Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 08:47 AM

3 posts, read 5,829 times

Advertisements

Hi there! We are moving to Charlotte and are looking for some advice! What area, neighborhoods would best fit what we are looking for? Below are a few things and lifestyles important to us and facts about us. We have looked into Matthews, Mint Hill and Huntersville if you have any advice about these areas.

- Our household income 250k-300k
- home around 330k-350k
- No kids but for the future a good school dist.
- We have 2 dogs that we love walking in open space near beautiful parks, field and/or water
- We have an active life style and enjoy running outside
- Love trying new restaurants
- Mature, big wooded areas and beautiful trees in the neighborhood

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to feedback and guidance!

Last edited by Tifanyelaine1; 10-10-2014 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: More info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 08:52 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,208,219 times
Good luck.

Gonna be hard to get all your requirements at that price point... Add another 200k and it gets a *little* easier...

Old 10-10-2014, 08:58 AM

There aren't any neighborhoods or areas you suggest with home prices around 350k in all of the Charlotte metro market?

Old 10-10-2014, 09:26 AM

370 posts, read 545,533 times
I'd recommend South Charlotte. My wife and I live in Montclaire and love it. You can easily find a great house in your price range that feature established neighborhoods, most of the houses built in Montclaire, Madison Park, Closeburn-Glenkirk, Starclaire, ect were built in the 50's and 60's. They offer walkable neighborhoods, access to transit and easy connectivity to restaurants/night life in Southend, Southpark or Park Rd area. The elementary schools could be a little better but there has been a lot of positives occurring in the past 3-5 years and they are definitely on the upswing. We are both in our late 20's and love the area. I'd highly recommend it.

Oh, you also have easy access to the Little Sugar Creek Greenway and Park rd Park.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:54 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,753,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifanyelaine1 View Post
There aren't any neighborhoods or areas you suggest with home prices around 350k in all of the Charlotte metro market?
Where are the jobs? If you work in Concord you don't want to live in Waxhaw. If you work in Monroe you don't want to live in Dallas.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:55 AM

Job proximity is not a factor we are needing to consider.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:59 AM

363 posts, read 445,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosHogan View Post
I'd recommend South Charlotte. My wife and I live in Montclaire and love it. You can easily find a great house in your price range that feature established neighborhoods, most of the houses built in Montclaire, Madison Park, Closeburn-Glenkirk, Starclaire, ect were built in the 50's and 60's. They offer walkable neighborhoods, access to transit and easy connectivity to restaurants/night life in Southend, Southpark or Park Rd area. The elementary schools could be a little better but there has been a lot of positives occurring in the past 3-5 years and they are definitely on the upswing. We are both in our late 20's and love the area. I'd highly recommend it.

Oh, you also have easy access to the Little Sugar Creek Greenway and Park rd Park.
I agree with this recommendation.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:19 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,298,167 times
Actually I don't agree with the recommendations as they are not in good school areas and aren't particularly walkable. They have wide suburban streets which mostly lack sidewalks. I would not mind living there but I would plan on magnet schools in that case (many of which are great)
This budget is plenty for much of charlotte depending on the size house you are looking for. I think Matthews or other areas in south Charlotte like Beverly Woods and Olde Providence would be better. You may want to look at a map of Charlotte's greenway system - they are great for running and dog walking.
Park and Rec Greenways

Old 10-10-2014, 10:22 AM

11 posts, read 13,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifanyelaine1 View Post
Hi there! We are moving to Charlotte and are looking for some advice! What area, neighborhoods would best fit what we are looking for? Below are a few things and lifestyles important to us and facts about us. We have looked into Matthews, Mint Hill and Huntersville if you have any advice about these areas.

- Our household income 250k-300k
- home around 330k-350k
- No kids but for the future a good school dist.
- We have 2 dogs that we love walking in open space near beautiful parks, field and/or water
- We have an active life style and enjoy running outside
- Love trying new restaurants
- Mature, big wooded areas and beautiful trees in the neighborhood

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to feedback and guidance!
Huntersville near Birkdale. There are several neighborhoods around that area. Good schools, great areas to walk/run/bike, several restaurants and shopping options plus is right next to Blythe Landing for lake access.
We live in Breckenridge, an older neighborhood with mature trees. There's a couple houses for sale I think in the $280k range. It's a fun neighborhood, we get together frequently at each other's homes and there's a big Fall Festival every year. There's a wide range of ages from retirees to families with kids and some DINKs like me and my husband (Double Income No Kids).

Old 10-10-2014, 10:24 AM

370 posts, read 545,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
Actually I don't agree with the recommendations as they are not in good school areas and aren't particularly walkable. They have wide suburban streets which mostly lack sidewalks. I would not mind living there but I would plan on magnet schools in that case (many of which are great)
This budget is plenty for much of charlotte depending on the size house you are looking for. I think Matthews or other areas in south Charlotte like Beverly Woods and Olde Providence would be better. You may want to look at a map of Charlotte's greenway system - they are great for running and dog walking.
Park and Rec Greenways
As someone that uses a car very sparingly, I can tell you that the neighborhoods I've listed are very walkable. Sure, minor roads in the depths of the neighborhood don't offer sidewalks, but they also serve a car once every 20 minutes, so it isn't necessary. The roads that do service more consistent traffic offer sidewalks, including Seneca, Woodlawn, Archdale, Tyvola, Emerywood, ect. Seneca and Archdale also feature excellent bikelanes that take you from South Blvd all they way to Park Rd.

That said, I see the OP has edited to note they are looking at areas outside of the city proper, so the argument is negligible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte