Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 02:36 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,371,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Walmarts are better down here? Decent customer service? Yeah no. I will stick with HT, TJ and Aldi.
Agree with the customer service comment but one shouldn't be shopping at Walmart to get good customer service.

However most of the relatively newer Walmarts are pretty clean and their overall selection is decent IMO. Can be some out of stock issues but HT is often even worse for that particularly on sale items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 04:14 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,851,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Agree with the customer service comment but one shouldn't be shopping at Walmart to get good customer service.

However most of the relatively newer Walmarts are pretty clean and their overall selection is decent IMO. Can be some out of stock issues but HT is often even worse for that particularly on sale items.
Beauty of the out of stock sales items, HT will give you a similar or larger size for the same price. Walmart produce tend to be overripe or they don't have the kind I like. I actually prefer grand Asia or super g for fresh produce.

I just really really really don't like walmart, lol I am glad that it works out for you guys though.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:05 AM

107 posts, read 221,692 times
I live near a Publix now and will drive to locate one upon my arrival in CLT. My personal preference in selection and value.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:48 PM

38 posts, read 129,563 times
How does Harris Teeter compare to Kroger? I know they're owned by the same company, but I figured there's some differences. We have Publix here (Nashville) and it's nice, but I feel like their prices are a little higher than Kroger's.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:23 AM

625 posts, read 491,853 times
I've found Publix's prices to be higher than HT.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:21 PM

6,171 posts, read 4,643,967 times
I started a thread about various grocery store options in the Triad, but much of what was included there also applies to Charlotte, since many of the same stores (including Harris Teeter, Fresh Market, and Food Lion) are in both areas. See the link below:

//www.city-data.com/forum/green...y-reviews.html

Old 12-15-2014, 07:18 PM

129 posts, read 201,694 times
Went to HT today and I am in love.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:33 PM

129 posts, read 201,694 times
Did a full shop at HT yesterday and was happy overall but disappointed in their small selection of fresh meat and chicken.

Will need to look further for that...

Old 12-17-2014, 07:02 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,851,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LItoCharlotte View Post
Did a full shop at HT yesterday and was happy overall but disappointed in their small selection of fresh meat and chicken.

Will need to look further for that...
There are butchers all over. What are you looking for? I know for me is hard for me to find the meats I was used to when I moved here.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:52 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,382,720 times
Food Lion's slogan decades ago used to be LFPINC: Lowest Food Prices In North Carolina. As a chain it originated in Salisbury, NC and reflected that small town bargain shopper flavor. In the mid 70s it was bought by the Delhaize group out of Belgium. They also own Hannaford. Most Food Lions still have a bargain-shopper feel, but there are some newer stores that rival Harris Teeter in upscale feel. There's one I go to at the beach that's just really very nice.

Harris Teeter was just recently bought by Kroger in 2013. It originated in Matthews so is very much the hometown grocer for Charlotte. As far as I can recall it's always been the highest end of the NC grocery stores. It's not _that_ much nicer than the other stores, but is just a step above, and maybe not the bargain that Food Lion is.

Fresh Market is a gourmet grocer. It's smaller than Food Lion or Harris Teeter both in number of stores and in the average size of the stores. I got a really good bone-in ham there one Christmas, but I don't usually shop there. I'd rather go to Whole Foods for that sort of gourmet thing.

I'm not a Wal-Mart shopper, but I have shopped for groceries at a Super Target occasionally. It's pretty okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte