Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 10:45 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
The cultural scene for Blacks in Charlotte is indeed rather unfortunate. I blame it on their generally oppressed attitudes. Almost every educated Black I know who has moved here has commented on it in one way or another. Its an unfortunate attitude but isn't the sum of Blacks in Charlotte, I've met some great people and would rank Charlottes blacks and people in general among the country's friendliest in my experience.
Has this article been posted here?
A look at why the African-American cultural scene struggles to thrive in Charlotte | Cover | Creative Loafing Charlotte
This was an interesting article. It kinda drives home the point that having an established social circle helps when it comes to socializing in Charlotte. And while the comparisons to Atlanta and DC and other cities are understandable, they are also a bit unfair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 04:57 PM

4,588 posts, read 6,417,422 times
I think Charlotte can go overboard comparing itself to DC, NYC, and ATL, but in this case, there is some value in pinpointing why vibrant African American cities thrive in those East Coast cities, but not in CLT.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I think Charlotte can go overboard comparing itself to DC, NYC, and ATL, but in this case, there is some value in pinpointing why vibrant African American cities thrive in those East Coast cities, but not in CLT.
Even a big city like Dallas realizes its shortcomings relative to cities like Atlanta and DC: Why Young Black Professionals Are Wary of Dallas - D Magazine

Old 11-27-2014, 03:08 PM

107 posts, read 220,452 times
Very interesting article from Creative Loafing. I have a few friends who have moved to Charlotte with their company and have echoed the sentiments that the city, while more progressive than Raleigh, is not what some expected. What's perhaps more ironic is that they left DC and would say that area is overrated.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:56 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,781 times
A look at why the African-American cultural scene struggles to thrive in Charlotte | Cover | Creative Loafing Charlotte

This article echoes the sentiments of not only African-Americans in Charlotte.

Old 11-27-2014, 04:08 PM

4,588 posts, read 6,417,422 times
I am only one African American young professional, but I think DC is the best it gets for black professionals. Nowhere else comes close.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:04 PM

107 posts, read 220,452 times
Quote:
I am only one African American young professional, but I think DC is the best it gets for black professionals. Nowhere else comes close.
As expensive as it is in DC, it's not fair to compare Charlotte to DC. Atlanta perhaps, but Charlotte would be better served being compared to smaller growing cities.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Atlanta is comparable, although it's been struggling a bit with its recovery efforts from the recession. But what works against DC is the high COL. I know people in DC definitely making more than me who have to have a roommate. I work for the federal government here in Atlanta and my salary goes a LOT farther than it would in DC, even with the slightly higher COL adjustment.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:40 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Atlanta is comparable, although it's been struggling a bit with its recovery efforts from the recession. But what works against DC is the high COL. I know people in DC definitely making more than me who have to have a roommate. I work for the federal government here in Atlanta and my salary goes a LOT farther than it would in DC, even with the slightly higher COL adjustment.
For me, living out "west" in sizable cities was a pathetic experience for African American culture or extremely different from what I was accustomed to in the South. But why constantly complain, blend and work with what you got.

DC and ATL are major cities and Charlotte is not, but Charlotte has a much larger presence of African American culture than the majority of cities its size. America is only 13% African American and most people don't realize that.

Both Atlanta and DC have their issues and it really boils down to coping and adjustment mechanisms. Some people and personalities have to be catered to and building new social circles is a challenge.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:27 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
That's exactly what I alluded to in an earlier post. Both Atlanta and DC are really 3x the size of Charlotte (and most other southern cities), more historically relevant and spurred by a strong HBCU (historically black college and university) environment and a litany of other historical reasons. Philly, Baltimore and New York are also established large diverse urban cities and have all the expected inherent advantages.

Nashville, Memphis, Birmingham, Orlando, Jacksonville, New Orleans, Richmond, etc etc are all going to fall short when comparing to Atlanta or northeastern corridor cities. Some of the aforementioned might pose as being more diverse or having a bit more culture than Charlotte because they're touristy but in reality that's not the case.

I'm not even going to discuss the struggles of African American culture in mid-size (and larger) cities in the midwest and out west...it simply doesn't exist in most of these places. As I stated in the previous post, America is only 13% African American with a majority of that population concentration in the south.

Again, Charlotte is supposedly the "new" or mini-Atlanta and some erroneously market the city in that manner. It simply isn't but is growing faster than peer cities. Charlotte might not have as strong or established African American centric culture as DC or Atlanta but it does ok and definitely better than most of its peer cities. It has the advantage of being located on the I-85 corridor (or southern megalopolis) and most of these areas will experience a surge in the expansion of African American events, culture and amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte