Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 06:14 AM

3 posts, read 5,893 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are in our late 40s and plan on moving to be near our son and grandsons. We are looking at Charlotte as a possible place to move. Right now we live in Irving, TX (a suburb of Dallas) and want something similar. We want to move to an established neighborhood with good sidewalks, friendly people and lots of trees. Ideally we want to have a larger lot (at least 1/3 to 1/2 acre) with a house big enough for family to visit and stay. One of us is a retired college professor and the other a school teacher who would like to get a job teaching art history in a good school district. Any help or comments would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 06:23 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,735,648 times
You were doing OK, until you got to school district. Then the wheels came off. Charlotte's school district (CMS) is extremely dysfunctional. Too big with too many constituent groups, changes in leadership. and 100's essentially on the dole at $100K per year. An EDUCRATS heaven, and educator's HELL!

There are nuggets of good and a couple of great schools, but to put up with the BS involved in CMS, well, you would have to want it really bad.

I suggest Chapel Hill/Hillsborough that area. You are minutes from Raleigh, which has about as much going on as Charlotte, without having to do battle with CMS.

EDIT: You can drop the "gay couple" bit. We really don't care in NC.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:03 AM

Thanks...our son and grandsons live in Clemson. We'd like to be as close as possible but still be in an area where there are things to do. My partner is only a few years away from retirement but he (and I) would like to stay active in education. I would like to be able to teach part-time at a college (preferably a community college) and I am am also a potter who would like to set up a studio somewhere. From every thing I have read about Charlotte it seems to be the best alternative to just staying in Texas. We plan to visit over Xmas.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:17 AM

847 posts, read 1,352,195 times
Teaching at a college is a different story altogether. There are quite a few community colleges in the area as well as the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. I don't think you would have any problem at all.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:21 AM

Which part of the city or surrounding towns should we be looking at? The idea of walking and/or biking to get around is very appealing but again we want to have a somewhat larger lot and house big enough for family. Welcoming neighbors is also a must!! Thanks.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:18 AM

140 posts, read 170,047 times
I think, to stay close to Charlotte but maybe be a touch closer to Clemson, I would research the communities right on the other side of the state line. Rock Hill, Tega Cay, Baxter, and the surrounding areas. There are multiple higher education institutes (University, community colleges), and you will be outside of CMS. Union county is also a good idea - I would research Marvin, Weddington, Waxhaw.

People generally tend to be very friendly and within Charlotte, you might find some lgbt networking and socializing.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:03 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,362,207 times
Going to add: watch where you wind up living in terms of gay friendly areas. Many of the areas outside of immediate Charlotte are much more conservative and also more close minded. Visit extensively before deciding.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:18 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,802,782 times
Have you looked at Greenville, SC?

Old 11-29-2014, 03:31 PM

847 posts, read 1,352,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anatomydoc View Post
Which part of the city or surrounding towns should we be looking at? The idea of walking and/or biking to get around is very appealing but again we want to have a somewhat larger lot and house big enough for family. Welcoming neighbors is also a must!! Thanks.

I doubt you will be able to find the size yard you want that will allow you to walk or bike to get around.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:40 PM

385 posts, read 730,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
Have you looked at Greenville, SC?
Was going to say the same thing.

Greenville SC is unique. I don't know that much about it, but every time I go there I'm definitely intrigued.

Cool little downtown. Little. But it has its own personality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte