Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 06:13 PM

58 posts, read 76,828 times

Advertisements

Is the brightwalk development in north charlotte in a good neighborhood or one that might be good in future. From pictures u can see sky line looks pretty but wasnt sure of area. Currently in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 08:54 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,599,615 times
That area needs some work. That is just north of uptown off Statesville near Graham. The NC Music Factory is helping the area some but it is still not somewhere I would want to live with a family.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:10 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,215,148 times
There is still some horrible area nearby. This was a community based on the leveling of the old notorious Double Oaks community.

Brightwalk only took out half the Double Oaks. The rest is behind some concrete barricades guarded by a moonlighting cop. Once the developer is done, I imagine the cop and security will no longer be paid for.

It is an iffy buy. The housing and developments nearby that are still bad are not going to disappear. You will have alot of pedestrian foot traffic undesireables up to no good.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:12 AM

370 posts, read 544,405 times
Brightwalk is currently a little risky. You just have to decide what your comfort level is. These houses could end up being a STEAL in the near future if N Tryon development continues to spill north of 277 and the Music Factory continues to blossom. I guess the best way to think of it is, right now is probably the worst "environment" that neighborhood is going to be, because quite frankly it is gentrifying at a rapid rate.

NoDa is going to begin spilling over to N Tryon, especially after the light rail is done. You are already seeing it with announcements like the new NoDa Brewery location basically being bound by Atando and N Tryon. Druid Hills and Tryon Hills are still kinda sketchy but Lockwood is rapidly improving, as is Genesis Park.

That said, there are plenty of good people currently in all of these neighborhoods and it's unfair to blanket them as "all bad". My recommendation would be to visit the neighborhood and surrounding neighborhoods at different times of the day. Foot traffic and "poor people" do not automatically equate to crime. If you are comfortable with it, buy. If not, look elsewhere! Good luck.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosHogan View Post
Brightwalk is currently a little risky. You just have to decide what your comfort level is. These houses could end up being a STEAL in the near future if N Tryon development continues to spill north of 277 and the Music Factory continues to blossom. I guess the best way to think of it is, right now is probably the worst "environment" that neighborhood is going to be, because quite frankly it is gentrifying at a rapid rate.

NoDa is going to begin spilling over to N Tryon, especially after the light rail is done. You are already seeing it with announcements like the new NoDa Brewery location basically being bound by Atando and N Tryon. Druid Hills and Tryon Hills are still kinda sketchy but Lockwood is rapidly improving, as is Genesis Park.

That said, there are plenty of good people currently in all of these neighborhoods and it's unfair to blanket them as "all bad". My recommendation would be to visit the neighborhood and surrounding neighborhoods at different times of the day. Foot traffic and "poor people" do not automatically equate to crime. If you are comfortable with it, buy. If not, look elsewhere! Good luck.
I agree thats why I said the area needs some work. It is getting better and with development I could see it being a solid place. If they are considering there with a family and children probably not a great idea since the schools are not good. If a single male and wanting to be close to uptown for a lower price and don't mind sketchy areas around you it is a solid place, and with current development could as you said be a steal in the future.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:21 AM

370 posts, read 544,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
I agree thats why I said the area needs some work. It is getting better and with development I could see it being a solid place. If they are considering there with a family and children probably not a great idea since the schools are not good. If a single male and wanting to be close to uptown for a lower price and don't mind sketchy areas around you it is a solid place, and with current development could as you said be a steal in the future.
Completely agree with this.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:00 PM

58 posts, read 76,828 times
Thanks for your opinions. Right now schools r biggest priority.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannamoov View Post
Thanks for your opinions. Right now schools r biggest priority.

What grade level?

Old 11-16-2014, 06:11 AM

343 posts, read 686,644 times
I always caution against anything that says the word "Development".
That usually means cheap built homes. No basements, cheap cabinets, cheap appliances, MDF moldings and so on.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:32 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,350,079 times
Never heard of this neighborhood until this thread. Reading the replies here I was expecting prices to be in the $100's or something, but I see they start at like $265K. I noticed on a real estate website I look at that the school assignments are not listed...usually not a good sign. If schools are your biggest concern, there are many better options in that price range, you'll just have to go further away. Although if you really like this area and the assigned schools are that bad, there should be magnet options as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte