Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 09:33 AM

226 posts, read 693,818 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if police directing church traffic on Sundays is taxpayer or church funded? Also, do the churches contribute anything for parking on public roads? I'm annoyed every Sunday when Providence Road is at a standstill and cars are swerving out of the right lane due to parked cars and I'd feel a little better if they're at least paying to inconvenience me. I also wondered if there's any talk of viable parking alternatives as Providence Road continues to be a main thoroughfare and membership in a few of those churches seems to be growing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 09:36 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatwoodward View Post
Does anyone know if police directing church traffic on Sundays is taxpayer or church funded? Also, do the churches contribute anything for parking on public roads? I'm annoyed every Sunday when Providence Road is at a standstill and cars are swerving out of the right lane due to parked cars and I'd feel a little better if they're at least paying to inconvenience me. I also wondered if there's any talk of viable parking alternatives as Providence Road continues to be a main thoroughfare and membership in a few of those churches seems to be growing.
Is parking on these public roads illegal? If not, then you'll have to get over it. If it is, I would get the cops involved. Do you live on Providence Road or do you just travel on it to run errands and stuff?

Old 03-25-2013, 09:53 AM

595 posts, read 1,623,183 times
Quote:
Does anyone know if police directing church traffic on Sundays is taxpayer or church funded? Also, do the churches contribute anything for parking on public roads?
The church pays no taxes.

Undoubtedly, the people who attend the church pay taxes, so there isn't much room to complain.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:09 AM

415 posts, read 1,150,989 times
I'm about 99% sure that the churches pay for the traffic control, at least they used to some years ago. But, being a heathen for some years now, I don't know for sure.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:11 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,655,655 times
I'm guessing a few hours of inconvenience on a Sunday isn't enough of a problem to have the churches, or anyone else, looking for parking alternatives. I know, living with all these other citizens is tough.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:16 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,521,531 times
Quote:

If you are annoyed every Sunday, then why not re-route yourself or leave earlier or later? I mean heaven forbid you are inconvenienced due to church traffic, how dare they.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:30 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,883 times
You are complaining about traffic during these service times. The traffic patrol officers are directing traffic to get it moving efficiently and not causing a standstill. Therefore, aren't you receiving the benefit? Where should they send the bill?

And isn't public parking on public roads meant for the public (even those exercising their rights to freedom of religion)?

Do you also wonder if the city is paying the churches for using their parking lots during the week for the parking for bus stops, or for the overflow parking that they offer for the neighboring ball fields, or the feeding of the city's homeless, or the backpacks with supplies delivered to their schools, or the AA and NA meetings they hold, or the English classes they teach, or the.... I could go on and on.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:25 AM

78 posts, read 137,509 times
Traffic during rush hour always bothers me, and that happens twice a day, 5 days a week!

Old 03-25-2013, 05:07 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,337,570 times
If I had to guess, I would guess that the church hires police to direct traffic on Sundays, but I could guess wrong, and since I don't have to guess, I won't.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:35 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,654,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
If you are annoyed every Sunday, then why not re-route yourself or leave earlier or later? I mean heaven forbid you are inconvenienced due to church traffic, how dare they.
I feel this way about school traffic.

Maybe there's something we can do about this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte