Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,476 times

Advertisements

My newly college graduated daughter is moving to Charlotte to teach at Ranson Middle School. She wants to live very near downtown. She has a limited budget ($500-650) and no roommate (she is searching Craig's list for "roommates needed" however). She also wants to np e close to her school (NOT the suburbs). Where do we look? All the apartments that she can afford have scary reviews online! We need to find a place ASAP as she is moving beginning if August. Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 08:34 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,798 times
Crickets - says it all. I'll bring the hard truth.

$650 isn't going to get her in a decent place near downtown. Where do "we" look should become where does "she" look. She's grown now and about to get a lesson in compromising. She should probably put the suburbs back on the table.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:51 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,915 times
She needs to find a nice house with an MIL quarters/suite for let.

There are lots of them, in nice areas of town and often for quite a bargain. It takes a lot of beating the street though.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:56 PM

2,778 posts, read 5,166,000 times
School does not have the best reviews, as a young teacher I would think twice before accepting a job there.

http://www.greatschools.org/north-ca...Ranson-Middle/

Also, she should definitely stay away from bad areas and unfortunately for her budget, unless she picks suburbs or finds a good roommate, she will run into problems.

Good luck to her!

Old 07-09-2014, 12:38 AM

958 posts, read 1,725,228 times
You don't want to move to Charlotte to teach that's for sure. CMS does NOT pay their teachers!

Old 07-09-2014, 05:22 AM

5 posts, read 7,889 times
Ranson Middle School is not in a good area (though if she want to take the challenge of teaching there, she should go for it, understanding that the school has a high poverty rate). She should look on Craigslist for roommates - perhaps one of the complexes around Northlake Mall, or in one of the nicer city neighborhoods - Elizabeth, Plaza Midwood, Commonwealth.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:46 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
I recommend she become familiar with pepper foam/spray should she decide to work/live in the Ransom middle school area.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:22 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,640 times
Posters are not being helpful at all here. Plenty of people work and live in low income minority areas and nothing happens to them. My daughter goes to a magnet school along Beatties Ford Road - nothing has ever happened to the students there. Will teaching at Ranson be challenging - yes no doubt, but not dangerous. It's about 75% black, 14% hispanic and 3% white (in 2010). There are many motivated students in every school - it's not all troublemakers. Really the most important thing is the Principal. Is anybody here even aware that Ranson has a magnet IB program and that some people actually choose to go there?

Old 07-09-2014, 08:01 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
I would be a million times more concerned about entering teaching field, and a billion times more concerned about doing so in CMS.

When I lived in Charlotte our church adopted Ransom. I went down there a couple of times. Tough situation.

Your daughter needs to get real and find a safe place in the "burbs" to live.

The good news is that this will last no more than 2-3 years. She will sensibly bail on teaching, and will get on with her life.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:06 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
Really the most important thing is the Principal. Is anybody here even aware that Ranson has a magnet IB program and that some people actually choose to go there?
Actually, the most important is the parents. Way more important than any administrator.

The harsh reality is that a high poverty school is high poverty for a reason. Parents. Either lack of education or lack of motivation. Neither of which bode well for the student.

And that's a fact, Jack!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: