Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2014, 01:07 PM

4 posts, read 3,785 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am looking at moving from home and am trying to get some honest opinions on places on my list. One of these places includes the Charlotte NC area.

I am 22 and a recent college graduate with a degree in Journalism and a minor in Marketing. I will be looking for a job in either of these fields along the lines of- Public Relations, Marketing, Advertising etc. I am wanting to work in the sports or entertainment industry such as music or promotions but am not limited to such and have experience in a variety of other areas.

I grew up in a military family so have lived all over the United States including Oregon, Alaska and NJ. Therefore I am open to new places and people and want to continue to live in new and exciting places.

As I said, I am 22 and single so I would want to live in an area that is ideal for young, single professionals.
I enjoy nightlife, the outdoors (hunting, fishing, hiking, etc) , working out, sports, country music, dining, shopping and experiencing new things.

Any help that can be provided as I try to make my final list of places to visit would be great!

*I have been to Charlotte briefly before when I looked at going to UNCC*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 01:22 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy1121 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am looking at moving from home and am trying to get some honest opinions on places on my list. One of these places includes the Charlotte NC area.

I am 22 and a recent college graduate with a degree in Journalism and a minor in Marketing. I will be looking for a job in either of these fields along the lines of- Public Relations, Marketing, Advertising etc. I am wanting to work in the sports or entertainment industry such as music or promotions but am not limited to such and have experience in a variety of other areas.

I grew up in a military family so have lived all over the United States including Oregon, Alaska and NJ. Therefore I am open to new places and people and want to continue to live in new and exciting places.

As I said, I am 22 and single so I would want to live in an area that is ideal for young, single professionals.
I enjoy nightlife, the outdoors (hunting, fishing, hiking, etc) , working out, sports, country music, dining, shopping and experiencing new things.

Any help that can be provided as I try to make my final list of places to visit would be great!

*I have been to Charlotte briefly before when I looked at going to UNCC*
Hi Missy, congrats on that new college degree!

Here's the thing...Charlotte is a very suburban, spread out city. Until you actually have a job somewhere it would be really hard to recommend where you should look to live.

However, there are areas where people your age cluster a bit more so you could at least familiarize yourself with those okay?

Look at neighborhoods like Southend, Plaza Midwood, Chantilly, Elizabeth and Madison Park.

Good luck with finding a job!

Old 11-30-2014, 03:17 PM

751 posts, read 935,487 times
As a 22 year old, you'll adapt anywhere...the most important thing is to find a job there and let fate take you to wherever in the country that jobs ends up being. In terms of the interests you mentioned, Charlotte might work out...but it's not what many would call a "party" city. If you like the outdoors...there's lots of places in the area to go and enjoy...but the club scene is not what other large cities would have.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:02 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,350,079 times
If you can get a job, I think Charlotte would fit your criteria. As has been mentioned, the job will be the tricky part. As far as sports media goes, may be worth looking into the Speedway, ESPN which has some jobs I believe mostly in relation to the SEC Network, and Fox Sports 1 (formerly the Speed Channel which has an office near UNCC).

Old 12-01-2014, 07:44 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,599,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
If you can get a job, I think Charlotte would fit your criteria. As has been mentioned, the job will be the tricky part. As far as sports media goes, may be worth looking into the Speedway, ESPN which has some jobs I believe mostly in relation to the SEC Network, and Fox Sports 1 (formerly the Speed Channel which has an office near UNCC).
ESPN also has a decent sized studio and procution for ESPNU in Ballantyne, alos the ACC Network is headquartered here. You could try looking into working for the Charlotte Knights (minor leaughe baseball) , Charlotte Hornets ( NBA), Charlotte Checkers(minor leauge hockey), or Carolina Panthers (NFL). As said above there is also Fox Sports 1 off Harris in the research park, the speedway, NASCAR hall of fame, SEC Network(uses ESPNU studio in Ballantyne), the race channel headquartered at the speedway, ZMax dragstrip, and there are some other otpions for outdoors/sporting options but knowing where the job is will most likely dictate where you want to live.

For music entertainment you have Time Warner Pavillion at NC Music Factory, lots of entertainment and music at that location, PNC Pavillion in University, Time Warner Cable arena, EpiCenter, maybe look at doing something with one of the larger banks Wells Fargo has the Atrium and Bank of America has the Plaza.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 1,816 times
Default Moving in June

I'm in a similar situation. I'll be moving to Charlotte in June. I am a single female and will be working in Center City. I'm curious how early I can start looking for a place with a June lease. When do those apartments come on line?

Old 12-01-2014, 06:11 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,827,472 times
Typically is 30-60 days before that people hand in their notice to vacate. So I would look in late April-May for a June 1st move in.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,816 times
Ok great. Thank you for your help.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:02 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,599,615 times
Also depending on your budget and if you want to be downtown there are condos that were just completed downtown and apartments in southend and there are 5-6 more rental buildings going up between downtown/uptown and southend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte