Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 10:53 AM

26 posts, read 54,023 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be visiting Charlotte for the first time at the end of April. It has been our top choice as a place to relocate to for years, so we're visiting to explore the area and get a feel for it. If we love it, we may begin applying for jobs there as early as December.

We are highly interested in the towns of Matthews and Huntersville, and plan on exploring both areas while we're there. I wanted to reach out to the forum to see if anyone can recommend any hotels we can look into, preferably within 10 miles or so of those towns? I realize they're at opposite ends of the city and we'll have to drive from one area to the other, but we are basically looking for hotels either near Matthews or near Huntersville. We'd like to stay in a decent, safe area, and if possible, pay less than $150 per night. It will be my husband, myself, and our two daughters (ages 8 and 4).

In addition, for those who have relocated to the Charlotte area before, are there any places you would recommend that we explore while we're there?

Thank you for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 11:15 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,407,119 times
If you are dead set on either Matthews or Huntersville, I think that will most likely put you off exit 25 (maybe 23) of I-77 or somewhere on 74. While Matthews is a good area overall, 74 isn't the prettiest part of it so I think most would recommend Huntersville.

I actually stayed at the Holiday Inn Express before moving here and thought it worked out pretty good. There's some big box stores/restaurants right across the street as well as Birkdale Village nearby. The Residence Inn would probably put you walking distance to Birkdale Village and isn't right on top of the interstate like some of the others are.

But if you are not dead set on either Matthews or Huntersville, and particularly if you are coming over the weekend when hotel rates would be lower, uptown would be a good midpoint and give you the option of exploring "the city" a little easier. Even the full-service Marriott looks like it's only $129 the last weekend in April (although parking would be $18-24).

Old 02-27-2015, 11:47 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,024,705 times
I've had relatives stay at the Hampton Inn in Matthews. There are a few chain restaurants you can walk to from that hotel.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:19 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,202,803 times
The Center City Marriott is starting major renovations in April 2015. YMMV

Old 02-27-2015, 04:39 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,593,194 times
If I was you I would do what go phils said. stay in uptown. 15-20 min to both locations on the weekend. you can you use priceline name your own price for either 3.5-4 star hotel for well under 150 bucks a night. the nicest you will get in either huntersville or matthews is the hampton inn

Old 02-27-2015, 08:19 PM

170 posts, read 277,012 times
I've been going to the Huntersville area quite a bit over the past 2 months. I've been using Priceline and doing the "name your own price" and have the system down pretty good. I bid a 2.5 star hotel in the Huntersville area and always gives me the Best Western Plus hotel for about $60 per night including tax. It's a comfortable and clean hotel with free continental breakfast and free internet. It does the trick for me but you're not guaranteed 2 beds...it's whatever they give you.

If you go on Hotwire you can specify up to 4 adults so they have to give you 2 queen beds when you check-in. I was looking at their site and it looks like if you select the 2.5 star option in Huntersville you'll end up getting the Comfort Suites for about $65-$70 per night including tax. Full price is about $130 per night but Hotwire gives you a pretty good discount up front...they just don't tell you the hotel name until AFTER you buy the room.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:53 PM

26 posts, read 54,023 times
Thank you everyone! I will look into your suggestions. I look forward to visiting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte