Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 09:03 AM

6 posts, read 8,342 times

Advertisements

Greetings all. 14 VERY LONG years ago we moved to Seattle. After a couple of prior attempts we are strongly considering moving out of this hellhole to a part of the country that has real weather, actual sunshine, and where you don't have to scrape the moss off your roof every year. We're thinking North Carolina, possibly Virginia, but we're wondering if anyone else in the Charlotte area has made such a move in the past? Major move, major change, I know. If there is anyone, how did you do it? The one issue that may complicate is that we bought a house 2 years ago. We're considering renting it at first until we actually have relocated to a new location, but concerned about having renters in the house while we are across the country. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 03:40 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewMasterInSeattle View Post
Greetings all. 14 VERY LONG years ago we moved to Seattle. After a couple of prior attempts we are strongly considering moving out of this hellhole to a part of the country that has real weather, actual sunshine, and where you don't have to scrape the moss off your roof every year. We're thinking North Carolina, possibly Virginia, but we're wondering if anyone else in the Charlotte area has made such a move in the past? Major move, major change, I know. If there is anyone, how did you do it? The one issue that may complicate is that we bought a house 2 years ago. We're considering renting it at first until we actually have relocated to a new location, but concerned about having renters in the house while we are across the country. Any suggestions?
I know folks who love Seattle, but no one place is right for every person.

That being said, you need to either get your house on the market asap or find a good property management firm to take care of it for you. Being a long distance landlord is fraught with difficulties and I don't recommend it.

Next, you need to identify areas with jobs in your career fields. It won't do you any good to fall in love with a city like Charlotte if there are no jobs here for you to come to.

Once you have a better idea on that then you can zero in on where to move to.

Here is your to do list in order of importance:

Get house listed

Locate job market

Secure jobs

Call a national moving van company

Sell off big furnishings to make move more affordable

Old 12-03-2014, 07:39 AM

444 posts, read 582,439 times
i made the move and it takes some culture adjustment...weather is great though...foggy right now but in the 60's later w/ sun.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:53 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,993,530 times
I see you are a Brewmaster, so if you do move here check out the Carolina Brewmasters homebrew group. It's a great way to meet people that have some of the same interests as you. Quite a few of our club members have gone on to get professional jobs with the local breweries. PM me if you have more questions.
I don't know much about the VA scene, but I do know Stone is building an East coast brewery near Richmond.

www.carolinabrewmasters.com

I rented my house out in MI for the first 4 years I moved here and hated it. Every time there was a minor repair I had to hire someone to do it, even though it was something I could easily fix myself. Unless you have a handy friend or relative you can have take care of things for you, I would never be a long distance landlord.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:25 AM

444 posts, read 582,439 times
Default agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
I see you are a Brewmaster, so if you do move here check out the Carolina Brewmasters homebrew group. It's a great way to meet people that have some of the same interests as you. Quite a few of our club members have gone on to get professional jobs with the local breweries. PM me if you have more questions.
I don't know much about the VA scene, but I do know Stone is building an East coast brewery near Richmond.

www.carolinabrewmasters.com

I rented my house out in MI for the first 4 years I moved here and hated it. Every time there was a minor repair I had to hire someone to do it, even though it was something I could easily fix myself. Unless you have a handy friend or relative you can have take care of things for you, I would never be a long distance landlord.
I rent my house in MA as well and it is a total headache...ugh

Old 12-04-2014, 01:13 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,548,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewMasterInSeattle View Post
My brother lives in Seattle and loves it. I visited this past summer for the first time and thought it was nice (friendly people, amazing seafood especially the salmon flown in from alaska, and very very great outdoors stuff to do). So I sort of chuckled at the deport word in your title.

As I understand it I thought the housing market was fairly decent in Seattle and home prices have risen - would it be that tough to sell your home?

Old 01-22-2015, 02:35 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,411,487 times
If you visit Seattle in summer of course you will like it. The problem with Seattle is home prices are moving up very quickly, rents are moving up very quickly and traffic is absolutely horrible. And 9 mos of the year it is largely overcast and chilly. If you come here in July and Aug for a week you would not get the real feel of Seattle, July & Aug are sunny and warm. Come here in Dec and Jan and hang out.

Seattle is still a really great city and great place to be (Cascade Mnts, Puget Sound, lakes, Pac NW culture, tons of walkable neighborhoods, tech jobs). But it's not the "under the radar" place it was 20 yrs ago. Housing is getting really expensive and traffic is terrible. I can see why people are looking at places like North Carolina to relocate to.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:46 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,170,894 times
Aside from the potential headache of having someone else living in your home while you are across the country (remember, nobody will take care of your house the way you do), one other thing about renting your house out is that if there is a mortgage on it lenders will include that payment when calculating your ratios to determine your ability to purchase in a new location. I am not sure if the rules have changed, but at least recently you could not include that rental payment to you as income unless it had been rented for a certain amount of time. So that could potentially limit you to renting yourself in a new location, which of course, is not necessarily a bad thing.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:27 PM

249 posts, read 458,600 times
You and I are opposite. I just moved out to Seattle area last September.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:40 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,466,964 times
Interesting post....I've only been to Seattle once and that was for 4 days a couple of years ago in January. The weather was actually quite nice, even the locals said we got lucky, but man I loved that city. It's still literally the only place I've visited for work or leisure where I could see myself moving from NC for. All the other places in the north, south, central or west I've always been happy to be back home and couldn't see myself living there, Seattle remains the only exception so far! Good luck with your hunt and "deportation" though, NC is great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: