Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 05:06 AM

62 posts, read 83,578 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have been in Charlotte almost a month, after coming from NYC. I really love Charlotte and I am happy to be here. I am REALLY interested in buying. I was in contract to buy a Townhouse in Ballantyne until I heard the inspection.

I noticed that True Homes are building Townhouses in Monroe? Was planning on looking? Is that a safe area? right now I am in an apt in Matthews near Galleria and I like the area and safety compared to NYC. Since I am a single female buying and living alone. My safety is my concern.

I drove around the subdivision and ask owners did the like their homes and did they all like living there. They all said they like it, that it is nice and safe. Unfortunately I have night blindness and can't drive at night. So I can't go at night.

Thanks in advance.

Now to enjoy all my Veterans Day free meals today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 05:26 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Cookie cutter track homes, not my cup of tea. You may like it. I just don't see them appreciating or gaining equity much. Monroe has other threads here about the huge school board issues and massive property tax increases. In 5 years they will have higher property taxes than Charlotte, but ALOT less of the services offered for those taxes.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:47 AM

13 posts, read 25,405 times
If I had the choice between Ballantyne and Monroe, I would never pick Monroe.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:05 AM

Thanks for the advice, I was taken to Ballantyne by an agent, the owner had not taken care of the house. The inspector said I would needs handyman to do the work. I am far from being a handyman, that would have been to much work. So I ended the contract.

I found Monroe without an agent, the subdivision seem nice and safe. Since I have been here, I have went through three real estate agent. They all seem to see me as a commission.

It was easier in NYC since I knew the area and knew where the bad and good areas were. I like Matthews, my realtor said the houses here are older and not up to date. As well it puts me close to Executive Center drive where I work.

If it is bad, I can sell or rent it out since it just me. Hopefully I made a good choice.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:13 AM

625 posts, read 488,178 times
We have a True Homes house, out of the many builders, they are less cookie cutter than most in that price range. They have many more options to make the home more custom than builders like Lennar, Ryan, or Ryland.

That said, I wouldn't want to live in Monroe, especially as a single female. I'm female and lived in NYC and the times we've driven through Monroe I get the ick factor going on. Reminds me of the less desirable areas of Brooklyn with some pockets of nice areas. It just seemed like you'd be in a nice neighborhood and then walk a few blocks and it looked like, well...

Between Monroe and Matthews, Matthews hands down. But, based on your last sentence it sounds like you already signed up for one of the houses?

Old 11-11-2014, 08:37 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
You can't drive at night? Hopefully you get out of work by 4:00 because it starts getting dark around 5:00 in the winter. I also thought you said you didn't want to commute more than like 15 minutes to work? Ballantyne and Monroe are both at least 30 minutes, more in traffic. As has been said, most consider Ballantyne to be much nicer than Monroe.

True Homes are by no means luxury, but they're basically the least expensive way to get a new house. Like most builders, it really depends on the crew building your specific house. I have some friends who built with True Homes and they really had to stay on top of the supervisor guy.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:40 AM

129 posts, read 201,084 times
You should find a good buyers agent and work with them to find your home. When you go from agent to agent their loyalty is as much to you as yours seems to be for them.

Sign on with a Buyers Agent who will work for you to find you the right home in the right area for your needs.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:01 PM

85 posts, read 138,995 times
I bought a newly built Truehomes and have been relatively happy with it. It's not a custom home, but it is very well built, has a great warranty, and aside from various small issues like irregular drywall finishing, we haven't had any complaints.

I'm very anal when it comes to construction and while some things were done differently than I would have done, for the money I can't complain. We bought a 2500+ sq foot home with plenty of upgrades, on a much better lot, in an HOA with much better amenities, for $50-100k less than 3 similar developments within 2 miles of here.

Would I rather have brick siding? Probably, but is it worth it to be house poor? Not in the slightest.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:27 PM

930 posts, read 2,160,437 times
I'm guessing that people that think little of Monroe are thinking of downtown Monroe? There are some very nice areas with Monroe addresses. One of them is Rolling Hills Country Club. You shouldn't jump to conclusions. They are building a new subdivision on Secrest Shortcut with houses starting in the $300's. My house has an Indian Trail address, but is technically in the city limits of Monroe. If you are on, I guess the southside, where downtown is, I would understand, but there are areas of Monroe that are nice.

I think the area you are looking at is closer to Indian Trail off of 74? There is nothing wrong with that area. My son used to have friends that lived in that neighborhood. Rule of thumb no matter where you are or live, watch your surroundings when you are out, especially at night. And I'm not talking about Monroe, I'm talking about anywhere USA.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:13 PM

Hello,

Originally I didn't want to drive more than 15 minutes, I set my GPS to avoid highways and I take local streets. I was being loyal to agents and taking their words and they were interested in the fact that I had the pre-approval and was anxious to purchase a home.

I will admit that my desire to be a home owner before the end of the year was a very motivating factor.

Yes, I get off of work early, I get off at 4:30 and Executive Circle Drive to Matthews is a short drive. I am home before it is dark.

Many co-workers did tell me slow down and continue renting until you know the area. You have only been here a month and buying a house. Learn the different area prior to an investment.

Not knowing the area I looked at quick move in and True Homes was available. I did drive in the subdivision and ask people how did they feel about area. All said quiet and they like it.

I will be aware of my surroundings, I will also obtain my gun permit and take concealed weapon class next month.

Thanks for all the advice. Question: if I drive into the subdivision and I don't see any obvious crime and everyone who lives says it's safe. How can I say it's a bad neighborhood. My concern has always been safety. I was paying $1600 a month for a one bedroom in NYC in order to be in asafe neighbor.

I am comparing the neighborhoods I see to New York City and all neighborhoods surpass New York City neighborhoods. I have only seen one area that looked like a rough neighborhood. They were all in front of the complex and clothes in the window. It was what in NYC we consider the proverbial ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte