Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 06:49 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,502,491 times

Advertisements

Just a little vent here.

We can't get HiDef TV here through Directv or Dish......too many tall trees!

I guess I shouldn't complain, I do love our area, very private, horse country, etc..., but we got a HiDef TV and can't use it!

I am really not interested in timewarner as the cost is much higher and from our limited experience with them, the quality is lower.

Darn.

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 07:28 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,747,807 times
Hmmm, just curious on this because I found the opposite to be true.

How many receivers are you looking to have? What type of package are you looking into? When you say "quality is lower", what do you mean?

Old 12-31-2007, 08:22 AM

367 posts, read 1,030,317 times
That is too bad. Cable quality is lower. I had digital cable for like a week after getting our large screen HDTV. We switched to satellite really quick and it is much better. Digital cable is a joke. It may be ok if you have a smaller screen, but for larger screens it is pathetic

Old 12-31-2007, 08:42 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,956,744 times
Did you ever try dish?

Old 12-31-2007, 10:54 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,282,632 times
Boy, I'd take big trees over any kind of high definition, big screen, flat screen, plasma tv, blue tooth, black berry, ipod, computer, notebook, laptop, big top...you get the picture - well, maybe you can't! Yeah, its got to be frustrating after purchasing the thing! Where we live I get frustrated trying to listen to the radio in the car as the signal keeps going in and out with every turn because of the darn mountains! But, beautiful, big trees - we were out last month and I was drowning in the cascade of fall colors - I'd sacrifice a lot for those. They are one of the things I really can't wait to enjoy once we make the move next year! Good Luck!

e

Old 12-31-2007, 11:30 AM

755 posts, read 2,495,741 times
Have you tried an antenna? We had an HDTV before Dish or Cable offered local HD channels and we got them off of HD rabbit ears, and then later from an HD antenna. Try Radio Shack for more information.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:01 PM

We have a huge antenna on our roof and can't get any channels with it so I doubt HD would change that. We just don't get TV out here.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
Have you tried an antenna? We had an HDTV before Dish or Cable offered local HD channels and we got them off of HD rabbit ears, and then later from an HD antenna. Try Radio Shack for more information.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:04 PM

We want what we have currently. We have 4 DVR's and the $47 package with Directv. I pay $75 or so per month for all of that.

Cable wants $18 PER DVR!!!!! The first one is *only* $10, so that is almost $70 per month just for the DVRs, not including the actual programming!

All channels were not digital and there were a lot of fuzzy channels. Directv is all digital, but that doesn't even matter because to get the same thing in Cable would be around $130 vs the $75 we currently pay.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Hmmm, just curious on this because I found the opposite to be true.

How many receivers are you looking to have? What type of package are you looking into? When you say "quality is lower", what do you mean?

Old 12-31-2007, 07:18 PM

YES! They came out this morning and told me that they cannot get signal at all through our trees.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
Did you ever try dish?

Old 12-31-2007, 07:19 PM

Well, you are abolutely right and we have acres and trees and privacy and it is all very wonderful. I wouldn't trade it for houses on top of each other and High Def TV!

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Boy, I'd take big trees over any kind of high definition, big screen, flat screen, plasma tv, blue tooth, black berry, ipod, computer, notebook, laptop, big top...you get the picture - well, maybe you can't! Yeah, its got to be frustrating after purchasing the thing! Where we live I get frustrated trying to listen to the radio in the car as the signal keeps going in and out with every turn because of the darn mountains! But, beautiful, big trees - we were out last month and I was drowning in the cascade of fall colors - I'd sacrifice a lot for those. They are one of the things I really can't wait to enjoy once we make the move next year! Good Luck!

e
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte