Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 02:07 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times

Advertisements

Last time we tried DSL it was slower than cable.

Because of that we have stuck to cable.

The rates are going up and up and I just got my new bill and it has gone up AGAIN!

Thoughts on comparing the two?

Thanks.

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 03:07 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
If I am not mistaken you are in a rural location and you will be better off with cable due to less people sharing your line.
DSL I wouldnt recommend to anyone in a rural location unless you live beside a telephone switching location. To me it more ideal in a urban setting.
You just made me think of a resolution for 2008. Make friends with people who work on cable, appliances and HVAC.
Price hike stink but I cant stand internet that runs slow.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:34 PM

I have no idea about the switching location. We are in Marvin and would need to use Windstream as BellSouth is not available here.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
If I am not mistaken you are in a rural location and you will be better off with cable due to less people sharing your line.
DSL I wouldnt recommend to anyone in a rural location unless you live beside a telephone switching location. To me it more ideal in a urban setting.
You just made me think of a resolution for 2008. Make friends with people who work on cable, appliances and HVAC.
Price hike stink but I cant stand internet that runs slow.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:04 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I have no idea about the switching location. We are in Marvin and would need to use Windstream as BellSouth is not available here.

Dawn
Dawn- Happy New Year...

I've have *both* due to the nature of my work. Cable is more resistant to interference than DSL. I had several hiccups with DSL in my area (Wesley Chapel) but that was due to construction and has since stabilized. Cable is my primary source and my Windstream DSL is backup. I started out with DSL and I lived with every now and then hiccups and 20 minute outages but after a near 72 outage with them (I can't have that happen) I added Time Warner cable. The multi-day outage wasn't a regular occurrence and if you could live with that it might be a good alternative. I've not had any significant downtime with TW

Old 01-01-2008, 08:04 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Last time we tried DSL it was slower than cable.

Because of that we have stuck to cable.

The rates are going up and up and I just got my new bill and it has gone up AGAIN!

Thoughts on comparing the two?

Thanks.

Dawn
Dawn, how about the triple play w/Time Warner? (phone, internet, & cable)?

Old 01-01-2008, 08:15 PM

Dish came out this week and told me that they can't hook me up because of the high trees where they need to position the satellite. They said their satellite needs to be lower than Directv and Directv is in the ONLY spot on our property that allows us to use it. Neither satellite company can position the satellite to give me HDTV!

We had no idea that this would be such an issue!

Otherwise that is a very good suggestion!

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post

Old 01-01-2008, 09:52 PM

11 posts, read 42,031 times
I have Time Warner cable high speed. If you can get it they have deals from $19.95 a month. At my last apartment the service was great but horrible at my new apartment. I ended up talking to their legal department in NY who got this local Charlotte office off their ass but they were still screwing up.

I start calling their board members and that did the trick. They sent independent technical consultants to my apartment to fix all of the problems and I told T/W that if the local screw-ups even touch anything I will send an official letter to the board explaining why T/W is losing customers. I have not had any problems since. The big plus with a cable hook up is I can use Vonage phone service for $30 a month and call anywhere in the world, talk as long as I want and never pay more than $30 a month-and that includes taxes.

Some people get great quality with dsl in other states but I had Bell South in Charlotte and it was HORRIBLE. The best dial up I ever had was Net Zero for $10 a month.

Yes, it is a nightmare getting good service.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:17 AM

Oh, oops, you were talking about cable. No, cable TV is out for us....the expense alone is too much. The triple play is only ONE TV hooked up with no DVR. It also is the light 1.5 megabite internet and DH does work from home so he needs the higher speed. The phone is also double what we pay for Vonage.

Thanks,

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post

Old 01-02-2008, 06:20 AM

That was our experience (with DSL and BellSouth) in the SouthPark area when we rented until we could get our house sold in CA.

We do have Vonage, so that is a plus although it has been having issues lately and dropping calls or people say my voice sounds really fuzzy. I haven't priced the phone company here (Windstream).

What kind of TV do you have? Have you gotten Vonage to call in to your Satellite if you have it? We haven't been able to so our Tivos all say it has been 300 days since your last call in.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunriver777 View Post
I have Time Warner cable high speed. If you can get it they have deals from $19.95 a month. At my last apartment the service was great but horrible at my new apartment. I ended up talking to their legal department in NY who got this local Charlotte office off their ass but they were still screwing up.

I start calling their board members and that did the trick. They sent independent technical consultants to my apartment to fix all of the problems and I told T/W that if the local screw-ups even touch anything I will send an official letter to the board explaining why T/W is losing customers. I have not had any problems since. The big plus with a cable hook up is I can use Vonage phone service for $30 a month and call anywhere in the world, talk as long as I want and never pay more than $30 a month-and that includes taxes.

Some people get great quality with dsl in other states but I had Bell South in Charlotte and it was HORRIBLE. The best dial up I ever had was Net Zero for $10 a month.

Yes, it is a nightmare getting good service.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:43 AM

63 posts, read 180,884 times
Quote:
Oh, oops, you were talking about cable. No, cable TV is out for us....the expense alone is too much. The triple play is only ONE TV hooked up with no DVR. It also is the light 1.5 megabite internet and DH does work from home so he needs the higher speed. The phone is also double what we pay for Vonage.
I can recommend what we do, though it may or may not work for your family.

We have cable TV and cable modem only. We have no landline of any kind.

I had DSL in the past and found the service to be quirky and slow. Cable internet is not without its quirks, but they seem to be fewer, and the download times are faster on a dollar-for-dollar comparison.

We dropped the landline when we realized how much we were paying PacBell/SBC/AT&T (whatever they were calling themselves then), when more and more of our friends and family were calling our cell numbers instead of the home number out of their personal convenience and habit. Once you get a landline and add voice mail and call waiting, that runs about $25/mo after the state and Federal taxes are included. When I dropped the landline I also dropped the DSL (obviously) and we were paying for the cellphones either way. In the long run, it has saved us money over DSL and a landline, plus satellite TV, or getting a "triple play" from the cable co.

There may be a reason you feel you need a landline. It certainly makes a home fax machine easy to use, but one can fax through the internet these days very easily and cheaply (even get a virtual phone number to have people fax to you). My mom still has her landlines (two of them, one for DSL and faxes) and she gets all sorts of spam faxes once the word got out in the direct marketing community that her second line was a fax line--that is paper and ink wasted from her fax machine. With internet faxing, the documents come to you as PDF attachments, and you can examine the document and decide if it is worth printing out; in addition, the document is already an electronic one and can easily be forwarded to another party if necessary.

Likewise, if you have a home security system then you're going to need a landline.

As I said, I don't know what your needs are, but if you examine your needs and find you don't require a landline, you can cut that out of your budget and save money in the long run, making cable for TV (including HDTV) and internet more affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte