Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 10:03 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LItoCharlotte View Post
Might depend on the area of the US.

There were a number of them that she showed us.

Also where I live in NY - FSBOS will let agents show as well.
I agree. When I was looking at houses, several FSBO offered a small percentage to buyer's agents as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 03:33 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,982,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
FSBOs normally dont let buyers agents in. So that was a lucky break.
Most FSBOs do welcome buyer's agents and do pay commission. If you look at any FSBO website you'll see that notation, and a usual commission is 2.5-3%. So, if a buyer is looking at a FSBO house, it's well worth it to bring along an agent especially if the buyer is not comfortable with doing negotiations with the FSBO seller or if the buyer isn't an experienced buyer and unfamiliar with the process of contracts, due diligence, and all the responsibilities that are the buyer's.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:13 AM

165 posts, read 356,845 times
I got to wonder who will look out for your legal rights when buying a property.

Who will write it up?

Ask for closing costs or other items,

They usually help you walk the house and look for needed repairs ect.

Find a good loan officer, they can help you as well.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:36 AM

821 posts, read 1,854,303 times
Get a trusted agent to represent YOU. 'nuff said.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:27 PM

165 posts, read 356,845 times
unless you know the real estate and mortgage laws inside and out.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:13 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,379,883 times
Plenty of good advice and reasons, but also keep in mind that, "researching houses and listings online," is not as comprehensive or accurate as the MLS access that a licensed realtor has. Sites like realtor.com and Zillow et al. are good starting points to get an idea of an area and the real estate market, but a local buyer's agent will know the market and be a step ahead on availability of properties.

As a buyer, there really isn't any loss or risk to you. Just be sure to interview and ensure you are happy with your chosen agent before signing anything!

Old 11-20-2014, 09:39 AM

11 posts, read 15,342 times
I'm always confused as to why someone doesn't want to use a professional to assist in their home search. It costs you nothing as the buyer, so why not?! I'm having a home built and I moved here from up north so I wasn't completely familiar with the area. My agent took me to neighborhoods that fit the criteria I gave her, instead of me running around or doing tons of research by myself. She walked model homes, spec homes and lots (and there were many!), pointed out things and asked questions I probably wouldn't have thought of, plus any questions I had for the new home agent or regarding finance questions, she took care of for me. She even caught a mistake that neither I and the nor the sales agent did not, saving me a few thousand dollars!

Get someone you feel comfortable with to represent YOU! I'd recommend my agent to anyone looking in North or South Carolina in a heart beat. It's been a great experience.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:48 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossLadee View Post
I'm always confused as to why someone doesn't want to use a professional to assist in their home search. It costs you nothing as the buyer, so why not?! I'm having a home built and I moved here from up north so I wasn't completely familiar with the area. My agent took me to neighborhoods that fit the criteria I gave her, instead of me running around or doing tons of research by myself. She walked model homes, spec homes and lots (and there were many!), pointed out things and asked questions I probably wouldn't have thought of, plus any questions I had for the new home agent or regarding finance questions, she took care of for me. She even caught a mistake that neither I and the nor the sales agent did not, saving me a few thousand dollars!

Get someone you feel comfortable with to represent YOU! I'd recommend my agent to anyone looking in North or South Carolina in a heart beat. It's been a great experience.
If you read the OP, they wanted to save the cost of what would be charged for a buyer's agent and have it applied to the purchase price. It was explained that it wouldn't make a difference if she used one or not.

I can understand someone wanting to save 3% on a home, that's quite bit of money. Especially since an attorney is a fourth of that cost. But it is what it is, so I do suggest using a buyer's agent.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:11 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,663,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
Plenty of good advice and reasons, but also keep in mind that, "researching houses and listings online," is not as comprehensive or accurate as the MLS access that a licensed realtor has. Sites like realtor.com and Zillow et al. are good starting points to get an idea of an area and the real estate market, but a local buyer's agent will know the market and be a step ahead on availability of properties.

As a buyer, there really isn't any loss or risk to you. Just be sure to interview and ensure you are happy with your chosen agent before signing anything!
The risk to anyone buying is that the salespeople will steer you their people who, if you read the many other threads, regret being led around the process without any true represtation resulting in unexpected repairs after the commissions have been paid.

I think the question is whether you can afford not to use a real estate lawyer to protect the buyer, or sellers, interests while negotiating one of the largest purchases most families make in their life. Anyone selling anything knows they must factor into the price the cost of making a sale. If you buy a can of coffee at the store you are paying everyone else in the food chain who handled the product. In accounting it is called the cost of goods sold. Selling a house is the same, the cost to the seller to pay a salesperson their outrageous commission is shifted to the buyer. This also happens when you own a mutual fund, expenses are paid out before you are paid your share. Charges, such as taxes and commissions, are taken from the fund/sale before your distributions are made. Who pays the commission is always the buyer who pays more than they would have without a salesperson being involved. It is the cost of the sale to the seller passed along to the buyer.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:17 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,160,384 times
A good buyer agent can negotiate for you his cost and then some...

That agent is protection and assurance for you that you are making a good deal, like or not we all benefit from good professional help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte