Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 04:43 PM

20 posts, read 39,685 times

Advertisements

Offer accepted on home, seller ask $106,000 accepted offer at $104,500, home built in 1991, house completely flipped by seller, inspection revealed numerous repairs needed, such as but not limited to:
1. roof needs replacing
2. water stains on ceiling
3. Main electrical panel missing knockout, also panel is located on outside of house
4. Several outlets not GFCI protected
5. Gas furnace does not operate properly
6. Exhaust fan exhausts into attic
7. Furnace vent pipe not properly installed
8. Water heater is located in living room and does not have overflow tray
9. Gutters and down spouts filled with debri

Should seller be required to fix all these repairs?

Thank you for any advice anyone can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 04:51 PM

9,298 posts, read 14,913,687 times
Usually a flip means they fixed it up before selling. You're saying they bought and did nothing?

I'd ask for everything on your list.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:54 PM

That's what i thought too but i believe they focused on cosmetic things making the house look good. I didn't find out all of this until after the inspection.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:59 PM

407 posts, read 852,105 times
Run away from this house.
Even if they fix everything on the list, there will be others. This house sounds like it was never maintained.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:03 PM

Thanks! After this inspection I'm starting to see why the house was on the market for over a year. This is a huge let down.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:26 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams29 View Post
Thanks! After this inspection I'm starting to see why the house was on the market for over a year. This is a huge let down.
I am inclined to agree that they fixed up a "sweetheart house" -- looks good on outside, but the "innards" have problems.

I would ask for everything on the list -- and when they aren't willing to do it, I would walk. The one thing that might keep me from doing that is . . . if the house is SIGNIFICANTLY under market compared to the surrounding homes, i.e., $35K or more. Then, if the seller were willing to do SOME of the repairs, and I had the cash to finish off the rest myself . . . under those circumstances I might consider going ahead with the purchase.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:41 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,150,835 times
I wouldn't recommend going through with the purchase at all.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:50 AM

821 posts, read 1,855,758 times
Run. Do NOT walk away from this house. I'm not an expert by any means, but some of these issues signal code violations AND safety issues. Your real estate agent should have steered you away from this house, period. If you did not have an agent and relied on the seller's agent, get your own agent. If you had an agent, I question their qualifications. They don't have to be inspector certified, but a little common sense would tell an agent this is not a house on which a contract would be signed.

I will stick my neck out and say this house will not pass a code inspection and if the seller wants to push it, call in the building inspector.

Good luck.

Last edited by paulosfm; 05-11-2014 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: Left out a word.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:28 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,199,422 times
If you're buying a house for 100K you can probably expect some issues.

None of your listed "issues" are especially expensive or unusual in my opinion. I'm sure it's intimidating for a first time homeowner, however.

If you like the house and the location, ask for repairs. The seller will likely balk at the entire list though, and that may be ok. I don't know what you'd need to call in another "building inspector" though, lol. Your inspector found the issues already, right? How many inspectors do you want to pay?

1. Probably 3500, ask for it.
2. You should have seen that when you looked at the house? Make sure it's not an ongoing issue (see number 1).
3. missing a "knockout"? Simple fix. Many older homes have exterior boxes, no big deal IMO.
4. usually only have GFCI in kitchen and bath, and not on older homes at all. It's not a requirement unless it's brand new construction. If the outlets are on a GFCI circuit then none of the GFCI should work... confusing description, not a deal killer IMO. Ask for repair.
5. This could be a significant issue, but "not operating properly" could describe a wide variety of problems, from the simple and cheap to the life-threatening and costly. More detail needed, but ask for repair, and know exactly what that repair consists of.
6. Simple fix, a couple hundred at most, ask for it.
7. Could be significant, likely an easy fix. Certainly ask for repair.
8. Minor issue, doesn't hurt to ask.
9. minor issue, akin to "dirty air filter", lol.

Repairs could total from as little as $4K to as much as 10. If you take a price reduction and close the deal, make sure you get quotes for all repairs first!!

Old 05-11-2014, 12:00 PM

372 posts, read 723,924 times
If you have water stains on the ceiling, and the fans vent into the attic, you more than likely have a mold problem going on as well. To what extent only a further look will tell. Proper mold abatement isn't cheap either.

Is it on a slab, crawl space or does it have a basement? Whatever it is, did you have the foundation checked? If the gutters have been clogged for a long period of time, you could have wood rot on the fascia behind the gutters. And if the water is not draining away from the foundation and coming straight down the exterior, it could compromise it.

Right now, from what you've stated, more than likely, you will need:

A new roof

Replace ceiling drywall / mud / tape / paint

New electrical control panel and relocated inside

Plumbing: to re route the water heater. If it's more than 5 years old, toss it and get a newer, more efficient one.

Replace the furnace with a newer, more energy efficient model. I wouldn't even bother repairing it if it's more than 5 years old. And then, have it vented correctly.

Properly vent the exhaust fan

Replace the gutters or repair what's already there

I agree with Native_Son for the most part, but I'm a little bit more pessimistic about the costs involved. In my estimation, without the mold abatement, I think you're looking at around 15-17,000.00

New roof, new electrical panel relocated along with the GFCI outlets, new ceiling drywall complete with new paint, new energy efficient furnace, correctly vented, exhaust fan vented correctly, new water heater, relocated and plumbed, with an overflow tray, and gutters completely replaced with a screen guard.

Unknowns would be the mold up in the attic, and condition of both the fascia behind the gutters and condition of the foundation.

Just curious.

What did the house appraise at?

What are the comps going for (Within the neighborhood, similar quality, construction and design?)

Square footage?

Land area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: