Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 07:14 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,411,633 times

Advertisements

Too bad some folks cant just have common sense and manners.

If a funeral comes through, take 10 seconds to move aside and stop, and let the grieving family pass in peace. Law or not, its a social norm and sign of decency and manners.

Some don't get that though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 07:16 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,411,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Anecdotal, of course. But I would bet that no one else has even heard of someone getting a ticket for stopping to honor a passing funeral procession.
And you never will. Its a social norm, and law enforcement knows this. A common sign of respect others have for a grieving family.

Unfortunately, there are idiots who don't grasp this.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:00 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,239,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
...But in my more than several decades of life in this state . . . .
How many, exactly, is "several"?

Old 05-18-2014, 10:56 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,922,834 times
IMHO (I understand that other people probably won't agree ) I think the funeral procession is something that has outlived its life. No pun intended.

I don't see any reason that people cannot leave the church as they see fit and drive to the cemetary at their own pace.

Alleviating the procession frees up police resources, puts an end to impromptu traffic disruptions, and takes the pressure off of some funeral attendees who seem to have trouble "keeping up with the procession". It also takes away the 50-50 practice of people traveling in the other direction that stop for the procession as well. There's just too many variables these days to maintain this custom.

The funeral director just needs to allow an appropriate time for all of the people to get to the cemetary safely before starting final rites.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:42 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,172,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
IMHO (I understand that other people probably won't agree ) I think the funeral procession is something that has outlived its life. No pun intended.

I don't see any reason that people cannot leave the church as they see fit and drive to the cemetary at their own pace.

Alleviating the procession frees up police resources, puts an end to impromptu traffic disruptions, and takes the pressure off of some funeral attendees who seem to have trouble "keeping up with the procession". It also takes away the 50-50 practice of people traveling in the other direction that stop for the procession as well. There's just too many variables these days to maintain this custom.

The funeral director just needs to allow an appropriate time for all of the people to get to the cemetary safely before starting final rites.
While I obviously think stopping for any and every funeral procession -- especially for people you never knew (why don't we all have a moment of silence out of respect for all people who died somewhere in this world during the past minute -- then we can do it again next minute), I do see value in the procession.

Mostly because there are many people who cannot make it on time to anything and the solemn occasion (for the family) should not be interrupted. Also, there are many with a terrible sense of direction, and those who don't know the city at all because they are from out of town/state. For those people, many who may already be stressed, it is important that a way be made for them.

But still, as an alternative, maybe instead of a hearse, flower car, and other assorted private vehicles, we should allow people to charter multiple buses - draped in funeral "regalia" so that everyone can get there together - driven by professionals with no emotional attachments.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 05-18-2014 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: Correct Spelling

Old 05-18-2014, 03:01 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,382,130 times
I can't help imagining:

Hoagie58 - "I can't wait to get home and post on C-D about this funeral procession and how great it was to see (almost) everyone pull aside for it to pass!"

blktoptrvl - *muttergrumblegrowl as they weave through a line of stopped cars* "WTH do people pull over for funeral processions? What a waste of my time. I can't wait to post about it on C-D when I get home."

Old 05-18-2014, 11:38 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,354,517 times
There was one on S.Tryon a couple of weeks ago , around 9:30 in the morning. Somehow , there was a gap between the last car and deputy , and someone made a right into the gap. The deputy was clearly pissed , as they accelerated to at least 100 to catch them.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:17 AM

343 posts, read 601,397 times
It's all about respect....or a lack thereof. Just stop and let the procession pass. The 5-10 minutes extra is not going to affect your life in anyway.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:41 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,660,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Be my guest... Why would I care if some random Joe Bagodonuts stops or not - especially if I am dead? It is a silly custom .....
Funerals are not for the dead, they are for the living. The "custom" allows a procession of cars, no doubt with many people who are not in the best state of mind or knowledgeable of where to go, to arrive safely at the graveyard and at the right plot. If traffic is bad, the funeral might be delayed for a long time.

Seems like a small price for the public to pay to give some comfort to the bereaved.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:18 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,529,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Funerals are not for the dead, they are for the living. The "custom" allows a procession of cars, no doubt with many people who are not in the best state of mind or knowledgeable of where to go, to arrive safely at the graveyard and at the right plot. If traffic is bad, the funeral might be delayed for a long time.

Seems like a small price for the public to pay to give some comfort to the bereaved.
^ ^ ^ Agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte