Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 03:21 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Do you care to elaborate on your statement about trickery? There is none there that I see. I've been in the property management business for over 14 years and nothing about this situation says trickery.

You are responsible for paying rent on a leased property until you are evicted or turn in the keys. And being evicted doesn't always remove the responsibility to pay rent. This kind of thing has been hashed out in court many, many times and it never goes the tenant's way. It's a simple matter of who is in possession of the property. If, as the OP says, he moved out 5 days into October, he is responsible for 5 days of rent. Period. If there was an issue with it, the OP should have addressed it before signing the lease. The dates of the lease are one of the easiest things to spot on a lease other than the names of the parties involved.
If you're calling something a 12-month lease, when it is fact more than 12 months. Well, that's trickery. Legal, sure, as long as it's documented. But not exactly upfront. People with power - i.e. the property management company - often use these small tricks on those without power (tenants) to their advantage. Banking on the fact that the tenant won't balk or try to gain back their money. Imagine how much they clear on those 5-day rent increments net the property managers. It's a skimming game, pretty much.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that "legal" or "standard industry practice" means "ethical."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 03:22 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Reenzz is correct here. The lease ended Oct 5, not Sep 5. Not any other date. Even if the OP gave a 30-day notice, the management company would have no obligation to release him from the lease. They could have charged the OP for the rent and possibly the cost to rerent. If the OP refused to pay, the company could have filed for eviction, been granted a judgment and the OP's credit would take a hit.
Wait, how could they possibly charge him for the cost to re-rent if he did not break lease?

Old 10-16-2014, 09:30 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,126,398 times
Wow. I thought my thread died a few days ago.

I am glad some of you here see the trickery involved with this lease. Did I mention the lease is written as a 12 month lease? They wrote the number "12" in the blank space. Yet, they wrote an ending date which included 5 extra days than 12 months. I knew that, but just figured those would be included in the 12 months. I mean, rent was due on the 1st, but they gave you until the 5th, so I was looking at it that way. Unethical. Yes. Illegal, well I'm not sure yet.

I moved out Sept 5 and turned my keys in on Sept 30. Wasn't there at all in Oct. I do plan on going back to the apt manager for a second attempt at reconciling this.

BTW, the Connor Group is who owns these apartments. They are widely known as being a sleazy operation. Many lawsuits in other states have been filed against them. I'm just another blip on their long list of complaints.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:30 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,834,779 times
How was it "trickery"? It is the tenants job to read the lease before he/she signs the lease. Tenant failed to do his due diligence in knowing what he signed. Any issue with the end date should of be negotiated prior to signing, NOT after the lease has ended.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:44 AM

It's trickery because it is not normal to end a lease date on anything other than the last day of the month. The renter doesn't always realize this and doesn't question it because they do not expect the leasor to use this tactic of adding 5 additional days. It's trickery because most people who move are usually out by the end of any given month anyway, not the 5th. Some of you all mighty people think you are beyond getting tricked by this scheme. I read my lease. I didn't question the end date for the reasons stated above.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:31 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
Trickery or not, the lease is what it is. No grounds for a lawsuit. If you want to pursue one, feel free. Just don't go into it with any grand expectations.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:34 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Wait, how could they possibly charge him for the cost to re-rent if he did not break lease?
Cost to rerent is costs of the turn and lost rental revenue. It has happened but usually not for such a small amount of time. There are numerous instances of this happening.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:49 AM

306 posts, read 517,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
Yet, they wrote an ending date which included 5 extra days than 12 months. I knew that, but just figured those would be included in the 12 months.
You would lose in court and spend more than what you owe.

Just pay it and move on.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:26 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
It's trickery because it is not normal to end a lease date on anything other than the last day of the month. The renter doesn't always realize this and doesn't question it because they do not expect the leasor to use this tactic of adding 5 additional days. It's trickery because most people who move are usually out by the end of any given month anyway, not the 5th. Some of you all mighty people think you are beyond getting tricked by this scheme. I read my lease. I didn't question the end date for the reasons stated above.
Did you take possession of the apartment on May 1st or May 5th? Most leases I had were from the exact date to exact date spanning 12 months. So if your lease was May 5th - Oct 5th, that's normal.

But if your lease was dated May 1st through Oct 5th. i would definitely go to the apartment manager and point that out. That's trickery/error.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Did you take possession of the apartment on May 1st or May 5th? Most leases I had were from the exact date to exact date spanning 12 months. So if your lease was May 5th - Oct 5th, that's normal.

But if your lease was dated May 1st through Oct 5th. i would definitely go to the apartment manager and point that out. That's trickery/error.
The lease started on the 1st. This was my 4th lease with them. Each lease prior to this one started on the 1st and ended on the 30th. The final lease though, oddly ended on the 5th. So yes, they are attempting to get 5 extra days from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: