Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 03:20 AM

645 posts, read 1,068,014 times

Advertisements

I think that in Charlotte (as in most other American cities) the racism that one feels is directed at him largely depends upon the neighborhood he's in. Somebody mentioned San Diego. Last year, my wife and I were trying to return our rental car at the airport. We turned away from the airport, then drove into a neighborhood to turn around. No joke, people poured out of their homes to check out the strangers in the hood. We had to drive very slowly in order not to hit the confrontational mob.

We drove out of that neighborhood onto a busier thoroughfare and pulled over to read the map. Next thing we knew, two guys drove up in a big honkin' SUV and approached us with really threatening demeanors. We got out of there FAST.

In the Charlotte area, I've experienced no racial discrimination. But then, I am part of the white majority and I don't spend much time in all minority neighborhoods, so I don't know what the overall racial climate is like. When i first moved here twenty-five years ago and before I became self-employed, I worked with folks who were still fighting the American Civil war and still harbored antiquated racial attitudes.

With education and opportunity comes enlightenment. I'd like to think that America's efforts to provide education and opportunity for all for the past fifty years has effected positive social change. Racism is a two-way street, and I see only my side of the street, the side that the white majority lives on. I'm sure that those who live on the other side of the street can report a different experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 07:36 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SincereRegal View Post
I have never experienced it in Charlotte per se, but I have heard a number of incidents from friends and associates.
It wouldn't be a city if it didn't have a few "incidents"

unfortunately Charlotte has murder, rape, break-ins, drugs, gangs, etc.... just like every other city but it's not as bad as most cities it's size IMO.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:36 PM

109 posts, read 139,249 times
Thanks for the replies, my friends made it sound like it was tense everywhere..

Old 04-10-2014, 04:03 PM

369 posts, read 374,387 times
I myself have seen quite a few women on dating sites dictate that they do not date black men. Even some black women seem to be on that tip, so I suppose racism against black males in this area is real.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lucas View Post
I myself have seen quite a few women on dating sites dictate that they do not date black men. Even some black women seem to be on that tip, so I suppose racism against black males in this area is real.
As irritating as it may be to you, it isn't necessarily racism at play (even though it carries a lot of the same baggage). Many people want to be with someone with whom they have the most in common. Back east, I know many parents who would have apoplectic fits if their kids married outside their religion. That's not religious intolerance. That's a desire to see their kids remain closer to the family and the local community and to lead a less complicated life. In most cases, the kids want to stay within the community too, or they accede to their parents' wishes.

If I were in the dating game, would I want to date someone from another planet who can't breathe oxygen, consume carbohydrates, and needs to visit home every six months? Certainly not. Their parents might not accept me, and living together would be difficult.

My example is extreme, but the perception is that the races are are so different from each other that compatibility is impossible. It's an assumption based not upon hatred but an assumption based upon practicality.

My parents gave me grief when I began dating non-Italian girls. Were my parents xenophobes? Not by a stretch. Was I anti-Italian? Nope. I dated non-Italian girls but ended up marrying an Italian one who calls me The Wopster.

My advice is for you to find groups of people who celebrate diversity, who are open-minded.

It CAN be done. Keep trying. You may have difficulty because Charlotte is still a provincial city full of provincial out-of-towners from other provincial millieu.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
It wouldn't be a city if it didn't have a few "incidents"

unfortunately Charlotte has murder, rape, break-ins, drugs, gangs, etc.... just like every other city but it's not as bad as most cities it's size IMO.
Why do you associate murder, break-ins, and drugs with a topic on racism?

Old 04-11-2014, 09:26 PM

182 posts, read 554,032 times
Racism is everywhere; you just have to live your life and take it for what it is. I've heard that people in the Carolina's are a lot nicer than what I'm accustomed too. I live in South Florida, sure there is racism here, but I haven't had any "In your face" racism. The biggest issue I find down here is the people who really, really, think they are better, and the extremely rude people here.
I guess it is safe to say that racism = ignorance, and there are ignorant people in every state. I guess I will be able to draw my own conclusion when I move up in a few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crtyrdjester View Post
Hello,
I hear that racism is a big issue in NC..
Is this so?
What is your experiences?
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Depends on your attitude. I haven't encountered any since I moved here. Back in Florida it was an issue for us but not here.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:25 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
The BIG difference in the south is that black and white are much closer together, work toether and in many places live together. Especially in small town. I live 500 yards from a terrible "hood" but never have a problem. People are much less racists than they used to be.

A lot of socio-economic tension is often easily dismissed as racism.

Never forget this quote from a friend of mine from a medium sized NE town "I don't know why you people in the south can't get along. Up here we stay on our side of town, they stay on theirs. We have no problems."

Old 04-13-2014, 03:31 PM

164 posts, read 282,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crtyrdjester View Post
Hello,
I hear that racism is a big issue in NC..
Is this so?
What is your experiences?
Thanks!
Big issue about racism maybe in Dakotas, Alabama, and Idaho. Do not worry in NC...

Old 04-13-2014, 04:19 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Race relations have improved from years past but there is still lots of underlying racial tension in NC. The violence of the late 60's and 70's is mostly long past. Back then there were firebombings of black churches, and whites being the targets of assaults and even murder in retaliation. Even still, a person may encounter some hostility if they were the "wrong" color in particular neighborhoods.

As another poster said, the area is a lot more racially integrated than many other parts of the country and perhaps people from elsewhere who are inexperienced with this type of environment are surprised when they encounter it. In other parts of the country which are heavily diverse, racial tension is still present, it's just that the races of the groups may be different then the usual black/white encountered in the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte