Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 11:01 AM

645 posts, read 1,069,662 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised that there hasn't been a discussion about the UNCC Police sexual harassment lawsuit in the forum.

For those who don't read the news:

UNCC police lieutenant accused of sexual harassment

Isn't the school supposed to publish crimes and alleged crimes that occur on campus? I don't think it was in existence when I was in school, but sometime in the past 25 years or so, I believe it became a federal law that public universities and colleges had to publish the campus crimes. What happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 05:23 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,933,008 times
1. The article never mentions the word lawsuit, there was an HR complaint, and then she filed a police report. Nowhere does it say she has or is filing a lawsuit.

2. HR complaints are not a matter of public record, police reports are and as the article states "she recently filed a police report."

3. The law you are speaking of is the "Jeanne Clery Act," the only thing that is required that the school "publish" is an "ASR" (Annual Security Report,) which is a statistical report. The school must also keep a Crime Log, but all it needs to contain is basic descriptor information. The crime log must be made available but it is up to an outside outlet to "publish," anything. This is probably where WCNC first got the info, then they investigated it for the story and published it.

You can read more about the law here:
Summary of the Jeanne Clery Act | Clery Center For Security On Campus

4. What kind of discussion does a story like this merit? She allegedly got harassed/assaulted filed an HR complaint, it was not handled to her liking, so she file a police report, and now it is being investigated by State Bureau of Investigations for possible charges. What more needs to be said about it?

Old 11-08-2014, 06:44 PM

Interesting response. Sort of defensive. There's a long thread about UNCC being a laughingstock with lots of people commenting in defense of the school (over a long period of time), but so far only you have responded to this particular thread.

Sexual harassment is a bad thing, but I guess it's not so bad because the UNCC police aren't part of CMPD, huh? If it happened in the mayor's office, everyone would be crawling all over it. Since the alleged sexual harassment occurred within the UNCC Police department, it's no big deal. Or is it that UNCC is no big deal? Or is it that the incident is no big deal?

Well, Good Night, Irene. I give up.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:11 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,933,008 times
Not defensive, simply correcting inaccuracies and half truths in your original post.

Who said this was no big deal or not a bad thing, are you reading words that were never written? Personally I think it is a big deal just as anything invesitgated by the SBI is a big deal.

What kind of discussion would you like to see about this incident?

Old 11-09-2014, 09:00 AM

Nobody seems to want to express an opinion about it. It almost seems that discussing anything negative about UNCC is taboo on this board. In the thread about UNCC being a laughingstock, many opinions were thrown out, and anyone who didn't go with the rah rah crowd got mowed down. Not so with the Heath Morrison story. There's speculation galore there.

The only untruth I wrote was a misinterpretation of the news narrative as having been submitted to a court which is, I believe, a lawsuit. I was wrong. Mea culpa.

If nobody wants to discuss it, let it go.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:10 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,599,615 times
This is about a "manager" harrassing a co-worker. What does this have to do with UNCC education? These things are not okay and she has moved this to the state level because she thought it was not handled correctly. We will see where this goes and let the investigation play itself out. This is more about an unhealthy workplace than it is anything about the college, it just happens to be the UNCC police department. If you dislike UNCC so much don't go there or send you children there if you have any, and discourage anyone you know from going there. There is a thread asking why UNCC is the laughing stock of the UNC system and it was shown that is not the case. I did not go to UNCC,and have no affiliation with the college or any UNC campus. I went to college in FL but see nothing wrong with the school, and work with graduates from there that are good at what they do. I am confused as to what this between 2 co-workers has anything to do with the validity of the education at UNCC. Now the scandal at UNC CH that is about education.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:18 PM

Hey, I moved the topic away from the other thread. I merely made the comment that the scandal was no laughing matter. Ask the mods to delete it.

I seem to have touched a nerve. Why do you feel the need to disavow yourself of any affiliation with UNCC? Hmmm...

Campus police aren't considered part of the university community or part of the Charlotte community? Wow. A community of twenty-five thousand within another, larger community isn't important? You don't think that this issue reflects poorly upon UNCC? I read somewhere that the previous UNCC chief of police was removed for casting the school in a bad light in some way. Doesn't this cast the school in a bad light?

What makes you think I dislike UNCC? I've never even set foot on the campus. You seem to be taking this unflattering news personally. Why?

I introduced the topic because it was in the news. Is there something wrong with that? Should it not be discussed in the Charlotte City forum?

Old 11-11-2014, 05:49 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,599,615 times
I am not taking it personally, as I said I never attended the college and have nothing to do with them. You said discussing anything negative about them is taboo which it is not. But I still do not think this has to do with the college itself but with 2 individuals within the college pd. Do I think that this is vile and should never happen, absolutely. If this was a pandemic or reoccurring situation and was hidden or swept under the rug then yes absolutely go after the college but this is singular occurrence as far as we know. This was also between 2 officers, had this been them harassing students I could see this being a black eye.I never said UNCC isn't important it is actually the opposite it brings in outside exposure, and educates local and non local students and puts a solid portion of them into the workforce here.

I do not know about the former UNCC police chief or his exploits I was speaking of this case. If they did remove him for having an issue I applaud them for that and not acting like this never happened and taking the steps to make sure he wasn't still in power. Does UNCC have it's issues of course it does as does every college...low graduation rate and plenty of other issues that were discussed in the other thread, but as far as this casting a bad light on the college I do not think it does.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:59 PM

Lieutenant Shawn Smith resigned. It hasn't been published in mainstream media. The neighbor's kid said she read it in the school newspaper.

I also learned that the previous UNCC police captain had appeared in Playboy magazine when she was in college and didn't finish requisite classes for her UNCC police position in time.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:47 PM

5,459 posts, read 6,058,580 times
So you want someone to comment, they do, and you accuse them of being defensive...... Hummmm,
beginning to wonder about your motives.
Easy to assume you really just want someone to validate your position not actually comment on the issue.

While I know little of the charges or the incident, apparently it is being handled appropriately. From my perspective, not a soul is arguing it didn't happen, the only disagreement is over the severity of the outcome to this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte