Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 02:24 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
What an oxymoron! Upscale and Rocky Mount.....two things I never thought I'd see in the sentence.....or thought.... wow!

Mile after mile of shopping centers?

Were you in Rocky Mount NORTH CAROLINA? If you were, what meds were you taking? I need to take them if I'm ever stuck there again. It's one of the worst places in America! Hasn't even won that award once....it's been multiple times.
Are you trying to say that it's worse than Camden, NJ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 05:02 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Are you trying to say that it's worse than Camden, NJ?
Have you read the articles about Rocky Mount? I also said one of the worst, not the worst. I'd give that award to Detroit.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:57 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Have you read the articles about Rocky Mount? I also said one of the worst, not the worst. I'd give that award to Detroit.
While I'd disagree with Rocky Mount being "one of the worst" (in my travels throughout the country, I've seen bad and worse and, while Rocky Mount has gotten worse over the years, its far from "one of the worst" in my view), things have changed for the worst there over the years. The problem often is low income individuals (some of whom are involved in drugs/gangs) being pushed out of gentrifying areas of NYC, etc. (we've had a lot of that up here) and "going back down South." Not all of these people are bad, but some of them were the worst (in terms of gang activity and drug peddling) that certain now gentrifying cities had to offer. The funny thing is that, places like Rocky Mount (or any other smaller City/town for that matter) that were once romanticized as being safe, cheaper alternatives from certain larger areas are now the exact opposite (note, my mother was raised in Rocky Mount at a time where you didn't have to lock your doors, but those times are now gone). You see the same thing happening to parts of Long Island as certain troublemakers from NYC are getting pushed out to those areas, thus destroying the quality of life that was once there.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:58 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Quote:
What an oxymoron! Upscale and Rocky Mount.....two things I never thought I'd see in the sentence.....or thought.... wow!

Mile after mile of shopping centers?

Were you in Rocky Mount NORTH CAROLINA? If you were, what meds were you taking? I need to take them if I'm ever stuck there again. It's one of the worst places in America! Hasn't even won that award once....it's been multiple times.
I went to see a client who had her French chateaux disassembled and shipped piece by piece from France to Rocky Mount. The only areas I went to were filled with Mercedes & BMWs. But to get to these small enclaves I had to pass through mile after mile of dirty strip shopping centers and equally grimy people at bus stops. The person that went with me managed to get us lost in downtown Durham on the way there. Durham reminded me of a set off The Walking Dead... Mile after mile of empty buildings...

No meds but I was accompanied by a person who never stopped talking the entire time we were there. She finally shut up when I threatened to leave her on I-85 with her luggage in the middle of the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte