Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 08:25 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,244,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Keep your eyes open for news on an individual named Dr. Peter Gorman. Used to be school superintendent in Orange County, California (where I moved from) and has everyone veeeery nervous about what he intends to do with the schools here. He's fired teachers, made some pretty bold statements, pissed off pretty much everyone, and just got a bond passed through for a few hundred million. I can't tell if he's beloved or hated, but I will say he's got a lot of guts. I get the feeling schools here will be a lot better in two years. If they aren't, we're going to dump this house and move to Tega Cay.
For the record, he's from Orange County, Florida AND Orange COunty, California. Pretty funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 01:58 PM

672 posts, read 1,830,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
Are there any?
Are they like a Lottery system to be accepted into them?
Are they in SAFE areas?
Does anyone know where they are, or have a link?
Thanks.
There are many magnet schools throughout CMS. The main problem is that many of them are in bad areas which is why they have to recruit. Many offer auditions and interviews. You would really have to do your research. Another school option making a big dayview in our area is the university-model schools. Here is a link to one in our area : Grace Academy
I have been considering this option myself as I am unhappy with CMS thus far.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:10 PM

672 posts, read 1,830,979 times
[quote=schuylercat;2417797]The low cost of housing, low tax rates, decent weather and beauty of Charlotte is offset by one thing: the schools here suck. Suck suck suck. MAN do they suck.

Well, not as bad as Mississippi, but you get my point.

Magnets here DO have a lottery (you're too late for 2008, by the way, but so were we and we got in anyway), and the schools get very high marks. My daughter attends a language academy, and it's a lovely, place...located in a terrifying section of town. Mixed bag, that.

Keep your eyes open for news on an individual named Dr. Peter Gorman. Used to be school superintendent in Orange County, California (where I moved from) and has everyone veeeery nervous about what he intends to do with the schools here. He's fired teachers, made some pretty bold statements, pissed off pretty much everyone, and just got a bond passed through for a few hundred million. I can't tell if he's beloved or hated, but I will say he's got a lot of guts. I get the feeling schools here will be a lot better in two years. If they aren't, we're going to dump this house and move to Tega Cay.[\quote]

I understand some of your points completely. I can only relay my experiences but I am told that not all schools in CMS suck. However, everyone has to admit the overall overcrowding issue. Sure it is this darn population that keeps multiplying before CMS can get a grip. I came from a town that handled growth much differently so seeing this unfold was surprising.

I have a child at an elementary school in the Steele Creek Area. The second grade class is being taught in a trailer with 29 students. Actually Dr. Gormon has been in a lot of heat b/c of a air condition leak in the trailer that lead to a serious mold cover up issue. So bottom line, do your research and do not rule out private schools if you can afford it. The ratio is lower and the quality of education is higher.

Good luck!

Old 06-23-2010, 10:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,296 times
CMS sucks but it's not because of the teachers. It's bloated with ineffectual middle management, beginning with lazy incompetent assistant principals. The peter principle eventually hikes them upstairs to being full principals as their skill set expands to hiding in their offices and not doing a damn thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: