Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 02:29 PM

4 posts, read 28,325 times

Advertisements

just saw this

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/20...post_recor.php

Maybe good news for those of us moving in the near future to Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 04:20 PM

89 posts, read 312,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecanHillsPurchaser View Post
just saw this

This will change in the next month.. we will see a large downward spiral. Why? Look at how many homes are on the market.. its a buyers DREAM market.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:19 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,747,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecanHillsPurchaser View Post
just saw this

Tell this to all the builders trying to unload inventory and people trying to sell existing homes...

Median prices DO NOT mean existing home values are appreciating.

Any competent, truthful realtor will tell you that existing inventory, # of units sold & days on the market YOY are a true indicator of how a market is doing.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Tell this to all the builders trying to unload inventory and people trying to sell existing homes...

Median prices DO NOT mean existing home values are appreciating.

Any competent, truthful realtor will tell you that existing inventory, # of units sold & days on the market YOY are a true indicator of how a market is doing.

This was all over the news today.. Charlotte is probably doing much much better than other cities.. but being a home BUYER right now I can tell you from first hand experience there are many many homes out there.. Agents know this but they are trying to keep it quiet.. for now.. but in a few months the numbers will be out.. Seattle was also on the list.. I forget the 3rd.. but there are only 3 cities who are supposedly not depreciating..

So while this is good news for Charlotte don't be fooled.. stats are usually 1-2 months old at least.. My agent brought up a good point.. Charlotte is affected by newcomers wanting to move to Charlotte but they can't because they can't sell their own property...

Lastly, the reason given for Charlotte holding its value is that it didnt go thru an inflated appreciation cycle like most cities did. Makes sense really.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:33 PM

92 posts, read 318,223 times
Quit being so negative folks...Charlotte is appreciating because people are moving here like gnats to a cows as*. I don't see it slowing or falling in value at all.. barchetta, I'll bet you a coke it keeps appreciating or holds steady beyond the year mark...are you a gambler...huh...are ya??? yum, yum, an icy cold coke is on the line....

Old 12-27-2007, 05:48 AM

396 posts, read 1,436,040 times
I think it's great news. I'll take it!!

Old 12-27-2007, 06:00 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,747,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn2shoes View Post
Quit being so negative folks...Charlotte is appreciating because people are moving here like gnats to a cows as*. I don't see it slowing or falling in value at all.. barchetta, I'll bet you a coke it keeps appreciating or holds steady beyond the year mark...are you a gambler...huh...are ya??? yum, yum, an icy cold coke is on the line....
Having a discussion about the recent article and since you don't agree, you say "stop being so negative"....

thanks for adding value to the conversation.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:12 AM

Is this a Coke like as in Soda? Pop? I am from the North so we use Coke as a brand name.. I'd have to know if its wide open or the actual Coke product..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn2shoes View Post

Old 12-27-2007, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3johnsons View Post
I think it's great news. I'll take it!!
It IS great news for Charlotte.. sort of... the question is: Why didn't charlotte have a huge appreciation cycle like almost every other city? Hmmmm VERY VERY interesting question that I would LOVE to know the answer too! Anybody??

And please.. don't try and sell me on "Charlotte people are too smart for that sort of thing".. LOL.. Seriously.. what happened? I mean during that period (this happened over the last 10 yrs)... what were people talking about? Were they wondering why properties werent appreciating like other cities?

Old 12-27-2007, 06:33 AM

63 posts, read 181,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barchetta View Post
It IS great news for Charlotte.. sort of... the question is: Why didn't charlotte have a huge appreciation cycle like almost every other city? Hmmmm VERY VERY interesting question that I would LOVE to know the answer too! Anybody??

And please.. don't try and sell me on "Charlotte people are too smart for that sort of thing".. LOL.. Seriously.. what happened? I mean during that period (this happened over the last 10 yrs)... what were people talking about? Were they wondering why properties werent appreciating like other cities?
Just a guess, but the factor which drives up prices is scarcity. If development kept pace with demand, then there would be just enough homes at any given moment, keeping home prices from spiraling up.

Likewise, if there aren't the cadre of investors and flippers (who really lay waste to the stability of a home market), the Charlotte would have been spared that inflationary pressure. Remember, home sales to those who flip in a few months drive up home values artificially; the communities hardest hit in deflation are most often rife with those flippers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte