Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 04:22 AM

5 posts, read 8,543 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I have recently been offered an awesome job at the Carolinas Medical Center, and as my current contract is expiring soon, my SO and I are probably going to move to Charlotte
At this point we just need some feedback on what areas to look at, so I will make it simple for you guys with dot points, thanks for helping by the way :

- The medical center there is awesome, and we are sick of moving around, so we will probably stay in Charlotte for the long haul :P
- That said we probably want to buy a house
- The main thing for us in terms of area is low crime/safety (my med school town was horrible)
- I have heard bad things about Lake Norman being full of young-money types who are flashy and loud. We don't want that.
- Our goal is more of an old-money type neighborhood with nice houses and peace and quiet and privacy. We aren't really outgoing, in fact you could say we're rather boring at home

some small things that are bonuses but we aren't to fussed about:
- Nice and green and picturesque neighborhoods are always cool
- Nice gourmet food shops nearby would be good as we cook way more than we go out, but once again this isnt a huge thing
- Close to work is a plus I suppose but I'm not really fussed, I'm used to traffic and longish commutes + my hours are long/irregular so I doubt I'd get caught in rush hour traffic.
- Budget in the ball park of 2-2.3m, can push a tad higher for a really good fit

Thats all I can think of for now, once again thank you all for your help, you have a wonderful city !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 04:49 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,983,353 times
"Lake Norman" is really several different towns and honestly none of them to my mind resemble "young people flashing their money around". The cost of living is higher than Charlotte, because they're perceived as clean, low-crime areas so people will pay more to live there.

When you say "2-2.3m" are you saying buy a house for $2 million, or rent for $2,000 a month ? If it's the former then you can live anywhere you want aside from directly on the lakeshore. And even at that, there are probably some properties available in the northern coves of the lake.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:12 AM

5 posts, read 8,543 times
Oh ok, I just had read that from other threads on this website but doesnt matter, I dont know that much about Charlottes neighborhoods/surrounding areas so sorry

and yeah I meant the former, any ideas of where to start looking?

Old 01-05-2014, 08:43 PM

9 posts, read 17,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorfletch View Post
- Our goal is more of an old-money type neighborhood with nice houses and peace and quiet and privacy. We aren't really outgoing, in fact you could say we're rather boring at home

some small things that are bonuses but we aren't to fussed about:
- Nice and green and picturesque neighborhoods are always cool
- Nice gourmet food shops nearby would be good as we cook way more than we go out, but once again this isnt a huge thing
- Close to work is a plus I suppose but I'm not really fussed, I'm used to traffic and longish commutes + my hours are long/irregular so I doubt I'd get caught in rush hour traffic.
- Budget in the ball park of 2-2.3m, can push a tad higher for a really good fit

Thats all I can think of for now, once again thank you all for your help, you have a wonderful city !
Myers Park, Myers Park, Myers Park. It's next to CMC and is THE old money neighborhood in Charlotte. It's a beautiful neighborhood if expensive, but well within your price range. I live uptown and run through Myers Park often because it's runner friendly. Unless you want a very large lot, I'd stay near the city. Other neighborhoods to look at are Dilworth (a bit younger and more retail), and Elizabeth.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:21 PM

385 posts, read 730,911 times
Myers Park is a rather large area consisting of smaller neighborhoods. If you're looking to live within 10 minutes of CMC (including traffic), I'd consider the following neighborhoods:

Freedom Park
There are some great houses around Freedom Park. Check out Willow Oak Rd and Townes Rd. I know there a couple builders looking to break ground there.

Also check out Sterling Rd and Maryland Ave... which are Freedom Park/ Queens Road West.

Selwyn
Right near Freedom Park... Hillside Road is a cut through to Park Rd and Selwyn Ave, but there are some great side streets.

Myers Park CC
The streets around the club are another great area. Reid's Fine Foods is probably the best butcher shop in Charlotte. Picardy and Normandy Roads area really nice.

Eastover
This neighborhood is about as prestigious as you can get in Charlotte. Gotta have a lot of coin to buy a house there, but many of them will fit your budget.

Good luck!

PS- if/when you decide you want kids, you'll need to get on daycare waiting lists- at least a year in advance.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:54 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,296,715 times
I would add Dilworth and Elizabeth to the list.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:37 AM

2,781 posts, read 5,177,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
"Lake Norman" is really several different towns and honestly none of them to my mind resemble "young people flashing their money around". The cost of living is higher than Charlotte, because they're perceived as clean, low-crime areas so people will pay more to live there.

When you say "2-2.3m" are you saying buy a house for $2 million, or rent for $2,000 a month ? If it's the former then you can live anywhere you want aside from directly on the lakeshore. And even at that, there are probably some properties available in the northern coves of the lake.
The exact quote is "young-money types who are flashy and loud", not "young people flashing their money around"...as in people who were not used to money and now that they have them, they have to show off in an obnoxious (no class) way...There is plenty of those in all areas...

I agree that Myers Park has beautiful houses and you should be able to find something that meets your needs.

Welcome to Charlotte!

Old 01-06-2014, 09:35 AM

186 posts, read 287,853 times
Ditto on Myers Park

Old 01-06-2014, 09:45 AM

328 posts, read 616,938 times
Based on what you've said, I agree that Myers Park is where you'd most likely want to look. However, the prices are very, very high there (which you understand once you see how amazing it is in there). If it is in fact beyond your price range, I'd suggest Elizabeth for sure. It's right next to MP and the hospitals and has really beautiful homes, is very green, and has a great neighborhood feel adjacent to Uptown.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:06 AM

385 posts, read 730,911 times
Elizabeth is a fantastic neighborhood too. It's closer to Presby/Novant. I think most of the homes built there are built in the 1920s-40s. Beautiful homes. Smaller lots than other neighborhoods that I previously mentioned. But I'm splitting hairs here.

But for your budget- the upper end of homes in Elizabeth is probably $1m. If you're looking to spend twice as much, the Queens Road West/Booty Loop area is (IMHO) the best location. Check out some houses around Princeton Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: