Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 07:00 PM

444 posts, read 582,439 times

Advertisements

What do you all think of the beer made locally here in Charlotte? We just went to Ass Clown last weekend it was interesting enough that I'd consider going back. I've tried the other places and didn't find the West Coast Style of IPA I like. I am a fan of Wicked Weed in Asheville and Brevard Brewing Company. I think it was a great idea to have a local beer garden at Panthers Stadium...NODA will do while out and about at the stadium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 07:11 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
LOVE the pumpkin ale from NoDa Brewery

Old 10-29-2014, 08:14 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,599,615 times
Noda, Birdsong, OMB ( some of the beer), and four friends all have beers that I enjoy. OMB's Dunkle is pretty solid, one of the few I truly enjoy from them. Never had Heist, Tripple C, Lenny Boy, Unknown, Ass Clown, or D9. I think there is also a Mooresville company called Lake Norman. There are a ton of them here now.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:50 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,809,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
Noda, Birdsong, OMB ( some of the beer), and four friends all have beers that I enjoy. OMB's Dunkle is pretty solid, one of the few I truly enjoy from them. Never had Heist, Tripple C, Lenny Boy, Unknown, Ass Clown, or D9. I think there is also a Mooresville company called Lake Norman. There are a ton of them here now.
Sugar Creek Brewing is now open and Sycamore Brewing opens Nov 1st in Southend.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:52 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,599,615 times
seems like breweries and vape shows are popping up every week now.

wooden robot is opening soon too i think in March or April

Old 10-30-2014, 05:05 AM

218 posts, read 523,363 times
NODA's Hop Drop and Roll is very nice, the rest of their beers are just so-so. I like OMB's dunkle and the copper is a good go to.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:32 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,294,597 times
I like the OMB wheat beer and the Copper - though Copper has a sweet side that sometimes bothers me. Their Pilsner is nothing special at all - like water.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:44 AM

189 posts, read 333,994 times
Love the breweries that have come up in recent years. OMB is the "oldest" at 5yrs old.

But NoDa - as mentioned HD&R won first prize at an international beer tasting event in the IPA category. Pretty high praise for a young brewery. Also love the Gordgeous pumpkin ale.

Triple C - another good one and 3C IPA is one you should try. They also have a smoked amber that you can get a nitro pour versus CO2 from the tap. The nitro gives it a Guinness consistency. They also do some small batches at the brewery including several stronger IPA's. Check that out!

Unknown - Over the Edge USPA is their IPA. Another good go to. They also have many small batches, like a 10% ABV Cinnamon Raisin bread inspired beer this past February. Or a day of all bacon beers and on Nov 8 they will have a beer that was brewed with 99 food grade scorpions. Their name says it all, never know what they'll do next.

I have had Birdsong and enjoyed it but don't know enough for a little blurb. Excited for Sycamore to open and to visit Sugar Creek. I met the Wooden Robot guys at Craft Tasting Room last week and they were real friendly and excited to jump into the local scene. Legion Brewing is another that is opening in the old Brodt Music Building in Plaza Midwood but they've just started construction so it's a little further out.

Love all the growth in recent years, this is some of the character/identity that Charlotte needs to show were more than a white collar town.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:51 AM

343 posts, read 601,285 times
I am a big fan of NODA, Triple C, and OMB. The others have a few beers I enjoy, but these 3 are consistently my favorite in town.

NoDa's Hop Drop 'n' Roll just recently won the Gold Medal at the World Beer Cup for American Style IPA. I also enjoy Coco Loco, Jam Session, Ghost Hop, and Gordgeous. I haven't had any of the winter beers yet.

Triple C I enjoy the 3C IPA, the Babymaker Double IPA

OMB I really like the Copper and Mecktoberfest

I had the Unknown IPA last weekend for the first time and I enjoyed it also, so I will definitely try more of their offerings.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:18 AM

777 posts, read 2,569,218 times
Charlotte breweries are making some great beers but you need to actually get the breweries to really get a taste of what they all offer. What you are getting at a stadium or restuarant is only a small sample of what they offer (and usually not the best of what they offer).

If you like West Coast IPA's and don't think Noda Hop Drop and Roll is the bomb...then you don't like West Coast IPA's.

But no, Charlotte doesn't have anywhere yet to compete with Wicked Weed, at least not under one roof. What we do have is a great variety of breweries making a great variety of beer.

If you like Barrel Aged Imperial Stouts...get yourself to Noda on Saturday morning for the release of Monstro. It is the most highly anticipated beer release in Charlotte's short brewing time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte