Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 01:55 PM

24 posts, read 127,145 times

Advertisements

I am moving out of New York City to buy a home in either Raleigh or Charlotte.
I would like to know where most New Yorkers move to and relate better to, Raleigh or Charlotte?
How are the people different in Raleigh and Charlotte?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 02:42 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseUSA View Post
I would like to know where most New Yorkers move to and relate better to, Raleigh or Charlotte?
Go with where you can find a job.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:46 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
You can be happy in both places, but Raleigh has always felt more northern to me

Old 11-23-2014, 06:49 PM

24 posts, read 127,145 times
Thanks for your help.

Do you live in Raleigh?
Are the people that much different?
North Carolina is North Carolina, right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
You can be happy in both places, but Raleigh has always felt more northern to me

Old 11-23-2014, 07:04 PM

25 posts, read 94,958 times
Quote:
I understand your indecisiveness but please tell us your situation. Either that or visit both cities and make a determination then.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:27 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Thanks for your help.

Do you live in Raleigh?
I don't quite get all your posts and what exactly are you looking for. It sounds like you want a mini New York with all your requests you have posted. We aren't New York, have zero desire to be like NY and nor will Charlotte or Raleigh ever turn into NY.

If you like NY, stay. If you want a change, visit both cities and see if it's what you are looking for. I have met people from NY all over the US. Florida, California, Texas as well as here. Instead of looking for other New Yorkers so desperately, visit the cities first, look at neighborhoods, houses etc. Decide if you like it and when you move here, you will probably meet others that came from the North.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:42 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Thanks for your help.

Do you live in Raleigh?
Albany is the same as NYC, right?

That being said, no I haven't found a whole lot of difference between Raleigh and Charlotte. They both have many transplants (from the Northeast as well as many other places) and are growing, but are still pretty suburban cities for the most part.

I'd guess there are more New Yorkers in Raleigh though since the drive is about 2 hours shorter.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:46 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times
Quote:
Thanks for your help.

Do you live in Raleigh?
That's like saying "New York is New York, right?" Is there a difference between living in New York vs. Buffalo?

Old 11-23-2014, 08:48 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I don't quite get all your posts and what exactly are you looking for. It sounds like you want a mini New York with all your requests you have posted. We aren't New York, have zero desire to be like NY and nor will Charlotte or Raleigh ever turn into NY.
This. There is nothing in Raleigh that is remotely like New York and I have no reason to believe that Charlotte is any different in that regard.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:13 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
If this sort of think is a priority to you, i.e. a place like NY, then I think you need to rethink moving to NC or the South in general. I don't think you will be happy in either Charlotte or Raleigh. Neither place is going to be like NY (not even close) and there is absolutely no interest in becoming like the NE.

My recommendation, is that if you are going to move somewhere new, then look forward, not backward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte