Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2008, 08:42 AM

123 posts, read 303,718 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Charlotte in about less than month's time, very short notice! We are initally looking for an apartment to rent. Here are my requirements:
1. Safe area
2. Good elementary school, as my son will be starting Kindergarten this year and I want to give him a good impression of public schools.
3. Easy commute to Uptown, where my husband will be working.
4. Not much interested in giving importance to dining, arts, entertainment etc.

Can somebody recommend a good are for me?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 10:33 AM

379 posts, read 645,436 times
A good commute in Charlotte depends on your personal view of traffic. With your requirements he could be looking at 30-45 min each way. How much are you wanting to spend per month on an apartment? That will eliminate a lot.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:25 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,555,926 times
I would suggest Huntersville. About 15 miles north of Uptown Charlotte. Maybe 30 minute commute in traffic give or take a few minutes. There are brand new apartments at I-77 and exit #23. Also several fairly new apartments at Exit #25 (nightmare area for traffic though). Exit #23 is better (traffic) and closer into Charlotte.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:50 AM

123 posts, read 303,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgi View Post
A good commute in Charlotte depends on your personal view of traffic. With your requirements he could be looking at 30-45 min each way. How much are you wanting to spend per month on an apartment? That will eliminate a lot.
I can go upto $1000/month for the rent, but I would prefer in a managed community, dont want the hassle of dealing with individual landlord. Commute time can be around 30 - 45 mins. I was thinking of Matthews as the schools are good there, but reviews at apartmentratings.com tells me that there are lot of theft going on there.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:05 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,555,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpreets View Post
I can go upto $1000/month for the rent, but I would prefer in a managed community, dont want the hassle of dealing with individual landlord. Commute time can be around 30 - 45 mins. I was thinking of Matthews as the schools are good there, but reviews at apartmentratings.com tells me that there are lot of theft going on there.
One word, HUNTERSVILLE!

GOOD LUCK!

Old 01-08-2008, 03:16 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,170,476 times
I think southeast Charlotte would also work for you.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:40 PM

672 posts, read 1,831,759 times
[quote=akpreets;2441789]We will be moving to Charlotte in about less than month's time, very short notice! We are initally looking for an apartment to rent. Here are my requirements:
1. Safe area
2. Good elementary school, as my son will be starting Kindergarten this year and I want to give him a good impression of public schools.
3. Easy commute to Uptown, where my husband will be working.
4. Not much interested in giving importance to dining, arts, entertainment etc.

Can somebody recommend a good are for me?

Thanks in advance.[/quote

I agree, Huntersville and Cornelius are areas to look at. I would avoid having a Charlotte mailing address especially one in an apartment. It is very hard to find an apartment in Charlotte that is not crime ridden. Also, a good elementary school would be harder to find in the Charlotte area...CMS is very overcrowded and has it's own issues. I would definitely look outside of Charlotte but avoid the Steele Creek area (southwest Charlotte.) I have heard that there is alot of traffic on the Northern side of Charlotte and so on but hear that crime is seldom there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte