 922,692 times
Waxhaw is an upcoming area. It's a village now..but will soon become a sought after place.

Good schools.
GreatSchools.org Search: Waxhaw

Low crime... Nowhere near NJ cities.
Waxhaw, NC crimes - Trulia.com

Waxhaw Community Info - crime statistics, demographics, and census data - Trulia.com

Did I say low property taxes?

Old 01-27-2013, 09:09 PM

Best bet for NJ folks who ave kids...ballantyne.. Best schools..feel of suburb life.

Also 15 minutes drive to waxhaw to meet friends.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:20 PM

2,791 posts, read 5,198,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA_NC View Post
Best bet for NJ folks who ave kids...ballantyne.. Best schools..feel of suburb life.

Also 15 minutes drive to waxhaw to meet friends.
Why would you think Ballantyne has better schools?

Old 01-27-2013, 09:38 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,060,915 times
The "area" mentioned across Ballantyne (Ardrey Kell HS to Providence HS), below it in Union County (Marvin Ridge HS to Weddington HS), and down into Waxhaw (Cuthbertson HS) offers comparable suburbia-esque to Northern and Central Jersey. It's loosely bordered by Indian Land / Fort Mill SC to the West, the traditional South Charlotte to the North, and Wesley Chapel / Indian Trail / Matthews to the East - all areas with their own excellent offerings unto themselves - good schools, shopping, etc. Visit and look around, do the research. An airport commute wouldn't be nearly as bad as going to Uptown everyday.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:45 AM

430 posts, read 807,229 times
You will feel right at home here! My DS is in K at New Town, and we are very happy there, but there really are a ton of great elementary schools in the area. So many people are from NJ/NY down here, so you'll feel right at home!

Highly recommend UnionCountyMommies.com for you (or your wife if you're male). It's a great place to ask questions about specific schools in the county, finding pediatricians and things like that, and for making friends down here too.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Why would you think Ballantyne has better schools?

Because we live here.. I have 8 year old who goes to school here. I have done a lot of research, spoken to parents before we bought a house here.

Please it's a documented facts in Cms. Please study the documents.

Also checkout the greatschools site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte