Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 08:10 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times

Advertisements

Age is irrelevant here. A bullet from a child is just as lethal as one from an adult. This person chose to illegally carry a gun. This person refused to drop his weapon when ordered to do so. This person will continue to pay for that decision for the rest of his life because he won't be the same as before.

Could a better upbringing have made a difference? Sure. What we don't know is whether he had a good upbringing, mom working w jobs to provide, etc. Lots of assumptions here. No matter, the guy bought into the gang culture and most now face the reality that it isn't all that great.

Mutiny, I don't know why the officer would get a medal. As screwed up as CMPD can be, you just never know.

Tread, I don't see anyone here celebrating anyone's death. I don't recall seeing that in any thread on C-D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 08:13 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,061 times
The parents of this boy should answer why they allow their son to be on the street at 8:30 at night with a gun.
Kids at 14 do not make the best decisions, and it is sad that a policeman is put in situation that he has to shoot.

I have seen on TV, communities out in numbers in Charlotte saying the killing has to stop. So I do not think most people in Charlotte would support this type child rising.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:30 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
No you must not be able to comprehend. I'm saying he is a foolish kid. He did a foolish action, but he is still a kid. I'm sick of people being happy that another person gets killed. It does nothing to solve the problem.

The lack of compassion for other people is sickening. These same people who cheer, a thugs death, are some of the first people to chime in, on a church thread, when someone new is looking for a church. I question what is being preached in these churches for folks to hate such hate in their hearts.

If you call that defending behavior than so be it.
A foolish kid? This is not foolish kid behavior it is criminal and goes well beyond that scope. I do not have hate in my heart, but view this from a common sense perspective. This kid was going to kill someone popping off shots previously with the gun before encountering the cop. Now the threat is neutralized and he will likely be going to jail.

It is not really something you feel sorry for. As a parent you must teach your children right from wrong and obviously something was way off with this kid.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:42 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,583,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
A foolish kid? This is not foolish kid behavior it is criminal and goes well beyond that scope. I do not have hate in my heart, but view this from a common sense perspective. This kid was going to kill someone popping off shots previously with the gun before encountering the cop. Now the threat is neutralized and he will likely be going to jail.

It is not really something you feel sorry for. As a parent you must teach your children right from wrong and obviously something was way off with this kid.
It's something I feel sorry for. a 14 year old kid out late at night with a gun doing all sorts of things. That's sad my heart breaks for kid and others like him. They weren't raised right. You can bet he doesn't have any strong parental figure in his life. they didn't ask to be brought into this world, and when things like this happen we as a society go yea punk got what he deserved. That's wrong on so levels, and the cycle continues. When someone speaks out against the cycle they are shouted down.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:02 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosHogan View Post
Your post is factually inaccurate to the point that I'm annoyed I have to post a rebuttal. But our crime rates are at historically low rates, across the board. Simply doing basic research will show you this:..... Turn Fox News off and go outside.
15 people have already been killed in Charlotte this year. Those are the statistics that matter.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:38 AM

370 posts, read 543,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
15 people have already been killed in Charlotte this year. Those are the statistics that matter.
I'm not sure what your point is. The post I was initially referring to cited:

"We are quickly getting up there on the exact same crime levels that I left in 1986. Nightly murders, home invasions at least weekly, and last week multiple scene/multiple murders all related to 'drugs until proven otherwise', gang killings of City Govt officials, women held as sexual slaves...WAKE UP, people! "

These statements are flat out false. Here:

"Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police investigated 42 homicides in 2014, the lowest number since police began keeping track of uniform crime statistics in 1977.

Police and prosecutors say the drop is because of an increased focus on arresting and prosecuting the city’s most violent offenders. But criminologists say the United States and most of the rest of the world have seen killings decline in the last decade.

Detroit and Chicago are on pace to record their lowest homicide totals since the 1960s. Earlier this month, police in Birmingham, Ala., said homicides were down 25 percent

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/crime/article9251582.html#storylink=cpy"

It's unfortunate that we've started out the first quarter of this year with 15, hopefully it's a trend that doesn't continue. 5 of those came in an 8 day span right after New Years. But regardless of what is being yelled about on the nightly news, crime is on the decline.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:53 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Quote:
It's something I feel sorry for. a 14 year old kid out late at night with a gun doing all sorts of things. That's sad my heart breaks for kid and others like him. They weren't raised right. You can bet he doesn't have any strong parental figure in his life. they didn't ask to be brought into this world, and when things like this happen we as a society go yea punk got what he deserved. That's wrong on so levels, and the cycle continues. When someone speaks out against the cycle they are shouted down.
You aren't speaking out against the cycle, you are actually critical of those providing discipline for such young men.

From what I have read it appears that you think we should just handle law breakers and thugs with kid gloves and hugs. Next time you see someone committing a crime etc, see how a hug works for stopping that.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:07 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,320 times
Quote:
Tread....thug has weapon in hand, regardless of race or age, and gets shot by cop for not dropping it when told to do so - It's the Damn cycle? Boy Wonder with a gun, knows right from wrong. He chooses wrong. That Damn cycle!!! Parents know right from wrong, they chose to enable wrongful behavior - Damn cycle. You think the government should raise kids to be on the right path, but fail to do so - damn vicious cycle. BTW- nobody was asked to be brought into this world. I don't remember asking Jesus if I can be born onto Earth, do you? This is the USA for God sake, these punks have had the same opportunities as all of us to become good people, but choose to be something else. When do you stop the Blame game?

Old 03-09-2015, 11:10 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
I think you are missing the point. Most of us on here angry with the OP aren't frustrated with the circumstances of the actual encounter. By all accounts, it appears the officer was in the right and I (I won't speak for others) am happy that no one else got hurt.

The issue is that this is a tragedy....across the board. This isn't a time to "cheer" a bad guy off the street. 14 is a child, I don't care what he is up to. Even at the most basic biological level, a 14 year old has not physically developed the critical thinking capability of an adult. And while I absolutely agree that a 14 year old knows right from wrong, the commentary here should not be "this kid was stupid and deserved to be shot", it should be "what kind of environment has this child been raised in that puts him in this position, and what are we doing to prevent it in the future".

No one should find comfort in an officer having to shoot a child. Gun or not.
Can't rep you but agreed. I'm just glad no one was killed in this encounter.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:15 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
These statements are flat out false.....
You haven't proved this. There are huge areas within the USA where there is absolutely NO violent crime, even here in the Charlotte area. Yet your statistics don't take this into account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte