Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 06:07 PM

129 posts, read 201,135 times

Advertisements

To each his own I guess.

I am moving from out of state and really appreciated all the help my buyers agent gave me in terms of condo developments, knowing what I was looking for and previewing for me, handling the inspection and follow ups etc.

She is worth every penny that my seller is paying her
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 06:20 PM

18 posts, read 23,956 times
I recently had a similar dilemma. In my case, the purchase was for new construction. Leaving 2.5% on the table for the builder was absurd. Securing a buyer's agent for the minimal work to be performed - I'd already researched the area, home, market, etc. and live in the area I selected - the commission seemed far larger ($/hour) for the effort involved. It was a lot of money to pay someone when the legwork had already been done. I didn't need to be driven around or handheld - just someone to handle the final negotiation/purchase agreement (again new construction).

In the end, I found a discount broker who assisted me. Although, I think the final agent payout will be larger than the work performed, I'm comfortable appropriate advice was provided if it simply confirmed my own knowledge. The discount points will be applied towards closing costs and my agent retains the remainder.

I don't disagree that an agent is worthwhile to new homebuyer or existing construction scenario, new to area buyer, etc. The agency system is flawed in a way. In some ways discount brokers are frowned upon as if you're getting lesser service. As a consumer, its in my best interest to obtain the best service for a reasonable price. The current commission model doesn't generally afford that opportunity.

As an aside, what was difficult is finding a reputable agent. That was more difficult than settling on a home to purchase.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:12 PM

58 posts, read 97,647 times
I have seen many buyer's agent offering back 80% of their commission back to the buyer towards appliances, upgrades, closing costs etc. Typically in new constructions if the buyer does the complete homework and due diligence, it might make sense to go with these agents just to get the commission back rather than let the builder take the sizable amount of money. Assuming a 400k home, Buyer's agent gets 3% which is roughly $12000 and gives back 80%, $9600 to the buyer. I even heard an agent offering 90% back in commissions.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:37 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyms81 View Post
I have seen many buyer's agent offering back 80% of their commission back to the buyer towards appliances, upgrades, closing costs etc. Typically in new constructions if the buyer does the complete homework and due diligence, it might make sense to go with these agents just to get the commission back rather than let the builder take the sizable amount of money. Assuming a 400k home, Buyer's agent gets 3% which is roughly $12000 and gives back 80%, $9600 to the buyer. I even heard an agent offering 90% back in commissions.
But don't get upset if you cannot find an agent that is willing to give up their commission. I see many threads bemoaning this fact because it isn't common for agents to give up their commission. But people get really offended and even call them selfish for not willing to do it.

The norm is don't expect anything back.

Just shop around for a really good buyer agent that has years of experience and listens well to what you want and provides everything you need to find the best house for your budget/wants/needs. Take your time in selecting one and not jump at the first one that answers their phone.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:57 PM

Why would an agent be willing to give back any of their commission, much less most of it?

If they provide a service they deserve to get paid for the service provided.

As an agent I would never agree to that.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:42 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LItoCharlotte View Post
Why would an agent be willing to give back any of their commission, much less most of it?

If they provide a service they deserve to get paid for the service provided.

As an agent I would never agree to that.
There could be several reasons why an agent will take some commission off the table.

Some of them know there's a million agents out there and its very cutthroat.

Taking some profit off is better than no profit at all.

I don't disagree that people should get paid for a service, however if the home buyer is smart, commission can be a strong negotiating tool....

Realtors are no different than home buyers. They want the fattest commission, while home buyers want the best deal.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:54 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyms81 View Post
Is that even legal? Are realtors allowed to conduct business like that?

I'd bet not, and I'd be extremely wary of any realtor who is not following the rules that govern their industry.

It's much more difficult as a buyers agent (vs. a sellers agent). I know if you're a realtor you're looking for LISTINGS. Buyer's agents have to deal with a lot of crap. They earn that money in my opinion.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:59 AM

If a Realtor is not able to negotiate with you to get their full commission (that they earned) how are they going to be able to negotiate the best sale price for you?

Just saying....

Old 11-23-2014, 08:17 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LItoCharlotte View Post
If a Realtor is not able to negotiate with you to get their full commission (that they earned) how are they going to be able to negotiate the best sale price for you?

Just saying....
You should never let a real estate agent negotiate for you. They should be nothing more than a messenger between the buyer and seller. If you are a buyer then there is one rule that you have to follow in order to get the best deal. And that rule is that you have to be willing to walk away. Else the seller will be the one with the deal.

This is a decision the real estate agent can't make for you, and IMO will never suggest it. Because if you do walk, they don't get paid.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:32 AM

By negotiate for you - what I meant was if they area asking X and you offer Y - they need to be able to fight for your Y. Not roll over and say no, you have to pay X.

I am a Realtor in NY - and yes there have been times I have told buyers that a deal was not to be made on a certain house, and we had to move on to the next - so do not agree with your statement above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte