Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 01:16 PM

345 posts, read 871,120 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to buy a vehicle in Miami Florida, which is lot cheaper than the price in Charlotte NC. What I should be aware of before I purchase this vehicle (from a dealer in Miami) and bring it to charlotte for registration in NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 01:23 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,021,085 times
You will have to pay the taxes applicable to NC I believe.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:10 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,853 times
I just did this recently. I bought a car in Kentucky (which has a 6% sales tax) and drove it back to NC (which has a 3% highway use tax). The KY dealer sold it without tax and a temporary cardboard plate. When I got back, I visited the DMV with the title work and paid my NC fees, and they handed me the NC plates.

One little thing I learned, the NCDMV can only take 2 checks to make a title, because they have nowhere to enter a 3rd one on their computers.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:41 PM

30 posts, read 126,584 times
I just did this 3 months ago. I highly recommend to get the vehicle inspected by a mechanic that is not the seller before committing to purchase it. This applies regardless of how new or old the car is or whether it is a CPO.

With regard to bringing it to NC .... you will first have to have the NC state inspection before you title/register it. Then you can go to the DMV with the purchase paperwork (including the previous title). At the DMV you will have to pay the 3% Highway Use Tax, the first year's personal property tax, and another $28 or so for issuing the title. They will give you the new NC plates on the spot.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:35 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,551,896 times
Don't let them collect tax down in FL. Most likely they won't. Being in Miami though, they may not do a lot of out-of-state sales. You'll have to pay a 3% highway use tax based on the purchase price, plus your tag and title fee to get it registered in NC. Unless it's changed, FL shouldn't charge you any sales tax at all.

You may not have to have the inspection though like the previous poster noted. I just purchased a car from Texas, and NC didn't require an inspection. I also purchased a car from NJ in 2010 that didn't require inspection, but a car I bought from FL in 2005 did require NC inspection before I could get plates. I wouldn't get it done unless the DMV tells you to.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:41 AM

Thanks Sean_CLT, gators93 & Hollywood for your response. So I can purchase the vehicle in Miami, FL and make sure they don't charge me any tax, and if FL doesn't charge sales tax, that's much better.

Great, I'm on my way to get the car to NC

Old 04-10-2014, 12:49 PM

821 posts, read 1,854,112 times
Get the VIN number and pay to get a CarFax report on the vehicle. As someone suggests, get a reputable mechanic to go over the vehicle and give you a report. Spending the money for the report and a thorough inspection is money well spent.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:40 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,551,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
Get the VIN number and pay to get a CarFax report on the vehicle. As someone suggests, get a reputable mechanic to go over the vehicle and give you a report. Spending the money for the report and a thorough inspection is money well spent.
Indeed. The car I bought from Florida was a classic car, and I brought a knowledgeable person with me. Also, auto-transport may not be a bad idea, as it'll probably cost you just as much to fly down there and drive it back (plus 2 days of your time more than likely). If you want a recommendation on a transporter, send me a direct message. I had the car from Texas transported in less than 48 hours after it was picked up.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Indeed. The car I bought from Florida was a classic car, and I brought a knowledgeable person with me. Also, auto-transport may not be a bad idea, as it'll probably cost you just as much to fly down there and drive it back (plus 2 days of your time more than likely). If you want a recommendation on a transporter, send me a direct message. I had the car from Texas transported in less than 48 hours after it was picked up.
Thanks for this input, didn't think of how I'll transport it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: