Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 02:53 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times

Advertisements

Moderator Note:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 03:21 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Brian, you know my main complaint about the Charlotte media is that the wide area it covers every day (9 counties) gives a false impression to newcomers that many terrible things are happening all around them, when in reality they are not. This affects peoples sense of security and they become convinced "Charlotte" is not safe.

I do wish something else would lead instead of all those things that bleed - not that we shouldn't hear about random murders and crimes we need to know about to better safeguard ourselves, but there are so many other worthy stories that never get told because of all the bad news that does. I would love to hear more stories on educational issues and successes in teaching, medical breakthroughs, philanthropic deeds, how to live more green, etc... The only reason the bleeding has to lead is because the media and other types of businesses have a vested interest in keeping us living in fear - something I personally refuse to do. I hope that addresses your question or counters your point?
It's not that anyone's living in fear from what the media says (there are way too many distractions these days for that to happen), a murder or a violent crime needs to take precedence over a philanthropic deed. If you watch the news on, say, WSOC or WCNC, oftentimes you'll see a story on someone or a company going green. There have been numerous stories on educational issues such as overcrowded schools. Those stories most certainly exist, however they don't exist within the most important time frame of a broadcast, generally the top and bottom of the hour.

Let's say there was a killing in your neighborhood. Would you want to wait through a batch of human interest stories not knowing when your story was coming up next? Or would you rather know that it was going to be one of the top stories because it just might affect you?

It's not the fault of charlotte.com, the Charlotte Observer, or any of the local TV or radio stations that these types of crimes are being committed, they're just reporting them. That's why I don't understand the generic slam on those outlets.

If the news was really putting fear into people, you'd see more people running scared then moving in. As it is, they're playing more into people's morbid voyeuristic instincts rather than scaring them....kind of like why the Weather Channel's viewership skyrockets when a hurricane is about to slam into the coast.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:30 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
What happened? What'd we do? It says "crime" in the thread topic.
The original thread was more about safe areas and good schools I believe Brian

To answer your question - OF COURSE I want to know about the crime happening in areas near me or where I frequent, and local media should report on these things as a public service. I'm just saying there is a false impression given to many newcomers of crime in Charlotte itself because of how wide an area the media covers (again, 9 counties!). When you are new here you don't necessarily understand that Statesville, Morganton, or Kings Mountain aren't all part of Charlotte - so when murders or other crimes get reported from there it leads to them drawing the false conclusion that all of CHARLOTTE is very crime-ridden or dangerous.

So to get back to the original post, which was commenting on the fact that MANY areas of Charlotte are safe and do have good schools - I 100% agree with that. I also agree with the op that if you are unhappy in the area of Charlotte you originally landed in, MOVE. Don't just sit there being miserable when there are better places to go.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:48 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
The sad thing is due to the media, most people in NC have a bad and negative image of Charlotte. I am not from Raleigh, but moved to Charlotte 15 years ago from Raleigh. When I go and visit friends, all they say is about how many murders, car jackings and other crime they hear about in Charlotte.

I try to tell them that Charlotte is a wonderful city. I live Uptown and run the streets at all hours of the night sometimes and have never felt unsafe. Am I scared of the homeless man who may ask for change. NO! He is also one of God's children and is NO less of a person than me.

But we can thank the media for all the negative publicity. Wouldn't it be great to hear more positive events in the news. Bet the ratings would go down though.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:57 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,243,813 times
Quote:
I have to comment on some of the threads I have seen on this board. I have lived in Charlotte for 5 years (moved from NJ) and reside in the Blakney area. The schools are GREAT and there is virtually no crime here. Take a look at the test scores for the schools and the crime stats for the area if you don't believe me. Are there parts of Charlotte that are less desirable? Yup, just like every other city in the country, and that's why I don't live in those areas. I chose to do some research and now live in a fabulous area for me and my family. If you are unhappy with your part of Charlotte, get out! There are so many fabulous areas here that provide great public schools, low crime and a great quality of life. I live in one of those areas, so I know of what I speak. Thank you
I know I'm an out-of-stater possibly moving to Charlotte, and I've actually enjoyed the honesty of everyone on here. I am doing my research too. Us Out of towners are just trying to get the opinions of those living in Charlotte. Whether it be gloom and doom, or bright and sunny...I value all opinions. I need to make sure that I am choosing the right area for what I am looking for.
So I actually thank all of you, whatever your opinion is, its an honest one...and thats what matters.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:59 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Charlotte is no different than any other media market for running stories like this before "feel good" stories get put on the air.

Love it or hate it, people tune in to see car wrecks, murders, or anything "goulish" so to speak. That's the way its always been. Until they change the Nielson format, it ain't going to change.

Here's an idea. In NYC they generally run 1/2 or 1 hr programs on the weekends which detail "positive" local stories. (anyone from NY area remember "Jane's NY" or "Positively Black"?)

I haven't studied the local programming to know if they do feel good stories local to Charlotte....maybe someone knows?

Old 01-01-2008, 08:00 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
moderator note Final Warning:

Old 01-01-2008, 08:06 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
[CENTER]moderator note Final Warning:

[/CENTER]
Sunny you crack me up!!

Hey, I'll be woman enough to give it a shot...

Okay, the original post was about good schools and low crime areas, right?
Guess the media thing took on a life of its own - apologies to the op

Old 01-01-2008, 08:32 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,243,813 times
LOL
I love it Sunny. Too funny.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:46 PM

153 posts, read 477,835 times
Good schools, low crime - Lincoln County.
There are PLENTY of places where you could move and be happy and safe and your kids could be well-educated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte