Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 05:23 PM

672 posts, read 1,831,283 times

Advertisements

Here is a recent link about Merry's progress:
Abused puppy on road to recovery 1:09 PM | Local News | News for Charlotte, North Carolina | WCNC.com | Local News (http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/stories/wcnc-010408-al-puppyabused.b82e5ea.html - broken link)

A few months ago Merry was allegedly beaten by her owner. Now she is back on all four paws as she continues to heal from two broken legs and a broken pelvis. I received an email today from the Clinic who is caring for Merry b/c I was one of the people who supplied $ for her surgery. Here is the email:

[SIZE=2]As you may know, January 10 was the court date for Sylvester Conyers, who was accused of beating his 4-month old puppy so severely for wetting the floor that both femurs were broken at the hip socket and it suffered a punctured lung, among other bruises. When the Kannapolis police officer arrived, the dog was bleeding from the mouth and could not walk. The police officer took the dog to the Cabarrus Emergency Vet Clinic, with statements that the dog was choked with a chain for not eating, was routinely abused and appeared to have cigarette burns under her chin. Mr. Conyers was good enough to sign over the dog to the authorities in lieu of forking out the $3000 required for orthopedic surgery. Merry, as she is now called, is on her way to full recovery and will be adopted into a good home.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Six people sat in the court room all morning to hear this case, wearing our animal organization shirts. Another six were prepared to cover the afternoon if needed – most cases involving traffic and misdemeanor violations are heard in the morning and cases like this are farther down the docket. At 11:35, just before noon recess, Mr. Conyers appeared in his orange jumpsuit, as he is currently in jail for domestic violence as well, and entered a plea of not guilty, as well as notice that he did not want an attorney but would represent himself. Apparently he took these charges pretty lightly – after all, it is just a dog. He also is charged with other crimes, including possession of illegal drugs and assault, for which he invested in an attorney.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] It was our understanding upon leaving the courtroom that the case would be continued and would be tried later this month or in February. We spoke with a court official in the hallway who told us to call today and get the new date so we could return.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] I was shocked this morning to hear that Judge McGee called the case back at the end of the day and found Mr. Conyers not guilty of animal abuse. It may be possible that he wanted to dispense of it without a lot of attention, as the dog has been in the media quite a bit, and he did not want us present. At any rate, I am very distressed that once again, Cabarrus County, NC judges have ruled against animals, as they did in 2004 with the case of puppies buried alive and in 2005 with a breeder who chopped off tails without anesthesia, using an ax to dock schnauzer’s tails at 4 months of age. Both offenders were acquitted, and apparently the record holds for zero convictions in Cabarrus County.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] What does it take, folks? Clearly the link between animal abuse and domestic violence was proved by Mr. Conyers. How much more does an animal have to suffer, or how many more have to be tortured, to win a case here?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] I spoke with the Assistant District Attorney Andy Bowman during recess and thanked him for trying this case. He told me that in light of the Vick case, animal cruelty is being prosecuted more seriously. That should not make the difference – however, I made it clear to him that we are following Mr. Conyers’ case. He has not yet returned my calls this morning to find out what went wrong yesterday. However, it is my understanding that his only witness was the girlfriend who called the police. No one from the vet clinic was summoned and to my knowledge, the xrays of the broken hips were not used. The girlfriend failed to show up as the only witness.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] If you agree with me that this decision was morally and legally despicable, please write to District Court Judge Martin McGee and to District Attorney Roxann Vaneekhoven and to Assistant District Attorney Andrew Bowman. You might also write to Chief District Court Judge William Hamby, who ruled in 2004 that burying sick puppies alive was an acceptable form of euthanasia.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] The address for all of them is PO Box 70, Concord, NC 28026. Please do not call or email, as that ties up other employees who may be sympathetic and also impedes other serious legal communications.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] You can remind them that all hold elected positions and at next elections, we will remember the low value placed on animal rights.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] It only takes a minute to address an envelope and write on any piece of paper – “ Conyers vs. Dog - This was not justice.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Thanks,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Patsy Beeker[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Concord[/SIZE][SIZE=2], NC[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]I for one will be writing a letter to the Chief District Court Judge. If anyone else would like to do the same please do and lets stop this from happening. [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 05:50 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,748 times
Not guilty huh? He'll get his one day.

There is a special place in hell for animal abusers

Glad the pup is better, in better hands anyway.

I would adopt her in a heartbeat.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
Not guilty huh? He'll get his one day.

There is a special place in hell for animal abusers

Glad the pup is better, in better hands anyway.

I would adopt her in a heartbeat.
I am not sure how the adoption process is going to work yet, I don't think she has a family lined up. If anyone would be interested in adopting her, you can contact: Terrik1981@aol.com at the clinic.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
I am not sure how the adoption process is going to work yet, I don't think she has a family lined up. If anyone would be interested in adopting her, you can contact: Terrik1981@aol.com at the clinic.

Thanks! I sent an email about adoption.

With a case like this in the media, people are knocking down the door trying to adopt. But, I can try .

I had tried to adopt a German Shepherd that was on the show Animal Precinct from NY. It was basically, an uncared for junkyard dog, that was absolutely covered in the biggest ticks I've ever seen. He looked so miserable. I figured, by the time the showed aired, someone surely adopted him. I had called anyway and they said he was not adopted yet and still under medical care. She said there was a list of people interested in the adoption and that my name would be placed on the list.

In the end, it turns out, I was one person away from the adoption. However that one person qualified and got him. That person lived on a farm in NY, so they had plenty of room for him to roam.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:02 AM
ADR

171 posts, read 518,176 times
Default Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont live in this county so I cant vote but if you are in t his county please write these clowns adn let them know the election is just around the corne so they can start packing there stuff.

Are judges electable positions? I sure a heck hope so adn hope ya'll vote these idiots out.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:08 AM
ADR

171 posts, read 518,176 times
NKJAWS

Please post this on other forums like charlotte.coms carolina issues and any other forum where Cab county folks might read this.

This is a trevesty.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADR View Post
NKJAWS

Please post this on other forums like charlotte.coms carolina issues and any other forum where Cab county folks might read this.

This is a trevesty.
Yes, I will look into doing that. I think that the judges are elected postions. At any rate, even if we don't live in that county we can still send our disapproval letters to the address in my first post and threaten voting issues, as they can't be sure who can/can't vote in that county. If they feel threatened, then maybe the case will be brought back and this will stand as a reminder that people are watching...and do not agree with this injustice.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:52 AM

Default Update

Well the latest news how this former owner was found not guilty has outraged all who put $ forth for Merry to have her surgery. I have received countless emails today here is the latest:
Hi -

I received this email from Dan Taylor (cut and pasted below ). I am willing to sign a well-drafted complaint. Anyone else willing to step up to the plate?

How the whole situation with Merry was handled really stinks on many levels.

[SIZE=3]Janine:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I would file a complaint with NC Judicial Conduct Committee on this moron. I’ll be glad to help draft it if you guys below will sign it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Dan Taylor, Founder APC[/SIZE]

Old 01-12-2008, 09:21 PM

I'll sign anything but a blank check.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
I'll sign anything but a blank check.
Yes, me too. Whenever I receive the form to sign I will post it on this site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte