Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 09:47 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,827,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
It was a very serious question. I actually wanted your opinion on what makes a district successful. I should know better than to try to have a discussion on an online forum. Why try to understand someone else's point of view when I can just shout my own opinions and snark instead

I have many issues with CMS but none of those would change if the district were smaller.
Just as you were asking, I was asking too. Online forums are full of trolls and wasn't sure if you were one. I somewhat answered it in my other post in this thread. I have a special education child and a TD certified child. I find CMS severely lacking in both areas. I do think they fall in the cracks due to the myriad of issues CMS faces in the sheer size of it's district. In a smaller district, I think it would be easier to tackle issues and address all of them. I see it when my friends' children with similar issues as mine are in smaller districts.

But as I said in my other post, I would want to see an in depth study first. And using credible and solid resources, not the anything similar to what they used in Union County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 08:48 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,787 times
CMS needs broken up ASAP. My wife has taught in CMS for 14 years. Its hell. She just accepted a teaching position in a neighboring county. she is taking a pay cut, but is extremely happy. she spends more time doing paperwork than anything else. she will have very little paperwork at her new school, she can put all her energy into teaching kids. CMS is just full of upper managers collecting a salary, and making teachers lives hell.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:17 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,350,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
Not saying that splitting up is or isn't the right thing to do, but superintendent pay probably isn't the best argument for doing it. 1 superintendent at $288K isn't going to beget 2 or 3 in a smaller district at a fraction of the cost, so at least the superintendent salary will be more, not less. Don't know if your actual HQ headcount would shrink or grow in a "split" scenario, either.
Plus wouldn't they still probably need someone to oversee all 3 of them?

Old 11-06-2014, 12:10 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Plus wouldn't they still probably need someone to oversee all 3 of them?
If we are talking about 3 separate districts, then there wouldn't need to be to be an overseer over all 3.

Current state law suggests that each district would have to have its own elected board and presumably that board would elect to install a superintendent to manage each system. On the other hand, current state law would have to be modified to allow such a thing.

IMO, such a change in state law would fall on sympathetic ears in the NC GA considering that the GOP controls it now, but there is a huge entrenched vested interest in the education status quo that would fight tooth and nail to prevent it. And I'm sure the NAACP would also go completely bonkers if there is any attempt to create a school district that essentially consisted of West & East Charlotte.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 11-06-2014 at 12:32 AM..

Old 11-06-2014, 02:05 AM

52 posts, read 91,684 times
Better opinion is given by chicagomichauds.. Im having the opinion not to split CMS. I belive, Unity in diversity.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:07 AM

52 posts, read 91,684 times
I belive in unity in diversity.. so my opinion is not to split CMS which may effect so many resources.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:28 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,199,422 times
CMS will never be split. Mainly because there won't be any political traction, even among the GOP, for the desired split (which is basically "Get us rich white people our own school district").

Move to UC or Gastonia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte