Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 03:11 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,759,280 times

Advertisements

It will also be interesting to see if anyone else gets to join him in the slammer. (if he goes at all) Sounds like there are some pretty big names in city government that are named in the plea deal. I suppose his sentence depends upon how many other fish they can net up in this.

It's a really bad stain on the city of Charlotte's reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 05:37 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,042,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
He'll get between 18 months to 3 years max!
I was thinking the same thing and he will only serve about 6 months to a year.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:10 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,940,623 times
With a plea deal coming this quick there is one of two possibilities.

1. The FBI and US Attorney dotted every I, crossed every T in the investigation where Cannon's lawyers see no way out. Possibly looking at 5 years.

or

2. US Attorney offered one heck of a deal, that he could not pass up. 18m to 3y sounds about right.

Hopefully it's option 1.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:36 AM

416 posts, read 930,272 times
I think #1 is applicable here. Most experts see this as a slam dunk case. Why pay an attorney to defend you and pay crazy amounts of $ when you are going to lose? Better to plead guilty, plead leniency, and do the time.

I'd guess 3-5 years.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:32 PM

372 posts, read 725,989 times
So, after his first appearance, since being charged, in front of cameras today and making an apology, a Cannon supporter, Mr. Cox goes in front of the media claiming "It was entrapment, plain and simple."

Really Mr. Cox?

Want to know what Judges despise more so than criminals? Finding out evidence was tainted or suppressed, along with someone's rights being violated. Any one of which would have been enough, to have gotten all charges dropped and the case thrown out.

Fact is, if there had been any indication or evidence of entrapment Mr. Cox, Mr. Cannon's defense team would have pounced on that very fact, like a duck on a June bug.

And now, even before he's sentenced, there are those already talking about him making a comeback. Hey, I'm a lot like everyone else out there and like nothing better than watching the underdog come back from a shut out and winning the game. And I'm all for second chances.......

However, with that said, IMO, it's a little early in this case, before the man is even sentenced, to be talking about either one, come back or second chances.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:04 PM

15,361 posts, read 12,696,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
IMHO if he doesn't do the full 20 he got off too easy.
LOL... 20 years?

Old 06-03-2014, 08:49 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,592,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuvakind View Post
And now, even before he's sentenced, there are those already talking about him making a comeback. Hey, I'm a lot like everyone else out there and like nothing better than watching the underdog come back from a shut out and winning the game. And I'm all for second chances.......

However, with that said, IMO, it's a little early in this case, before the man is even sentenced, to be talking about either one, come back or second chances.
I doubt he will be making a comeback. I am sure his plea deal requires him to snitch on everyone that paid him bribes and asked for favors. I have heard thru the pipeline that 20+ indictments are still to come. He is going to have to watch his back for a long time.

I hope that after a 4+ year investigation (can you imagine the taxpayer cost involved) a judge would not let Cannon off with less than 5 years in prison. He is also going to have to pay restitution.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:13 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuvakind View Post

Fact is, if there had been any indication or evidence of entrapment Mr. Cox, Mr. Cannon's defense team would have pounced on that very fact, like a duck on a June bug. ....
Yeah. Cannon openly admitted in court that he took money from the owner of the infamous strip club, The Twin Peaks, in return for zoning changes that allowed the club to remain open. That clearly isn't entrapment.

Have to wonder about Cannon's business relationships if, apparently, a strip club owner has this kind of access to the Charlotte mayor's office.

(Will be interesting to see if anyone else in the city government will go down for this. The Mayor doesn't have direct authority to make a zoning change.)

Old 06-04-2014, 09:05 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,875,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
LOL... 20 years?
Why is that funny? If he actually committed more offenses than what he plead to he deserved sentencing for those too. Doesn't make a damn bit of sense to have sentencing guidelines if we don't have a judge with the stones to use them.

Aside from that, I consider a breach of the public's trust to be particularly egregious. These are the folks who make the laws that the rest of us are supposed to follow. Sure, I can feel sympathy for his kids, etc etc, but certainly their takeaway will be not to be a scumbag politician.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:07 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,875,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Yeah. Cannon openly admitted in court that he took money from the owner of the infamous strip club, The Twin Peaks, in return for zoning changes that allowed the club to remain open. That clearly isn't entrapment.

Have to wonder about Cannon's business relationships if, apparently, a strip club owner has this kind of access to the Charlotte mayor's office.

(Will be interesting to see if anyone else in the city government will go down for this. The Mayor doesn't have direct authority to make a zoning change.)
Oddly, I couldnt get the clowns at the zoning department to issue a variance to replace a sign that had been destroyed. Yet they'll bend over backwards for the mayor. Hope they clean house there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte