Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 07:22 PM

3 posts, read 27,702 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am a (friendly) New Yorker who fell in love with Charlotte life. I have many family members there already, but cannot find work! I can't see moving until I can find a job that can sustain me and my NY bills (car payments, credit cards etc...) I am a history teacher by profession but want to pursue a career in writing/editing/children's non fiction/something related to history. I am not interested in teaching and there really aren't any history teaching positions or so it seems. Any advise, tips, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 08:01 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,563,395 times
Keep positive, driven and an open mind. You will get to Charlotte and love it here.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 01-01-2008, 08:13 PM

560 posts, read 1,550,575 times
I think the only nice thing about Charlotte is its charming downtown area, because once you drive past it, all you see is around is run-down places... I went to UNC Charlotte and lived in the city 2 years after graduation. It was hard to find a job even back then (late 90's). I imagine it must be worse now since many people have moved there from other parts of the country. I now live and work in Raleigh. It has no city feel that I sooo.. crave and finding a job is pretty hard too. Rents/house prices are higher than in Charlotte too so after living in these 2 major NC cities, I concluded that both Charlotte and the Raleigh-Durham area are good for the following 3 groups of people:

- Retirees
- Families with small children
- College students

If you don't fit in any of the above, I don't think you'll like Charlotte, Raleigh or NC in general. I myself will be moving to Philadelphia this summer since I love big cities and all the positive things that they offer for 30 somethings.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
I think the only nice thing about Charlotte is its charming downtown area, because once you drive past it, all you see is around is run-down places... I went to UNC Charlotte and lived in the city 2 years after graduation. It was hard to find a job even back then (late 90's). I imagine it must be worse now since many people have moved there from other parts of the country. I now live and work in Raleigh. It has no city feel that I sooo.. crave and finding a job is pretty hard too. Rents/house prices are higher than in Charlotte too so after living in these 2 major NC cities, I concluded that both Charlotte and the Raleigh-Durham area are good for the following 3 groups of people:

- Retirees
- Families with small children
- College students

If you don't fit in any of the above, I don't think you'll like Charlotte, Raleigh or NC in general. I myself will be moving to Philadelphia this summer since I love big cities and all the positive things that they offer for 30 somethings.
What a ridiculous post. There are many parts of Charlotte that are VERY nice besides Uptown.

Southpark, Ballantyne, Piper Glen, Chantilly, Elizabeth, Dilworth, NODA, SouthEnd, Plaza-Midwood, Lake Wylie...and several nice burbs like Huntersville, Pineville, Matthews, Mint Hill, Cornelius & Davidson (and others I may have left out).

When was the last time you were in Charlotte? If is has been more than a year or so, you would not even recognize it!

You must have not gotten out much!

Old 01-01-2008, 08:59 PM

146 posts, read 452,119 times
I just had to laugh because we moved to Charlotte from Philly... Love it here so far, granted I do have kids. But if you are looking for a city- DC or NYC are way more fun then Philly. We have many friends who still live in NYC and we lived in the DC area for 10 years and loved it.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:03 PM

146 posts, read 452,119 times
Sorry if my last post didn't make sense, I am exhausted from new years i just wanted to say that Charlotte (so far as a newcomer) is a great place to live. I have spent all my prior life in East Coast cities and find the differences here refreshing.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:08 PM

Yeah..That's so funny. I can't afford NYC or DC ( I lived there prior to moving to Raleigh), so the only reasonable big city I came up with was Philadelphia. Thanks for the advice and you'll love Charlotte since you have kids!

Old 01-01-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Yeah..That's so funny. I can't afford NYC or DC ( I lived there prior to moving to Raleigh), so the only reasonable big city I came up with was Philadelphia. Thanks for the advice and you'll love Charlotte since you have kids!
And you will love Charlotte if you are young and sinlge. Just hang around Uptown if you are young and single and you will find plenty to do!

If you didn't like Charlotte, you must hate Raleigh. Talk about a family town.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:22 PM

Hey there...I actually spent New Year's eve in Charlotte and just returned today. I do not like Raleigh, which is why I am making final preparations to get out.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Hey there...I actually spent New Year's eve in Charlotte and just returned today. I do not like Raleigh, which is why I am making final preparations to get out.
We lived in Raleigh for 2 years and could not wait to get out. Have been here for 15 years and LOVE Charlotte. We live Uptown, work Uptown, dine Uptown & play Uptown. I understand alot of people single and with families would not want to live Uptown. I could not imagine living anywhere else in the Charlotte area (except maybe a multi-million dollar lakefront home on Lake Norman...lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte