Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 03:00 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,729,238 times

Advertisements

When they let him out of the slammer (or maybe club med) he will still have 2 years of parole before his debt to society is paid in full and his rights as a citizen are restore. I'm not sure about NC law if a felon can run for office, but if he can, I can see it happening.

Of course Obama could give him a full pardon towards the end of his career then it will all be for moot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 06:07 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,555,555 times
Patrick Cannon needed to learn from the best fraudsters (who typically hail from NY/NJ). Mike Grimm knows how to handle "people seeking questions":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeJhXaC5WPg

Old 10-15-2014, 06:48 PM

3,871 posts, read 4,291,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Patrick Cannon needed to learn from the best fraudsters (who typically hail from NY/NJ). Mike Grimm knows how to handle "people seeking questions":
And nobody is more forgiving (suckers) than the GOP with their sleeze balls. Beg for forgiveness in a public forum/setting and attend two prayer meeting sessions and all set for re-election. Who knows, maybe the public image beat down and a little time in the hoosegow is transformational. Poor ole Pat C, he looked a bit shell shocked.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:14 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,555,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
If he comes back and tries to become a normal citizen, I think all will be fine. If he comes back to run for political office again, I can't imagine that sitting well with many. Of course the ones who would be most vocal are dying off and in 4 years their numbers will be much lower. Any native knows he would be run out of town for even suggesting running again if it were 10+ years ago. A lot has changed around here since then.

But....he hasn't even reported to prison yet and we're talking about him running again. We're in trouble. lol
It could happen. He'll be in the country club version of prisons so he'll have time to relax and plan his next move. Carolinian's (and I'm include North and South) appear to be an extremely forgiving people...

Mark Sanford, former SC Governor who used state property/funds to carry-on his affair with his Argentinian mistress, disappeared off the job for like a week, blows up his wife/kids/family by leaving them - after all that gets elected to the US Congress (Republican of course).

Don King is right - "Only in America..." gotta love it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/18/op...ring.html?_r=0

Old 10-15-2014, 08:41 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,584,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
It could happen. He'll be in the country club version of prisons so he'll have time to relax and plan his next move. Carolinian's (and I'm include North and South) appear to be an extremely forgiving people...

Mark Sanford, former SC Governor who used state property/funds to carry-on his affair with his Argentinian mistress, disappeared off the job for like a week, blows up his wife/kids/family by leaving them - after all that gets elected to the US Congress (Republican of course).
I think Sanford is a jerk and I was sick when he was re-elected but what he did was not a federal crime. What Patrick Cannon did is comparable to what NC House of Representatives Jim Black (Democrat of course) was sentenced to 5+ years for (public corruption). Thankfully, Black is too old to run for office again.

It is hard to believe that there are so many people with no morals and no concern for their children and family.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:44 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,851,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
And nobody is more forgiving (suckers) than the GOP with their sleeze balls. Beg for forgiveness in a public forum/setting and attend two prayer meeting sessions and all set for re-election. Who knows, maybe the public image beat down and a little time in the hoosegow is transformational. Poor ole Pat C, he looked a bit shell shocked.

There are sleazeballs on both sides. Marion Barry ring a bell? Seems Democrats are pretty forgiving, too. Please don't go tit for tat on this kind of thing. There is one to offset another with no party being better than the other. But, I guess we have to play partisan politics to feel better, eh, Aristotle.

Maybe we, as a whole society, shouldn't be so forgiving of corrupt politicians. I guess that is too much to ask.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:50 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,729,238 times
Quote:
There are sleazeballs on both sides. Marion Barry ring a bell? Seems Democrats are pretty forgiving, too. Please don't go tit for tat on this kind of thing. ....
Indeed. Charles Rangel, one of the worst, just got re-elected to the US Senate in 2010.

In Cannon's case, sounds as if he will have to sit in a club med (no bars) prison for the next 44 months. That is..... when they get around to sentencing him. He then will have to watch his Ps & Qs for another couple of years. (unless Obama pardons him in 24 months) After that, he is free to do as he pleases.

I can see him possibly getting re-elected to the mayorship of Charlotte after that. But beyond that, and given that he lives in Ballantyne, I don't think he could prevail in any other important office, like Mel Watt's old US congress seat, unless he claims an address change and that one would be tough. He would never be elected in District 8 or 9. IMO, his statewide and national political career is over.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:13 AM

1,864 posts, read 1,661,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
And nobody is more forgiving (suckers) than the GOP with their sleeze balls. Beg for forgiveness in a public forum/setting and attend two prayer meeting sessions and all set for re-election...
I think people, in general, are forgiving especially if we can somehow empathize with the nature of the transgression. If you MUST stereotype the behaviors and of both Parties, perhaps their motivation to forgive comes from a different place. They can justify their individual decision based on their personal (and their Party's) system of faith.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
There are sleazeballs on both sides. Marion Barry ring a bell? Seems Democrats are pretty forgiving, too. Please don't go tit for tat on this kind of thing. There is one to offset another with no party being better than the other. But, I guess we have to play partisan politics to feel better, eh, Aristotle.

Maybe we, as a whole society, shouldn't be so forgiving of corrupt politicians. I guess that is too much to ask.
Not really, it's just that the GOP has a holier-than-thou position based on ideology and come across as total hypocrites when exposed. As if going to church every Sunday makes you less prone to be gay, an adulterer, tax cheat or a child abuser. I do think Libs tend to be more grounded and less surprised when their own fall short of moral standards.

And so, yes, you would think a party that sets such a high bar on moral conduct would be more harsh on their own who fall from grace. But it does say to forgive 70x7 in the holy scriptures. Personally, I don't have a problem with a government official who has rehabbed and once again gets re-elected - who am I to cast the first stone.

It's not that Libs/Dems are more forgiving but know the flesh is weak and most of those lofty standards are a façade that only Jesus could measure up to.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
I think people, in general, are forgiving especially if we can somehow empathize with the nature of the transgression. If you MUST stereotype the behaviors and of both Parties, perhaps their motivation to forgive comes from a different place. They can justify their individual decision based on their personal (and their Party's) system of faith.
I agree but the hypocrisy is palpable when purposely exalt to be the gold standard for family values and morality, then fall short. People are forgiving but not totally crazy because habitual offenders like Anthony Weiner are beyond repair, thus cannot hide behind the reformed mantra.

Patrick Cannon will be given another opportunity down the road, but he'll never be mayor of Charlotte again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte