Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 12:05 PM

370 posts, read 543,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You haven't proved this. There are huge areas within the USA where there is absolutely NO violent crime, even here in the Charlotte area. Yet your statistics don't take this into account.

I'll address the issues with your brief comment:

1. The data sets are the same in the first table I cited for Charlotte crime rates from 2000 - 2012. They only pull from the city of Charlotte....for 12 straight years. So you are either suggesting that the data is inaccurate because it ignores the most violent parts of the city in order to skew the figures or you didn't understand how to read the table.

2. I'll re-post this part of the quote from my most recent post and I'd like you to re-read it.

"Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police investigated 42 homicides in 2014, the LOWEST number since police began keeping track of uniform crime statistics in 1977." - emphasis is my own

"Detroit and Chicago are on pace to record their lowest homicide totals since the 1960s. Earlier this month, police in Birmingham, Ala., said homicides were down 25 percent"

Notice how those are all cities? Notice how it doesn't say "Detroit saw an uptick in crime during this period but was balanced out by "absolutely NO violent crime in huge areas within the USA"?

The crime in Charlotte, and in virtually every city across the country, has steadily dropped over the past decade (even farther back if you care to actually reference the data). If you want to continue believing otherwise that's fine. I'm sure the earth is flat and sun revolves around us too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 02:01 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
  1. If murders continue at the rate they did in January/February, then there will be ~90 murders in Charlotte for 2015. This will be a 100% increase over 2014 using your own numbers.
  2. Detroit, Chicago and Birmingham are irrelevant to this topic.
  3. You continue to interchange "violent crime" and homicides (a subset) throughout your analysis.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:12 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosHogan View Post
We should be lamenting the fact that child is in a position where he or she is out late at night with a weapon as opposed to cheering the fact that an officer was forced to open fire on them. A 14 year old out on N Tryon at 9pm with a gun is obviously being raised in a toxic environment. But hey, let's give the officer a gold medal instead. Your joy is disgusting and frankly disturbing.
I dunno, maybe he should have shot the parents too and ended the "Toxic" environment? Instead, you probably want to form a committee. Study the reasons why he was out. Start a program for the young kid old enough to know he shouldn't be doing this and yet compelling reason to continue to protect himself from himself/Darwin, invite the media, begin to protest with hands up, don't shoot rhetoric in a desperate attempt to bring the decedent back and make him a "folk hero" for demonstrating such wise, and innocent behavior.

Demand a $1,000,000 grant to "study the problem" to which $999,999,999 will got staff for salaries and the rest to real estate and a Cadillac with magnetic stickers.

Yeah, that will help. I can see if we study the e-thuggery around North Tryon that eventually the problems will change. I mean, after all, these programs have been soooooo effective for NYC, Philly, Chicago, Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles so sure, I'm sure they can work in Charlotte....

Probably the same logic that helps to form the next local chapter of Drunk Drivers Against Mad Mothers (DDAMM)....sure, go ahead....it's the cops fault, right?

Buy him an extra mag and a few more boxes of ammo. The results will never be quicker and the cost never less.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:22 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,516,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Tread....thug has weapon in hand, regardless of race or age, and gets shot by cop for not dropping it when told to do so - It's the Damn cycle? Boy Wonder with a gun, knows right from wrong. He chooses wrong. That Damn cycle!!! Parents know right from wrong, they chose to enable wrongful behavior - Damn cycle. You think the government should raise kids to be on the right path, but fail to do so - damn vicious cycle. BTW- nobody was asked to be brought into this world. I don't remember asking Jesus if I can be born onto Earth, do you? This is the USA for God sake, these punks have had the same opportunities as all of us to become good people, but choose to be something else. When do you stop the Blame game?
Honestly, that is one of the most ignorant statements I've ever heard in my life. How can you say with a straight face that a 14-15 year old child, I will assume growing up in an inner-city area has had the same opportunities as everyone else.

I grew up in a very similar area. Believe me the world looks a lot different on the other side of the tracks. Once again I'm not defending the boys actions,in any way. But you really have no idea what you are talking about. You speak as you have any idea or understanding of what "the cycle" really means. Going by the statements you are making,it's clear you don't.

I'll give you a couple of examples of what contributes to the cycle of crime and poverty. Question,have you ever been walking home from school and stopped by the police? Asked what are you doing in this neighborhood? At the age of 12. Doing nothing wrong at all,just walking home? How many times have the police pointed a gun at you,by mistake? How many times have you seen a person shot? I can honestly say unfortunately all of this has happened to me,and more. You I'll take a wild guess and say,you've never had these or similar experiences. Point being you can't make blanket statements about everyone circumstances.

Also not to mention I'd imagine you had at least one parent who gave a crap. Judging by you conservative pie in the sky comments two. Oh another question. How many times have you went to bed hungry at night,as a child. Living in the projects with roaches everywhere. Believe me it's as disgusting as it sounds.

There are many other examples of situations the contribute to the cycle of crime,poverty,violence,and over all hopelessness. As an adult it's a persons obligation to themselves to try to break the cycle. A 14 years old I doubt most people would be able to. Maybe a super human like yourself. But for the rest of us mere mortals,it's not always that easy.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:44 PM

545 posts, read 594,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Honestly, that is one of the most ignorant statements I've ever heard in my life. How can you say with a straight face that a 14-15 year old child, I will assume growing up in an inner-city area has had the same opportunities as everyone else.

I grew up in a very similar area. Believe me the world looks a lot different on the other side of the tracks. Once again I'm not defending the boys actions,in any way. But you really have no idea what you are talking about. You speak as you have any idea or understanding of what "the cycle" really means. Going by the statements you are making,it's clear you don't.

I'll give you a couple of examples of what contributes to the cycle of crime and poverty. Question,have you ever been walking home from school and stopped by the police? Asked what are you doing in this neighborhood? At the age of 12. Doing nothing wrong at all,just walking home? How many times have the police pointed a gun at you,by mistake? How many times have you seen a person shot? I can honestly say unfortunately all of this has happened to me,and more. You I'll take a wild guess and say,you've never had these or similar experiences. Point being you can't make blanket statements about everyone circumstances.

Also not to mention I'd imagine you had at least one parent who gave a crap. Judging by you conservative pie in the sky comments two. Oh another question. How many times have you went to bed hungry at night,as a child. Living in the projects with roaches everywhere. Believe me it's as disgusting as it sounds.

There are many other examples of situations the contribute to the cycle of crime,poverty,violence,and over all hopelessness. As an adult it's a persons obligation to themselves to try to break the cycle. A 14 years old I doubt most people would be able to. Maybe a super human like yourself. But for the rest of us mere mortals,it's not always that easy.
I beg to differ! Ask a lot of 14, and 12, and 13 year olds from other disadvantaged backgrounds. Other minorities and whites as well who attempt to better themselves while also helping their family out in a positive way. The problem with a large percentage of young black males is their desire to emulate their favorite thug rap artists or punk asses they hang around with to show that they are "da sheet"!!

Old 03-09-2015, 05:06 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Honestly, that is one of the most ignorant statements I've ever heard in my life. How can you say with a straight face that a 14-15 year old child, I will assume growing up in an inner-city area has had the same opportunities as everyone else. ....
Are you familiar with Charlotte and where this happened?

Old 03-09-2015, 05:43 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,516,308 times
Quote:
Are you familiar with Charlotte and where this happened?
No. But I would imagine it looks a lot like where I grew up in SE Raleigh. There are similar areas all over America. Not to mention the larger cities in N.C.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
  1. If murders continue at the rate they did in January/February, then there will be ~90 murders in Charlotte for 2015. This will be a 100% increase over 2014 using your own numbers.
  2. Detroit, Chicago and Birmingham are irrelevant to this topic.
  3. You continue to interchange "violent crime" and homicides (a subset) throughout your analysis.
1. That's a gigantic "if" based on a small subset a data, a no-no. And they aren't my numbers, I'm not out there polling anyone. Feel free to supply ANYTHING to support your argument besides a 60 day period.
2. Violent and non-violent crime are down all across the city. You then made some half handed statement about random patches of the US where there is no crime (for some reason, I'm not sure the point). So again, I had to emphasize I'm referring specifically to cities like Detroit, Chicago and Birmingham and Charlotte. It's as if my point is they are all cities. And we are on a message board about cities. Called city data. Weird.
3. I'm not interchanging anything. The first post I made, I said both violent and non violent crime were dropping in Charlotte, using the table provided. Click the link and stare at it and come back to me and tell me otherwise. If I need to spell out the table and reference each component for you (homicides, for example), then look at homicide rates in 2000, then read from left to right until you reach 2012. Then compare those figures.

I then referenced specifically homicides in a separate post.

You've yet to provide any sort of evidence to support anything you are arguing. Just try poorly to pick and choose what you think I'm saying. The data says it all. But I'll say it again for you. Crime in Charlotte, both violent and non-violent, continues to decrease.

Last edited by LosHogan; 03-09-2015 at 06:57 PM..

Old 03-09-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
I dunno, maybe he should have shot the parents too and ended the "Toxic" environment? Instead, you probably want to form a committee. Study the reasons why he was out. Start a program for the young kid old enough to know he shouldn't be doing this and yet compelling reason to continue to protect himself from himself/Darwin, invite the media, begin to protest with hands up, don't shoot rhetoric in a desperate attempt to bring the decedent back and make him a "folk hero" for demonstrating such wise, and innocent behavior.

Demand a $1,000,000 grant to "study the problem" to which $999,999,999 will got staff for salaries and the rest to real estate and a Cadillac with magnetic stickers.

Yeah, that will help. I can see if we study the e-thuggery around North Tryon that eventually the problems will change. I mean, after all, these programs have been soooooo effective for NYC, Philly, Chicago, Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles so sure, I'm sure they can work in Charlotte....

Probably the same logic that helps to form the next local chapter of Drunk Drivers Against Mad Mothers (DDAMM)....sure, go ahead....it's the cops fault, right?

Buy him an extra mag and a few more boxes of ammo. The results will never be quicker and the cost never less.

That was my next post, verbatim.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:19 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancenc View Post
I beg to differ! Ask a lot of 14, and 12, and 13 year olds from other disadvantaged backgrounds. Other minorities and whites as well who attempt to better themselves while also helping their family out in a positive way. The problem with a large percentage of young black males is their desire to emulate their favorite thug rap artists or punk asses they hang around with to show that they are "da sheet"!!
Is this a joke?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte