Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 07:22 AM

335 posts, read 427,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshy2022 View Post
Hello everyone happy holidays, so one of my goals for 2023 is to head out of Texas and go back to the east coast - I am a NYC/Bostonian originally trying to stay down south to avoid the long winters and big snows. I am 56 in the health care field and I work from home which I love. Just me and my pup. I am looking for a decent area, I am Puerto Rican so a mix of people would be nice, huge on diversity, kindess, and watching out for each other on the block. Sp can anyway give me the Pros and the Cons of living in Charlotte, and what neighborhoods (Diverse) would you recommend ? I also don't drive (have license but too many nuts on the road) so being close to the light rail would be awesome. Also I can do a studio or small 1 bedroom for about 1100, Is that doable ??? Any feedback would be 100% appreciated, and Thank you ! Anthony

Hmmmm...pros of Charlotte...all personal opinion, obviously, but I like that it offers me just about anything I could really ever want from a city without feeling like I live in a big city...I mean, professional sports, music and event venues, melting pot of cultures/diversity, generally warm weather while still maintaining all the seasons, mix of southern hospitality with a little bit of city hustle and bustle, two hours to the mountains for sight seeing or skiing, three hours to the beach, international airport right here, lots of shopping scattered throughout the city (feels like a large sprawling suburb in many areas of the city) all while still being reasonably affordable for a city that's experienced the growth we have in the last fifteen years.

Diverse neighborhoods I'd personally say NoDa, Plaza Midwood, Wesley Heights, Seversville, South End, Prosperity Church Rd area...all of those areas are diverse and active...but not affordable for the most part.

With a budget of $1100 and no car, you are going to have to give up some expectations...especially direct proximity to the light rail in a fun area...you may be able to get into uptown proper (there are a couple places I've seen online under your max budget inside the 277 loop) which would get you near the light rail and street car hubs...otherwise you're looking down near the intersection of Tyvola and South Blvd before you see anything close to the light rail under budget. Personal opinion, if you're moving here and really do NOT want to drive, I'd recommend trying to find something IN uptown. Our city is just not as easy to traverse as many other large cities when it comes to public transport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2022, 11:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,190 times
Hi all!

Looking to make the jump from Buffalo, NY area to Charlotte (seems to be a common destination amongst Buffalo folks!) in the very near future. I have a couple friends down in the Charlotte area, and plan to visit within the next month or so.

Am currently employed by a large bank - salary estimates I’ve seen online for Charlotte put me around $115Kish for the same position at a similarly-sized bank. I am a single, early 30s male looking for a large 1BR (ideally around 800-1,000 square feet) for me and my Golden Retriever. Any recommendations on neighborhoods ideal for meeting folks? Would prefer to be in the center of it all, if possible, with a $2,000-$2,500/mo. budget.

If I should post this elsewhere, please let me know! Thanks!

Old 12-31-2022, 05:11 AM

335 posts, read 427,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYGuy90 View Post
Hi all!

Looking to make the jump from Buffalo, NY area to Charlotte (seems to be a common destination amongst Buffalo folks!) in the very near future. I have a couple friends down in the Charlotte area, and plan to visit within the next month or so.

Am currently employed by a large bank - salary estimates I’ve seen online for Charlotte put me around $115Kish for the same position at a similarly-sized bank. I am a single, early 30s male looking for a large 1BR (ideally around 800-1,000 square feet) for me and my Golden Retriever. Any recommendations on neighborhoods ideal for meeting folks? Would prefer to be in the center of it all, if possible, with a $2,000-$2,500/mo. budget.

If I should post this elsewhere, please let me know! Thanks!
Depending on what your particular interests and desired styles are, I’d say South End, South Park, Dilworth, Plaza Midwood or NoDa.
South End is probably the most popular with bars, breweries, new restaurants, younger (fratty IMO) crowd. Has that shiny new feel to it.
Uptown offers wonderful convenience if you work there, there’s a decent selection of food and bars, I’ve heard it is becoming a little more active in the evenings and night than it used to be when I lived uptown (I thought it was a bit sleepy after 8 pm considering it was center city).
Dilworth is adjacent and accessible to uptown, South End, South Park, Montfort, so it has a lot going for it within a very short drive and is more mature and settled than South End, more family oriented.
South Park has tons of shopping and restaurants, not a huge bar scene or brewery scene but plenty of places to drink and meet people…more of a corporate feel and business park feel than the other areas mentioned.
If you like a more alternative scene or artsy vibe, Plaza Midwood and NoDa have plenty of good bars, a few brewery options, great restaurants, easy access to uptown, and a variety of age groups that overall trend in your age range.

Old 03-18-2024, 02:55 PM

12 posts, read 7,717 times
Hi everyone! My spouse and I are early 40s with no kids, relocating from central Florida to the Charlotte area and are looking for recommendations for housing. I work remote and my spouse is going to take a little time off and may do hourly stuff to avoid boredom while she figures out "what's next". We are looking to be within 15-20 minutes of the Aveda school there. We have two dogs. One is 45 pounds and gentle but anxious. The other is 55 pounds and is a "restricted breed". We don't really have issues with her, but she doesn't like other animals so we'd ideally like to rent a single-family home - a place with a yard and with few pets nearby. From online searching, homes are far and few between. My spouse is vegan (I am not) so a mix of restaurants and bars would be nice, or ones that provide vegan options for her. Our budget is around $2250/mo. Thank you in advance.

Old 03-18-2024, 03:46 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
The Aveda School is in or near Dilworth which is quite an expensive area. I suggest you look further south, such a Pineville. Your price for a rental sounds reasonable, but it may be hard to find a fenced yard. I found ones in Pineville and Belmont, using the keyword "fence" in the computer version of Zillow:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2.../6309113_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...45647146_zpid/

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-18-2024 at 04:02 PM..

Old 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The Aveda School is in or near Dilworth which is quite an expensive area. I suggest you look further south, such a Pineville. Your price for a rental sounds reasonable, but it may be hard to find a fenced yard. I found ones in Pineville and Belmont, using the keyword "fence" in the computer version of Zillow:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2.../6309113_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...45647146_zpid/

Great, thanks! I went to school in Rock Hill a long time ago and Pineville was pretty new. As such it was also mostly safe. How's it these days? It looks like there are some nice outdoor spaces near Belmont, but what is it's safety like?

Old 03-20-2024, 01:34 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torinn View Post
Great, thanks! I went to school in Rock Hill a long time ago and Pineville was pretty new. As such it was also mostly safe. How's it these days? It looks like there are some nice outdoor spaces near Belmont, but what is it's safety like?
I would use objective sources like SpotCrime. The Belmont address has a couple of thefts and some assaults 3 months ago. The Pineville address is not close to any reported crime.

Old 03-20-2024, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I would use objective sources like SpotCrime. The Belmont address has a couple of thefts and some assaults 3 months ago. The Pineville address is not close to any reported crime.

Looking at the SpotCrime site, I'm surprised I'm not seeing more things. That is good news, but I hope that resource is accurate.

Old 03-20-2024, 12:08 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
I'd also check out Providence / Waverly area, Matthews, and Stallings.

Old 04-15-2024, 05:28 PM

2 posts, read 74 times
we moved from Miami to Mooresville, we rented a Penske truck for less then half of a pod and it was much larger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte