Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 05:00 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,272,380 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Charlotte next year from L.A. I'm originally from Michigan but haven't driven on icy roads in over a dozen years. I do remember white knuckling it sometimes! How often do the roads ice over in Charlotte and how is the driving then? Do they salt the roads? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 05:06 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Omg I dont care how good you are at driving in bad weather just stay at home because the other 90 percent of drivers will attempt to hit you lol.

We have a race on who can grab the last gallon of milk and bread in case we are lock in our homes for a very long time usually til the next sight of dawn the next day.

Charlotte uses a salt grime mix.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:06 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
HAHA!

Charlotte, not getting much wintery weather, has very few mechanical devices to clear the roads. The NE laughs at us when it snows, but large NE cities can have a hundred+ vehicles to deal with the weather and clear the roads. I think Charlotte has 14, it is not much.

Just enjoy a day off with your family.
We like our low taxes, so please do not complain.
In the last decade or so they have already doubled and I have not gotten 2x the services (with my taxes spent).

In the whole scheme of things, does it really matter if you miss a day or two of work?
Or would you rather pay for vehicles that might be used 1-2x every other or third year, needing replacement before even slightly worn?

Last edited by mullman; 11-27-2007 at 06:42 PM..

Old 11-27-2007, 06:06 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
I'd say 1-3 instances per winter. They're pretty good about being proactive with salting bridges, etc. Nothing to stress over. And the milk and bread thing drives me absolutely bonkers! As a native, I've never figured that one out with people. It also shows just how i'll-prepared the public is if a significant disaster were to occur. I'm just glad I got my supply of food, water, and ammunition to last a couple of months.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:11 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
water, and ammunition to last a couple of months.
This we have, but we might run out of milk & bread...

Last edited by mullman; 11-27-2007 at 06:43 PM..

Old 11-27-2007, 07:56 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,272,380 times
All your responses sound good to me...always up for an occassional snow day - so much better than slip-sliding away! Thanks!

Old 11-27-2007, 08:10 PM

673 posts, read 2,680,052 times
This may sound like a silly question, but coming from FL, I have never had to deal with this before. My driveway is a long, fairly steep hill. I have been worried about getting down my driveway if it ices up. I don't have a lot of room to park at the bottom of a hill without blocking the road. Is there a special kind of salt to use or just regular table salt? Does putting salt down also help, so that I can walk down my driveway without killing myself?

Old 11-27-2007, 08:22 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
If you have Florida or SoCAl plates you should be granted a week off from work. And forbidden on the streets.
Leave your car in the driveway and do not park it on the street unless you want to see what it looks like blended in the side of the trash truck.
Yes there a special salt you can get at Lowes to use but I would just use it on your sidewalk to check your mail but hey those are mostly bills and can sit in there for 24 hours that is about how long most storms last around here 1 to 2 days then it is mild again. Seriously sit at home watch that 20 percent telivision screen since that is all you will get since the rest will be taken away with a scrolling ticker, weather alerts, and school closing.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:55 PM

32 posts, read 131,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoNC View Post
This may sound like a silly question, but coming from FL, I have never had to deal with this before. My driveway is a long, fairly steep hill. I have been worried about getting down my driveway if it ices up. I don't have a lot of room to park at the bottom of a hill without blocking the road. Is there a special kind of salt to use or just regular table salt? Does putting salt down also help, so that I can walk down my driveway without killing myself?
Or you can just buy some sand. Not sandbox sand, but like beach sand. You can probably find it at one of those places where you can buy stones and gravel and stuff (I'm totally blanking on what those are called!). I live in NH, and we always just sand rather than buy the salt because the salt is expensive.

As for getting down your driveway, that's easy. Just go super slow, and you'll be fine! Especially if you already sanded.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:24 AM

51 posts, read 167,279 times
OMG I love it! We just moved down from Cleveland,OH in June. Where we are from is considered the snow belt and I remember last February trying to clean 2 feet of snow off my car to get to work. I can not wait to see everyone freak out about the snow/ice! I will love every minute of missing work for this. Snow days all over again! Love love love Charlotte =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte